Skip navigation

Long lost Cabriolet GTI

Back to the top

Long lost Cabriolet GTI

Good stuff!!!  Planning on getting mine back up n sorted by the end of May, ready for the real sun…n when the tax runs out on the sh*tting megane.  Suddenly out of nowhere I've decided to attack the body work myself with no experience…could be interesting!ha  Only going to be a temporary fix, more to protect, until I can afford a pro.  Good to see you getting the tin top up n running too.  I love it!!!  Fingers crossed for them both dude

Back to the top

Mark1GTiCab said

Amazing news AtotheJ…where do i get one from?

I got mine, from my local VW delaer but I suppose that now you've got the (hopefully) right code you can get it anywhere

Back to the top
Thanks, i'll report back on the paint…and i say get stuck in on the bodywork, it's the only way to learn…

How it looks today…chrome bumpers sold and black added, got Mars Red to touch up the grill trim…and back to get it's MOT ticket today

Ole

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
Now has MOT…yippee

Just need to add the Mars Red grill trim end pieces, which have been off to get a fresh coat of the Mars…

This will now see daily action until maybe even November….

Still got Mohair hood to fit, and loud exhaust to remove…amongst other things…

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
Got the red grills ends on and took pics

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
You know of the Rat??

I've a crazy plan to move the internals back and forth between this and the Rat…

I'm keeping the Rat's shell, and when stripped of bits, gonna build ti back up…love the reg plate too much to scrap it

Photos of the blue's mohair roof today…well gimme an hour or so and should have main part of hood on

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
See post below, my pictures mucked up...

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top

I hacked some more away

Below shows the nice headlining coming off the old hood

Below show the nice mohair hood, with very dirty white headlining…just need to swap em…horrible job

The scene looked like this

Offering up the headlining, attaches in 4 of the wierdest ways

New hood, with nice black headlining, nearly finished being attached on the inside

This did take me many hours over several days, still a few bits to go…as the headlining supports are weaved throughout the hood, and it has straps running through also which pull the back window up…

Good thing about the mohair hoods is they hang down a lot deeper on the edges, and make for a neater line along the edge of the hood

A good 8 hours put it there like :)

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
a view of the rear, love how the mohair fits :)

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
Sold the RZ's  8O

Hope I don't regret that…but does look sweet on black MiM 1900's

Pictures to follow, now very much blue and black as a colour theme :)

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
Looking really good with the blue mohair  8) Look forward to the pics with the new wheels.

I see what you mean about the headlining being a horrible job.  Blimey.  Must have been a good moment when you first savaged the outer skin with the Stanley knife though :twisted:

<b>Mister Wild</b>
'91 Rivage leather

Back to the top
Ooops, update below

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
Here a picture of the MIM 1900's

Also fitted a deep shin spoiler

Fitting the hood is ok, it was the headliner which is a nightmare job…and cutting into the old hood, helped me see how it attached, which was hard whilst it was all together…

And a picture showing the deep chin spoiler, sat next to my Syncro at work

Might have 256mm brakes coming, just hope the fact their on polo struts is ok, they should bolt off it hope!?

And one of the rear, note the special tailpipe, it knows when it's got a hole, and books itself into quickfit via bluetooth

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
Looking good. I think your rear cable needs drifting in further though, you shouldn't be able to see it from the back or sides. Chortle helped with mine, used a plastic drift to hammer it in then a piece of wood and hammer to flatten down the lip so you can't see the cable.

Nice one for doing it yourself, lovely colour car as well.

Back to the top
It is a nice one, i think it's the colour, as it does get people staring and commenting…it is also quite loud which causes some looks…going for a quieter back box soon

And the cable looked ready to snap, so didn't tighten it…new one arrived yesterday £25 was bit much, but couldn't find anything else out there…

Will follow your advice on the final tightening though…it deserves a good finish on the job.

Still got a lot to do as this car has had a hard time in 2009…It's in good shape though…it's been in group ownership up here in newcastle since we brought it up from London 2 years ago…however is now my sole toy…shall get some more pics up…as i remove more of the mods which don't suit it.

I do now believe the paint is a VW one…so maybe i'll avoid a full re-spray

Also going Economy gearbox from a mk2 4+E…anyone else done this…expecting a nice crusing 70mph to be 3000rpm…and i'll lose the 2nd gear crunch in the bargain…anyhoo…more soon

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
Unreal - just spotted and bought the rare plastic apron valance trim pieces from the ebay…i'm so running no bumper for a little bit…

Also got new top mounts and legal pressed plates for this…and hopefully taking it to VW Fest :)

Mk1 Owners meet next year though :)

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.