RichardKC6 said

dubboy said

They are all different VW designated models based on A1 platform:

14 = Caddy
15 = Cabrio
16 = Jetta
17 = Golf
53 = Scirocco

To say a Jetta is more of a Golf than a Scirocco based on panels is stupid. Jetta is a completely different shell and panels.

Completely different? So you can't fit a Jetta bonnet, front wings, doors, windscreen, scuttle, floorpan sections ahead of the rear beam, inner wings, etc. to a Golf 5/3dr without extensively modifying them? I mean, really, what MAKES a car other than the mechanical configuration (which the Scirocco shares) and the overall design?

Fair enough. Despite having the type numbers RIGHT THERE giving the differentiation (all the Golf derivatives have a 1 in front of their type). I can't decide if people are arguing for the sake of it, or if I'm missing something really flaming obvious, but it's pretty clear to me that the Jetta is a Golf derivative and the Scirocco is a platform derivative - just as I'm quite able to tell that a new Scirocco is in no way related to a Mk 1 anything from VW. I mean, I have eyes, and I can see that a Jetta is a Golf with a bit stuck on the end and a grille similar to the USA-market Golf. I don't understand why this escapes other people's notice.

The 1960s prototypes for the Golf weren't Golfs. They were attempts to make the Brasilia smaller, were aircooled and many were rear-engined. Quite apart from the fact that I was only rephrasing to reflect the launch of the vehicles for the hard of thinking to attempt to avoid more stupid strawman arguments.

Glad u seen sense there mate. So its settled then my Scirocco is in as far as the MK1OC is concerned but what about the Range Rover?

Back to the top

x5pea said

Glad u seen sense there mate. So its settled then my Scirocco is in as far as the MK1OC is concerned but what about the Range Rover?

What are you on about? As far as I can tell, your comments are nowt but an attempt to try and misinterpret whatever I'm saying, like this rubbish about including Range Rovers. I understand that you disagree with me and are unable to explain, really, a rational way in which a Jetta is not a variation of a Mk 1 Golf other than saying "it's got something different written on it" and "I don't like them"; disagreement is fine (also, FWIW "appear to have" isn't assuming anything - if you have a username with x5pea in it and an avatar of an X5, you appear to have an X5. Assumption is not an issue).

So, go on. Explain to me how what I've written includes the new Scirocco as an A1-Platform Golf body derivative or suggests that cars other than variations of the Mk 1 Golf (which as far as I'm concerned includes Caddy. Cabriolet, Rabbit, Jetta, VW Atlantic, Citi - as variations of the Golf body - and excludes the Scirocco as a different bodyshell on the A1 platform) should enjoy full membership of the club.

And yes, I do disagree with the policy that the Jetta is excluded from for sale sections - partly because I think that if if a Jetta owner wishes to become a member of this club given the support offered, and the club is prepared to take their membership fees, it's downright daft to then deny them part of that membership on such a silly distinction. No cars other than Mk 1 Golf derivatives? Perfectly sensible, otherwise you'd get people flogging their passats and Audi A3s and so forth. Given that the current exclusion works fine and you're not battling members who own other cars and then advertise them, I don't see how allowing Mk 1 Golfs with boots to be advertised will suddenly open the floodgates for Range Rovers, XR3s or anything else.

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
1993 Jeep Cherokee. 1985 Scimitar SS1
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top

RichardKC6 said

x5pea said

What are you on about? As far as I can tell, your comments are nowt but an attempt to try and misinterpret whatever I'm saying, like this rubbish about including Range Rovers. I understand that you disagree with me and are unable to explain, really, a rational way in which a Jetta is not a variation of a Mk 1 Golf other than saying "it's got something different written on it" and "I don't like them"; disagreement is fine (also, FWIW "appear to have" isn't assuming anything - if you have a username with x5pea in it and an avatar of an X5, you appear to have an X5. Assumption is not an issue).

So, go on. Explain to me how what I've written includes the new Scirocco as an A1-Platform Golf body derivative or suggests that cars other than variations of the Mk 1 Golf (which as far as I'm concerned includes Caddy. Cabriolet, Rabbit, Jetta, VW Atlantic, Citi - as variations of the Golf body - and excludes the Scirocco as a different bodyshell on the A1 platform) should enjoy full membership of the club.

And yes, I do disagree with the policy that the Jetta is excluded from for sale sections - partly because I think that if if a Jetta owner wishes to become a member of this club given the support offered, and the club is prepared to take their membership fees, it's downright daft to then deny them part of that membership on such a silly distinction. No cars other than Mk 1 Golf derivatives? Perfectly sensible, otherwise you'd get people flogging their passats and Audi A3s and so forth. Given that the current exclusion works fine and you're not battling members who own other cars and then advertise them, I don't see how allowing Mk 1 Golfs with boots to be advertised will suddenly open the floodgates for Range Rovers, XR3s or anything else.

yeah i love them too and to be fair its a pretty awesome car Good luck with the sale  8)

ps ive had 133 cars in 16 years…  :wink:

Back to the top

x5pea said

yeah i love them too and to be fair its a pretty awesome car Good luck with the sale  8)

ps ive had 133 cars in 16 years…  :wink:

Good luck with what sale?

And good for you, I hope you've enjoyed them. The amount of money I've lost due to being obsessed with (addicted to, essentially) cars is downright depressing frankly, though having seen how much you spent on the Mk 1 you're flogging, I expect you've probably managed to lose more money in a shorter space of time, too ;)

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top
If the club did allow and accept adverts for Mk1 Jetta's it would hardly result in the cars for sale board being unindated with Mk1 Jetta adverts. It would be a boost for the club and has no real effect on members - if I'm not in the market for a mk1 Jetta I don't read the Mk1 Jetta f/s adverts.

The club is a great resource and has helped me out no end, but when it comes to rules and regs like this it really frustrates me. I have no idea of the work involved by the mods but surely they should help the site by picking up the stray threads and tidying up at the edges, the posts and site should really lead itself. This hard line policing is surely just a bit of a 'little hitler' approach.

I'm a lover of all things VW (admittedly pre '94) and can appreciate them all. I have no resentment to the Caddy owners on here, and am currently a Cabriolet owner. Tintop owners are more than happy to pilfer cabriolet parts, yet there are posts here questioning the Cabriolet's credentials as being valid as members of this site. Yet we openly embrace heavily customised Mk1's for example fitted with Bentley wheels, porsche seats and Mk2 Golf/Corrado 16V engines, I'd say that was further off the original VW Mk1 Golf spec than a standard Mk1 Jetta. :roll:

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top

RichardKC6 said

Completely different? So you can't fit a Jetta bonnet, front wings, doors, windscreen, scuttle, floorpan sections ahead of the rear beam, inner wings, etc. to a Golf 5/3dr without extensively modifying them? I mean, really, what MAKES a car other than the mechanical configuration (which the Scirocco shares) and the overall design?

What makes a car different is the manufacturing BOM, not what you can and cannot fit onto a car. Both Scirocco and Jetta bodies are made of many different manufacturing part numbers to the Golf, including front panel, body sides, rear wheel tubs, rear floor, rear panel, wings, doors, tailgates. Then there are interior parts, dashboards, rear seats, rear seat belts, etc. Then exterior parts, rear window, mouldings, seals, bumpers, wheel trims, etc. Then electrical parts, wiring harness, front and rear lights, indicators, etc.

RichardKC6 said

the Jetta is a Golf derivative and the Scirocco is a platform derivative
There is no such thing as Golf derivative. It is purely marketing on what each model is called and the Club has decided to make the name plate the deciding factor on the very few matters in realistic terms where exclusions apply. Using the name plate seems easy to understand and fair to me and a lot of others. As I said a line needs to be drawn somewhere for the fairness of everyone. Personally I would not like to see Sciroccos on the Club stands for example where there is a high demand and spaces are limited. Not that I don't like Sciroccos, I do (and have very dood friends with them), but there is already a Club/Register for them as there is for Jettas (who had a good stand at Stonor last year). So my opinion is to let the Jetta Club grow as we have done with the power of the internet. After all it gives us an excuse to walk around the shows and talk to other people.

RichardKC6 said

The 1960s prototypes for the Golf weren't Golfs. They were attempts to make the Brasilia smaller, were aircooled and many were rear-engined.
The EA prototypes (of not all were water cooled or rear engined) were to replace the Beetle, what has the name or technical solution got to do with it? The point is they were not developing a small run coupe, but a high volume hatchback, eventually named "Golf". The platform derivatives came later in development terms.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

RichardKC6 said

What makes a car different is the manufacturing BOM, not what you can and cannot fit onto a car. Both Scirocco and Jetta bodies are made of many different manufacturing part numbers to the Golf, including front panel, body sides, rear wheel tubs, rear floor, rear panel, wings, doors, tailgates. Then there are interior parts, dashboards, rear seats, rear seat belts, etc. Then exterior parts, rear window, mouldings, seals, bumpers, wheel trims, etc. Then electrical parts, wiring harness, front and rear lights, indicators, etc.

On that basis, the BOM of a Series II GTi is very different to a Series 1 1.1. Honestly, outside of arguing over semantics, are you really saying that the Jetta is not based on the Golf's body? Despite the exceptionally clear, visual and technical information that it is a Golf-with-a-boot, and the different front panels equally take into account regional variations.

I'm not suggesting that the club chooses to represent the Jetta, I'm saying that it's ridiculous to have such a hard line stance on excluding the Mk 1 Jetta from adverts/shows when the Caddy, Rabbit, Citi and Cabriolet are all included, and that arguing that the Jetta is a different car holds absolutely no water given how vastly different the bodies of the cabriolet and Caddy are. Yes, a line should be drawn somewhere, I thoroughly agree - however, I think that line should be "Mk 1 A1 Type 1x cars" - cars which use the A1 platform and a type designation beginning with 1, thus indicating a derivation of the Golf body (the Scirocco being a different car and more like lumping New Beetles and Golfs together). Particularly when the other clubs mentioned as reasons to make this distinction allow other VWs to be advertised without any issues, and don't cover something so focused and technically relevant as a group of models that share the same basic structure and componentry - a "Jetta, Caddy or Golf" forum can typically cover up to 6 generations of car, with huge differences in the processes, relevant technical information, demographic, relevant scenes and so forth.

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Back to the top

RichardKC6 said

dubboy said

RichardKC6 said

On that basis, the BOM of a Series II GTi is very different to a Series 1 1.1. Honestly, outside of arguing over semantics, are you really saying that the Jetta is not based on the Golf's body? Despite the exceptionally clear, visual and technical information that it is a Golf-with-a-boot, and the different front panels equally take into account regional variations.

I'm not suggesting that the club chooses to represent the Jetta, I'm saying that it's ridiculous to have such a hard line stance on excluding the Mk 1 Jetta from adverts/shows when the Caddy, Rabbit, Citi and Cabriolet are all included, and that arguing that the Jetta is a different car holds absolutely no water given how vastly different the bodies of the cabriolet and Caddy are. Yes, a line should be drawn somewhere, I thoroughly agree - however, I think that line should be "Mk 1 A1 Type 1x cars" - cars which use the A1 platform and a type designation beginning with 1, thus indicating a derivation of the Golf body (the Scirocco being a different car and more like lumping New Beetles and Golfs together). Particularly when the other clubs mentioned as reasons to make this distinction allow other VWs to be advertised without any issues, and don't cover something so focused and technically relevant as a group of models that share the same basic structure and componentry - a "Jetta, Caddy or Golf" forum can typically cover up to 6 generations of car, with huge differences in the processes, relevant technical information, demographic, relevant scenes and so forth.

Jetta —– Golf ——-Jetta ——- Golf

J  E  T  T  A  >>>>>>>>>  G O  L  F

ITS A JETTA this is the mk1 GOLF owners club, As such it dont fit the criteria, i dont see whats so hard to understand. It was a bloody flop in this country anyway and its a well know fact that it looks like ass.

When my daughter was a baby she had a Wooden box with various shaped holes cut out of it, the box also came with lots of colourful shapes.

The aim of the game was to take a triangle for example and fit it into the box via the triangle shaped hole. likewise the circle, square ….. u get the idea? Anyway the point is that when she tried to put the circle in the same hole as the triangle it didnt quite fit even thought it was the same colour as the triangle and made of the same material it wouldnt go in the hole. It had its own hole in the box which it wouldnt fit into.

Keeping with this theme the Jetta has its own home, that it fits into and its www.jettaownersclub.co.uk not the MK1 Golf Owners Club.

Back to the top
The line when the club formed was that it was solely for the Mk1 Golf. Hence the name. The welcome page gives details of what the club is about…..

"Hello and welcome to the Mk1 Golf Owners' Club!

You're doubtless aware that there are a huge number of Volkswagen, Golf, hot hatch and other such clubs and organisations out there, and wondering what makes us different and why would you want to join up here rather than elsewhere?

Well, here's our sales pitch!

1. We're aiming for the, dare we say it, slightly more mature owner! Whilst mucking about with cars is undoubtedly fun, we're after people who are taking a slightly more long-term view of ownership of their Golf.

2. We're here for the Mk1 Golf only. !

3. We're not solely devoted to the GTI. Yes, it's great, but it's only part of the 'Golf' story. We also want to look after the rest of the range, including the cabriolets, diesels and the smaller engined variants too. These cars are just as historically important as the GTI. "

so it can come as no surprise to people who then, with little more than a handful of posts, then try and change the very basis of the clubs' history. Since 2001 this club and its predecessor 'The Campaign Register' were here to provide assistance to the owners of one sole model - the Mk1 GOLF. Over the years this issue has been debated over and over.
Nowhere in the membership rules does it say that you have to own Golf, only to be a fan of the car. We have never professed to include other variations but member can post any topic regarding their individual vehicle whether that be a Mitsubishi Pajaro, Ford Focus ST or Mk3 Golf.

As the chairman has already stated the only exceptions that come into play are,

1. Cars other than Mk1 Golf's aren't allowed on club stands at shows (unless there is space when the Golf's submitted don't turn up) and the owners have to be paid members.
2. Only Mk1 Golf's are allowed to be sold via the site. (We have tried to charge for car sales on the forum but that idea was changed a while ago).

Other than that there are very few rules that are enforced strictly.

The club has existed very well as the sole club for Mk1 Golf's specifically and by accepting other marques it will only water down the expertise that is held within the club. Outside agencies such as press and TV have requested our assistance on previous occasions.
At shows we display the MK1OC banner, people have seen the flag and banners at numerous shows and know that there will be a wealth of knowledge to help them with problems if they ask. If they approached and saw a row of Jetta's (and they'd want to be included if the rules changed) surely they'd be confused and question why they were there.

The bottom line of the club is that it is a club run by and for Mk1 GOLF enthusiasts and while they may share an interest for all things VAG across the range, it specifically caters ONLY for that marque of car.

In case anyone wishes to reacquaint themselves with the objectives of the club, see here….

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=12

Back to the top

x5pea said

Jetta —– Golf ——-Jetta ——- Golf

J  E  T  T  A  >>>>>>>>>  G O  L  F

Calm down dear.  :mrgreen:

As has been stated previously, the Jetta owners' club covers all Jettas. There are also Golf owners' clubs that cover all Golfs, and so on ad nauseum. I know you're having trouble understanding my point here - that excluding the Mk 1 Jetta whilst including other Mk 1 variants is just silly - but each counter you seem to offer merely reinforces the silliness of the exclusion. Cabriolets and Caddys are also not "Golf shaped blocks".

Maybe you should go back to playing with those blocks for a while and have a think, eh? Instead of just arguing, actually THINK about the points being made and contribute something. It doesn't matter if you like Jettas or not, or whether or not they're a commercial success (being reasonable, if it were a flop here then it would surely be in need of more support now it's 30 years old, and what better place for support than an excellent club that deals exclusively with the Mk 1 Golf and variations thereof such as the Caddy and Cabriolet, even though those vehicles already have clubs available to them.

Have a think. Show your working. Explain why - other than simply repeating that the words Golf and Jetta are different - this exclusion makes sense when the inclusion of other body variants is taken for granted (indeed, I've seen more and better Mk 1 Caddy info on here than anywhere else). I can see you're enthusiastic about Golfs, you've sank more money into getting one built than most people would spend on their main family car.

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Back to the top

Dano said

3. We're not solely devoted to the GTI. Yes, it's great, but it's only part of the 'Golf' story. We also want to look after the rest of the range, including the cabriolets, diesels and the smaller engined variants too. These cars are just as historically important as the GTI. "

And the Caddy, seemingly.

I've read that welcome page already, and the point about the handful of posts is duly noted and ignored; though if you want to fire a PayPal refund back I'll be happy to accept that clearly membership of a club is based on how much you ramble on forums, rather than, say, choosing to support the organisation financially and that my decision to become a paid member was clearly the wrong one.

I am not suggesting the club changes. I am suggesting that the Mk 1 Jetta has considerably more in common with the Mk 1 Golf, as a variation of the Golf's bodystyle, than it has with multiple generations of Jetta, or indeed the Caddy - and that this single exclusion from the range of vehicles that are derived from the Mk 1 Golf makes absolutely no sense. Not that it should be a VAG-club, not that it should be anything other than what it is, but that the semantic argument about whether a Mk 1 Jetta should be included shouldn't even exist. If it were a VW Golf Classic, you wouldn't exclude it - any more than you keep non GTi Golfs, or Cabriolets, or Caddys from being advertised.

You're not going to see rows of Jettas at club shows. It's like saying you wouldn't want to include G60s in a Mk II Golf club because then all you'd get would be G60s and they're hardly the same as a normal Mk II anyway, the BOM is different.

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Back to the top

RichardKC6 said

You have to compare like with like on a time basis. An 83 Jetta is way more different to a 83 Golf  than an 83 GTi on a part number basis. I am saying Jetta, Cabrio, Caddy and Scirocco are all based off the A1 platform first developed for Golf.

RichardKC6 said

To my knowledge Caddys are treated the same as Jettas, but maybe I missed something. If you have a Jetta on a show club stand then I think it says you are representing them. If you open the gate though there is a risk that somebody then says "hey you let in Jettas, why not Caddy, Mk1 Scirocco?". Then "hey you let in Mk1 Scirocco, why not Mk2 Scirocco?" Then "hey you let in all Mk1, what about my Mk1 Polo?" Everyone has a different opinion. Let's remember what the Club is about and why it was founded, ie to cater for the "Mk1 Golf" (distinguishable by the name on the back) and ensure its existance on the road. If somebody wants to set up a Mk1 Polo or Jetta club then great I am all for it.

Banner

Back to the top

RichardKC6 said

I've read that welcome page already, and the point about the handful of posts is duly noted and ignored; though if you want to fire a PayPal refund back I'll be happy to accept that clearly membership of a club is based on how much you ramble on forums, rather than, say, choosing to support the organisation financially and that my decision to become a paid member was clearly the wrong one.

I am not suggesting the club changes.

Come to the AGM and have your say, you are entitled to it as a member. Some folks are just trying to explain what has happened in the past and why the club has made the decision it has. Sometimes it is not easy to sit on one side of the fence when it has an impact on the other for people who run the club. You say the club has helped you and is a good source of info. So why risk that by not being a member? That seems hardly a fair arguement.

Banner

Back to the top

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Back to the top
Fair do's, I didn't know it was possible to sell Caddys. I will check.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Come to the AGM and have your say, you are entitled to it as a member. Some folks are just trying to explain what has happened in the past and why the club has made the decision it has. Sometimes it is not easy to sit on one side of the fence when it has an impact on the other for people who run the club. You say the club has helped you and is a good source of info. So why risk that by not being a member? That seems hardly a fair arguement.

Primarily, there's no risk. There are loads of Golf forums out there, including http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk/ - though I see their For Sale page has cars other than Golf Cabriolets in it. It seems perfectly fair to have my opinion undermined on the basis that I have a low post count and to take that as implication that opinions only carry weight if measured against certain metrics. As far as I'm concerned "putting your money where your mouth is" is a fairly tried and tested metric of support for something.

I don't think anyone's made a sensible case for the Jetta based on past forum discussions, largely because they end up with a group of forum regulars saying "it says GOLF on the club!" without actually listening to the points made. It's a simple change; let the booted Golf be advertised in the terribly rare situations that someone might ask. There are so many Golfs in the club that the show stand is never going to be an issue - you'll be oversubscribed with good Golfs (and if that 4Motion/VR6 Caddy gets finished, I'd damn well want to see it on a stand to be fair), and it simply extends the welcome, support and integration to a car which is to all intents and purposes, a Golf with a boot, not a sporting coupé based on one (or even a commercial vehicle with the front end of one).

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Back to the top
I can tell you that I supported all A1 platform to be allowed if the Caddy was allowed and indeed raised such a poll many years ago. At the time it was decided not to allow either. To me that seemed fair. BTW we don't subscribe to how good your car is to allow it on a club stand unless there is a specific selection rule imposed by the show organisers or where we are specifically trying to demonstrate a particular car. We welcome all cars on the stands no matter condition.

Banner

Back to the top
Richard please read this and point out where the club is being unfair to jetta owners?

if you feel you want your money back I will send you the cash personally it will not come out of club funds.

im struggling to see why you are getting so upset as you don't own or are trying to sell a jetta

as for your comment about post counts mean you get heard more is absolute rubbish i don't care who is posting what, if i don't agree i will say so i have had more disagreements with folks on here who have double the post counts i have.

you seem to be having trouble accepting the way things are and will consider quiting the club because things wont change your way.

looking at this current discussion there seems to be more members in favour of the club rules as they are.

please pm me if you wish, but my offer to give you your money back still stands.

I became a member of this club because it catered for the make and model of car i own

if i owned a jetta i would become a member of the jetta owners club and be very proud of it as i am of this club and its uniqueness.

A5OPY said

Im sure some folk are having problems understanding things here

1 IF YOU OWN A JETTA YOU CAN BECOME A MEMBER OF THIS CLUB.

2. YOU CAN POST AND ASK QUESTIONS

3 YOU CAN USE THE FORUMS TECHNICAL SECTIONS FOR TECNOLIGY SHARED WITH YOUR JETTA

4 YOU CAN ATTEND CLUB REGIONAL MEETS

5 YOU CAN CLAIM ALL THE CLUB DISCOUNTS ENTITLED TO YOU WHEN YOU PAY YOUR FEES IF YOU WISH.

This hardly sounds like a club that is being discriminatory is it???

your only restrictions are selling your Jetta in the cars for sale section, and if you love your Jetta that much why sell it??
and no guarantee of a place on a club stand at shows

The reason for this is we have 100s of members who have joined this club because they own a Mk1 Golf and they wish to show it with other Mk1 Golfs it would be unfair to allow another type of VW car on the stand, if we are to allow the jetta the same rights as a Mk1 Golf on this site we WOULD have to change the name of the club to the Mk1 Golf & Jetta Owners Club so we would not be seen to be discriminatory.

This club is here to support the VW Mk1 Golf (its why i joined this club) I will not be wanting to join the Jetta owners Club, unless i decide to buy a Jetta.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

RichardKC6 said

Calm down dear.  :mrgreen:

U having a giraffe, im not the one writing War & Peace every few hours.

Back to the top

A5OPY said

looking at this current discussion there seems to be more members in favour of the club rules as they are.

here here…….

I say we get a Jetta one of the harder to find ones like a 3dr mk1 or whatever and have a ritual burning, ill supply the jetta  :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.