Skip navigation

guys need help!!! please any would be nice

Back to the top

guys need help!!! please any would be nice

Spudfingers said

paul_c said

Spudfingers said

It's not worth what you paid… it's worth what someone else is willing to pay!!

If you're going to sell it then look around and research.  I'm hoping to read up on the series 1 and get one of my own in a few years.  I'll be expecting to pay a fair bit of money for one too as original series 1 are becoming sought after.  Some series 2 have been made to look like series 1 though from what I've seen on other forums (have the rear end changed to look like a swallowtail) which is a bit naughty.  

paul_c when did the series 1 actually finish and the series 2 begin mate?  What is the checklist to prove a series 1?

Exactly! Its not a series 1!

That's what I mean I wouldn't want to be caught out when I look so what defines a series 1?

There's a bunch of info on the home page links that dubboy wrote but basically:

year of manufacture
different dashboard
different rear panel
a whole load of other minor trim and bodywork differences

The year of manufacture is the main one and 100% defines it, since of course you can change/swap around dashboard, body panels, etc. Since its 1981/X, then it MUST be a series 2 unless (very slim chance) it was mysteriously unsold and held back from registration for over a year; or its an import and it was registered later, gaining a plate age-related to its year of registration, not manufacture. Its up to the OP to confirm stuff with a bit more detail, since its details that count and so far we don't have a lot to go on…..

Look at the V5 and it will say "declared manufactured" on it….

Look at the chassis number and there is a year code identifier - 100%

Back to the top
heres how you post up pictures The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

:)

Banner

Back to the top

bertmk1swallowtail said

so how di i upload pics on here
photobucket or sim and click on the IMG code then drag and drop to your post m8

Back to the top
Excellent paul thanks mate.  That should give you something to go on there fella.

I'll be taking note of that for when I come to buy one in a few years.

Back to the top
Another clue is there too - 1.3 CL. 1.3 engine wasn't initially available (they were launched with 1.1 and 1.6 engines - info is on the home page) and the CL badge was used only for series 2s, and even then the first year or so of series 2s still used L, LS, GLS etc

EDIT 1.3 was introduced in 1980, swallowtails were 1974-1976, series 1s were 1974-1980. So only the last year of series 1s got the 1.3 engine.

Basically, it don't add up as a series 1, yet alone a swallowtail…..

Back to the top
the swallowtail rear panel ran up to 75 according to the guide on the homepage then they were just small rear light

anyway!!!!!!!!!!

nevermind all this get some pics up mate no matter what you got its always welcome :) as long as it's a mk1

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
it's a series 2 as it has large rear light

looks like a good car

has it MOT???

i'd personally keep it standard :)

Banner

Back to the top
I dunno if 1976 swallowtail is real or not - depends how you describe it - 1976 model year or registered date, etc etc? The eBay link to a real (looks real) swallowtail lists it as 1976 so I typed it in. For the best resource, look at :

Swallowtail info

Back to the top

Back to the top

jaycab said

paul_c said

bertmk1swallowtail said

any ideas wht it could be worth will upload some photos tomo when i have cleaned it up and brought it back tolife a bit

Yep, £150! Thats what you paid for it!
Paul c say's it worth what you paid ,so i will give you£300.00 for it,with out seeing it,if you help me get it to my house,so you double your money for getting it to me :dontknow:

Delivery will be £149 LOL

Back to the top
it hasnt mot but when it was taken off the road when mot expired was taking for pre mot and it need too rear wheel cylinders that has been done apparently going to ghave a real good look through it so does anyone know what i own yet ?? i aint got a clue

Back to the top
Series 2 mate but looks tidy looks good for £150 that's for sure.

Back to the top
Its a series 2, 1981, X registered, 1.3 CL with no MoT. There's a price guide on the home page.

Back to the top
series 2

1981 i think the X reg was!!!!

Banner

Back to the top
cool will take some proper pics tomo when i have cleaned her up giving it some tlc ect it is really tidy i am awaiting log book and service history as it was last minute but and mate is retreiving it all from THE PAPER WORK DRAW:(

Back to the top

paul_c said

Its a series 2, 1981, X registered, 1.3 CL with no MoT. There's a price guide on the home page.

I swear blind I just plucked the £150 figure out the air - then I checked the price guide and for condition B (which yours is, without an MoT…)……………..

Back to the top
that what he pay for t £150 so he's payed bang on the money :)

Banner

Back to the top
you aint seen have you why do you seem like you have attitude these forums are all th bloody same there is always one thats got to be better than the rest and put people down!!!! whats your issue

Back to the top

bertmk1swallowtail said

you aint seen have you why do you seem like you have attitude these forums are all th bloody same there is always one thats got to be better than the rest and put people down!!!! whats your issue

No issue, I just know my stuff. If its a decent motor, get it MoT'd and you've increased its value!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.