Skip navigation

Classic & Sportscar

Back to the top

Classic & Sportscar

This is going to be in NEXT month's edition - that's the one that'll be out on the first Thursday in March.
"Hot hatchback showdown - Pug 205 vs Genre Defining Golf"
What company we're in …… last month's was Citroen SM v Alfa Montreal, previous was 911 v Dino, this month's is Mercedes 6.9 v Silver Shadow and next month it's US!

Last edit: by lhasadreams

Back to the top
:)  will take a look at that , we all know mk1's rule ……lets hope it's a good one

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
cool
will be a good read
personally i had a 205 1.9gti for nearly 4 years - it was mint & i didnt have much problems with it , but i always missed my mk1 gti not the pug

Back to the top
I think its yomps gti thats doing that feature

Back to the top

Lawsy said

I think its yomps gti thats doing that feature

Certainly is!

It'll be interesting to see what the writer concludes as during the shoot I got the feeling that he prefered the pug, cause his father owned one! :banghead:

Back to the top
Was it a 1.6 or 1.9 Pug?? Once drove a 1.9 and it was quick, unfortunately they're made out of recycled crisp bags laminated together so 2nd place for the Frenchie in my book  :mrgreen: There's nowt like balanced journalism and I suspect it'll be nowt like balanced journalism  :roll:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
hi

Back to the top

kavlfc said

Was it a 1.6 or 1.9 Pug?? Once drove a 1.9 and it was quick, unfortunately they're made out of recycled crisp bags laminated together so 2nd place for the Frenchie in my book  :mrgreen: There's nowt like balanced journalism and I suspect it'll be nowt like balanced journalism  :roll:

The Pug at the shoot was a 1.9. We managed to swap keys at one stage so we could comment on each others cars. It was the 1st time I had driven a pug and yes, it was quicker than the Golf but then it felt quite over-steery into the bends which made me see why so many were put through hedges backwards!

The owner of the Pug left the shoot saying he was off to look for a Golf!!

Back to the top
it's a good article :)
Nice GTI…

'83 :) Golf 1.5 GX - weekender - in pics: 1983 Mk 1 Golf GX - a set on Flickr
'88 T25 camper 2.1 - in pics: Gina the van's renovation - a set on Flickr

Back to the top
Just got my copy.

Maybe being biased here but it is a good article.  :wink:

It was the 1st time I had ever driven a 205 GTI.

I think the writer was pretty spot on with his views, and comments.
Yes I did tell him to drive my Golf like he had stolen it! I was trying to get him to understand just what fun and how forgiving a MK1 GTI can be! :lol:

Back to the top

pug

kavlfc said

I know what u mean mate,had 11 205 GTI`s through the years,used to buy them all up years ago when u could still get them and when i was a bit younger when they were cheap.had loads of 1.6`s + 1.9`s.Bought a mint 1.9 in white from a mechanic locally when i was 18,5 days later i put it on its roof at over 100mph on the mountain(tt course Isle of Man).Had a glass slide back roof,this obviously smashed to bits and my head found its way through it upside down,scraped the top of my unlucky once good lookin head right down to the skull on one side,luckily the seatbelt jammed where it did,the docs reckon if it had jammed on the next click then it would`ve been through the skull+into the brain!Wouldnt have survived.Even after that though i still had a couple,great car in my opinion,but they just dont stand the test of time.Quite a lot of mags in the past have dont the same feature and more often than not say the Peugeot is the better car,but i think they forget,the mk1 was out of production before the 205 GTI was available!So i think some comfort features sway it a little!Elec windows,central locking etc!Will buy the mag though just for the read!

Back to the top
8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Blooming 'eck  :o  

I think I'll just stand in the aisle at Asda and read the article, if I stand there long enough they may whack a Whoops sticker on it  :lol:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
my mate had a few 205 including an Mi16 which was awesome. He had an old man in a porsche pull up next to which my mate smiled to him and the porsche owned laughed. When lights went green the porsche couldn't quite keep up with him haha.

But he has since sold his pugs and now moved to vw's

I always wanted a 205 1.9GTi when i was younger but my clio was enough to put me off french cars lol

\'83 Lhasa Green GX 1457cc

\'53 Mk4 Golf R32, Deep Pearl Blue

\'00 Kawasaki Ninja J1 ZX6R

\'92 B3 Passat Estate 1.6td (Now breaking) 😭

Back to the top

millfischk69 said

. He had an old man in a porsche pull up next to which my mate smiled to him and the porsche owned laughed. When lights went green the porsche couldn't quite keep up with him haha.

I have always remembered a double "S" bend when I was in my 30's and on my way to & from work for 5 years, I was driving an Alfa 1750 Gti, taking these bends I enjoyed so much and felt I owned them,  they were mine,
UNTIL !!
One day a convertible  series 350 Porsche, (Top was down) had caught me up just before these bends so I hit the gas a little harder and through my rear view mirror,  I smiled,  when I saw he was losing the pace,  I hit the first "S" and between that set of bends and the second set,  the Porsche owner did a slingshot on me and was now in front, not only was his driving way beyond believe,  he even found time to give me a polite wave during this fantastic manoeuvre.
He was 70 years + if he was a day.

Now I'm 74 years, an "Old Man" you might say ?.  

It would be a sad day for your friend,  if he still had his PUG and pulled alongside me,  to try and pull the same stunt. on my one owner Golf Gti Campaign.
It was delivered to me new from VW Milton Keynes,  through "Jan Speed"  in Salisbury. (Say no more)

I have owned it from new,  October 1983 and still rally it now and again.

My wife and I came 4th last year over a short 200 mile rally
I'll admit I can't handle them 24 hour Gigs any more, but it only takes 6 secs to reach 60. !
(Miles that is,  not years Thank God)

Best Regards

Tony.
My Campaign

Just a few of the other entrys

Back to the top

Re: Classic & Sportscar

David said

This is going to be in NEXT month's edition - that's the one that'll be out on the first Thursday in March.
"Hot hatchback showdown - Pug 205 vs Genre Defining Golf"
What company we're in …… last month's was Citroen SM v Alfa Montreal, previous was 911 v Dino, this month's is Mercedes 6.9 v Silver Shadow and next month it's US!

Dear David,
Many thanks for your post.
It is what I came here for, I have not seen any Scans of this wonderful article so I thought I might make a start

If you want more let me know as I don't want to Post something that has already been done.
(Its like inventing the "Wheel") or "Cats Eyes".

Best Regards

Tony
tony@arnys-shack.com

Back to the top
I can always grab the PDF's for this article if anyone wants it for the site by the way.

Back to the top
I will only buy these things if the mk1 won  :posh: …… who won  :dontknow:

Back to the top
You'll have trouble buying it! Its the April 2010 issue.

The conclusion is a bit hazy. The final sentence reads 'In truth, that probably makes the Golf GTI the better, more rounded car of the pair. But my name is Russ, and I am a Peugeotholic.'

Back to the top
That's why I say I will only by these things… not "this"  :mrgreen:

Hmmmmmmm….. I'd call that a draw :dontknow:

Back to the top
Sorry I misread.

Its basically a draw, but Russ is biased. Look out for some Mk1 favouritism in the mag very soon though!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.