Skip navigation

Heated seats

Back to the top

Heated seats

I'm considering retro-fitting heated seat elements into my seats. A colleague has a Z4 with heated leather interior and the heated seats keep you really nice and warm when the roof is down. I have a wind deflector in the car but still find that the heater alone doesn't keep the cab area nice and warm when the hood is down.

I have seen aftermarket kits on ebay that look to be good quality and I've also seen a build thread on Edition 38 with a kit fitted into Edition 1 G60 Recaro's.

Can anyone with a Rivage with heated seats post up a picture of the switch/controls. The aftermarket kits switches look fairly OE, but I'd like to see what VW supplied and where they located the switch as standard before going aftermarket.

I think it will be a nice addition to the car, allowing it to be used with the top down on these cold yet sunny days we have been having recently. My main worry is wrecking my seats!

Has anyone else considered or done this?

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
been thinking about putting one of the aftermarket heated seat kit in since I changed my daily. That has and its really toasty, really impressed. Which kits are you thinking about in particular. They seem to come and go on fleabay, very few offering the same kit for very long.

One seller had a few kits a couple of weeks back with carbon heaters and occupancy sensors but seller dissappeared after a few weeks, which is normally a bad sign.

been thinking about these

ebay heated seats

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
I would love to have heated seats but would be inclined not to trust my cabbys battery set-up.  Would also worry about my 24 year old seat material, which is a little threadbare!

Back to the top
They're the one's I've been looking at djheap. Waeco seems to be a good brand for car electricals/accessories and the switches look quite OE, they also do an add-on thermostatic type switch (although it's not as neat looking as the on-off switch).

I know what you mean about the seat material neo, mine are in good condition but I've only experienced heated seats when they are leather (usually freezing on a morning!) and don't want to ruin the seat fabric. I'd be gutted if I fitted the kits, switched them on and melted the seat!

Here's the thread I keep looking back to on Edition 38:

Recaro seat strip down

Has anyone stripped down a fabric Rivage seat? Do they have a thin foam layer between the heater element and the seat cloth?

Back to the top
drop this guy a pm, he lives in canada where heated seats are common as muck, so can get hold of complete VAG kits for most models. got my MK2 Golf setup from him.  if you want to know what MK1 switches look like,  open your owners manual ;)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerouser?cmd=viewprofile&id=297437

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

drop this guy a pm, he lives in canada where heated seats are common as muck, so can get hold of complete VAG kits for most models. got my MK2 Golf setup from him.  

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerouser?cmd=viewprofile&id=297437

Cheers!

rubjonny said

if you want to know what MK1 switches look like,  open your owners manual ;)

Good call  :doh:  :lol:

Back to the top
guess its possible to install a house radiator in the car to keep you warm

Back to the top
Heated seat switch in my Rivage (Top).

I might buy one of those kits because the elemnts in my seats don't work any more. I have the loom and switch in place already, so it shouldn't be too hard at adapt the loom to the new elements.

Back to the top
this will work but only id you cut out the temp sensor unit and splice it into the aftermarket seat base. the VAG setup gets temperature reading so it knows exactly how hot the seats are. if you bypass it with a resistor all you'll get is a constant heat which relates to the resistance you fitted, no adjustability.

the pads are pretty easy to repair, bit of solder and some wire does the trick usually

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
bouchay…  did you check your heated seat relay is still functional? I have just got my passenger side seat working .. my car had previously been leaking  badly and the relay had rusted open

Back to the top
I'm pretty sure I checked with a multimeter on the end of the loom where the plug is, and the voltage changed when I moved the switch on the dash. So I presumed that the car end is fine and so the elements must be shot.  :dontknow: So where is the relay? Is it in the fuse box? And how do you check it?

Cheers, Bob.

Back to the top
I forgot to add that i've also lost one of the plastic plugs off the seat section of heated seat loom. I lost it when I recovered my seats  :banghead:

Back to the top
The relay in inside a bit of sponge in the car fram under the seat.  number 8 on the image

Back to the top
I miss my heated seats sooooo much.  :O(

That is all.

Life in the French Alps: <a href="Le Franco Phoney: All things French in La Clusaz, Annecy and Haute Savoie">www.lefrancophoney.com</a>

Back to the top
Is it poss to fit heated seat set up from a mk3,coz surly they just need 12 volt power to the seat loom????or am i just looking up the wrong tree,i want so bad heated seats........ :redfaced:

Back to the top
just got my new heated seat relay (from canada) £16 delivered .. these are £37 +Vat from vw dealer.

It lives under the carpet within the frame in a bit of sponge under the seat as in the diagram above..  This is the cause of my passenger seat not working.  my passenger side used to leak badly from the cabby handles and through the bulk head

found this link about heated seats which I think is useful, but I havent checked the wire colours match.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154510

new……  and old

Back to the top
they are same as mk3, :dontknow:

Back to the top
read the link they all the same then :redfaced:

Back to the top
i think this is whats wrong with mine as my seats dont heat

Jay

1990 - MK1 GOLF CADDY PICKUP  | 1980 - MINI GT 1275  | 2005 - RENAULT TRAFIC CAMPER

Back to the top

jayjay31 said

i think this is whats wrong with mine as my seats dont heat

i have a rivage and in preston if you want to come over and try and figure out whats wrong with yours.. if they both dont work i would expect its the elements..

cheers tony
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.