Skip navigation

tin top rolling project

Back to the top

tin top rolling project

WELL… the volksfest weekend was a minter :P iv been informed by a friend iv never met on facebook that theres loads of vw shows all the time so im gonna be goin as much as i can, to EVERYTHING :P

problem was, when i was there all the cars looked stunning and mine looked a little tired to say the least :P
so took this week off work to work on thew body :D

i have had part of my back panel cut out and part filled but due to work iv not been able to finish it till this week so yeah. heres the rust panel taken on the volksfest:

(thanks to gammy)

and after a bit of sanding and a little filler:

sorry about the bad lighting :P it was taken on the phone :)

then we tackled two small dents in the quarter panel, it was tiny but took ages :P

so now thats done im a little happier :)

knocked back the filler on the back panel but were about half way through it, worth the pic tho :P

tomorrow i should be knocking that 1k primer back and leveling it 100% then a sealer coat and get the whole panel in primer :)

FINALLY starting body work :) it feels GOOOOD!!

oh and the little plastic spats are gone :) surprisingly there was not a speck of rust under them :D bargain :P

i got a funny feeling this post will become very active over the next few days :)

ill keep ya all posted!

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
DAY TWO:

so we carried on today and the rear quarter is in primer and im actually loving the colour.

so popped the window out and keyed up all the area needed

then masked it all up and got out the barcoat :) what a life saver when spraying :P

and on with the green TI high build primer :P
(again, another life saver)

got out the 800 grit wet an dry, smoothed it off and washed it and now its looking all shiny for primer :P

and now wid the window in this is how im driving it lol

WOO its good for a base coat of primer, were going to do one panel at a time until we go round the car, then take a week out, strip it and go over again to finish it all off in one go :)

see what happens when you go to a vw show… i think itll be in primer for when the agm comes around as iv only got till thursday then i can only do it two days a week again :( oh and the odd saturday.

i think were doing ok considering the whole respray is costing around about £60.00!

more tomorrow i think :) im gonna be tackling the drivers door and my cousins doing the left side of the back panel.

were on a roll!!!

Back to the top
nice work  :mrgreen:

you gonna paint it in the original gambia red colour…….

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
na its going a pastel colour, i was thinking something like a light blue but its too common, i actually REALLY like the yellow the primers in so i might just flatten that down and lacquer it :P

itll never be a show and shine car but one day ill be kitting it out more track style and one day when i eventually get a pay rise ill be getting another one and restoring that one :P

Back to the top
DAY THREE:

woo stayed a little later today and would of got most of it in primer if i didnt run outa thinners and hardener :P
i knew we didnt have alot and i was planning on buying more tomorrow anyway :)

right ill let the piccys speak for themselves

got the other rust cut out and panels made

made a start on the drivers door

getting the pigeon poop gone

got it all filled

door ready

coating the door in barcoat… who knows what this car was sprayed over with before but im not chancing it :P

and green TI primer (had a few runs… may be DeVilbiss guns but dirty nossles :P

back panel all primered up

and onto the GIANT dent in the front wing… (ill change it one day,honest :P)

pass side rear quarter ready for paint tomorrow :) all dents gone an smooth

and with the front wing in barcoat this is how i drove it home tonight :)

and other side

ahh feels good do be actually doing it :P
were looking into two colours now…who knows what colour its gonna be… all we know is were not good enough at prep to have anything other than flat satin haha..

more tomorrow peeps :)

Back to the top
looking good mate looking good

mk4 golf gti with bora front end and lots more ,

mk1 gti project

Back to the top
thanks dude :)

DAY FOUR:

right… this was the final day this week… back to two days a week after this including work but i think were pushing to get it done now so shouldn't be too long :)

got my thinners and hardener and even i sprayed :P which was nice :)

heres the snaps

started working on the other wing. thought it was in good condition

then this fell out…

so my cousin got it off beated it out and filled what was left
sorry not alot of photos of this as i was in a hurry to get my rear quarter all barcoated and primed :)

once done i stripped the pass door and rubbed it down, barcoated it and barcoated the whole front end ready for my cousin to spray it all with the legendary green ti primer

another photo of the front while in barcoat

and the front while the primer was drying (the streaks will flatten out)

and how it looked once dry and in the sunshine :) all dusty :P

and after a good wash i took it home and parked it up.
thought i would take a photo as it kinda blends in with the house :P

sooooo WOO almost everything in primer :)

gotta do the door shuts, boot and roof. then all in primer but the engine bay.
i have a 1.8 engine i will be picking up soon so when that comes and the 1.1 gets pulled out i will be smoothing, sanding and spraying the bay… will be a while yet tho :P

grrr… gotta do all the inside yet too :P i think ill and paint the 2k paint inside and spend hours rubbing it down…

still gotta pick the colours….

more next week :)

Back to the top
oh and the pass door gotta be done again :)

NEVER SPRAY ANYTHING IN HALFORDS SPRAY CANS IF ITS GONNA BE REDONE!!!!!!!!!

that crap will react no matter what you do… i gotta strip the whole door AGAIN what a load of crap :(

even the plasticoat stuff from B n Q was ok on the bonnet but NEVER using halfords spray again :(

Back to the top
looks awesome mate, shame i didn't see it in the original state

let me know if you want some chrome mirrors, i don't think they fit mine, the screws are too close. bugger!

low, and slow.

Back to the top
looks awesome mate, shame i didn't see it in the original state

let me know if you want some chrome mirrors, i don't think they fit mine, the screws are too close. bugger!

low, and slow.

Back to the top
yeah man ill have em :D im gonna be going for the chrome look :)

just gotta get the chrome strips too :)

Back to the top
I that where you work mate? I work just up the feeder by partco.

Back to the top
lol i work in a company called PDQ.. were a courier company :) were next door to motion sk8 prk im only there on Wednesdays and most Fridays my cousin co runs the business and i help out when theres stuff to do and the rest of the time i use all the tools him and the boss has collected over the years lol your welcome to come down one day when im there :)

Back to the top
Well done mate.  Looking good.  It's going to look amazing when finished - You'll be putting all of us to shame next year at Volksfest!

Back to the top
haha i wish bud:P its looking ok for a home prepped and sprayed and all for less than 100 bucks :P

Back to the top
just a quick post.

i hurt my back the monday after working on the car so iv taken a week or so off and im just driving it :)

i did take off all the tins in the engine bay and sprayed them, along with a few other bits to neaten it up in there.
ill get some pics later, just popping up asda to buy a new xd card as turns out my card was nicked and the 2gb one i bought isnt supported by the cam… GAY!

anyway..

but the main reason for this post was to get peoples opinions on colour choice
i photoshopped this to see what the colours i was going for would look like and i REALLY like it. what do ya all think:

it was from this photo that i made it from, and as you can see its slightly lowered too :P im new at doin stuff like that on Photoshop but i thought it turned out well :P

so…. what ya all think about the new colour scheme???

Back to the top
I like it - Different!

Nice set of white alloys would set it off - White and chrome BBS splits maybe…  8)

Back to the top
looks good mate

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

I like it - Different!

Nice set of white alloys would set it off - White and chrome BBS splits maybe…  8)

sounds good to mee :) well, cream to match the top half… hmmmm

ill get on the Photoshop again later when the hang over wears off :P

Back to the top
Well done on progress so far. I am doing something similar and will be attempting the two colour paint job.

Current MK1 rebuild elapsed time - 15 years and counting…
Is it normal to clean and paint bits of your car that will never be seen?
Not-so-new addition - 1996 MK1 Citi Golf (off the road for 4 years… and counting)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.