Skip navigation

tin top rolling project

Back to the top

tin top rolling project

so im kind of doing up my little golf this year on a REALLY tight budget…
lucky for me i have all the tools i need, most of the now how and a few people around me who know what i dont so im kinda sorted. along with this forum i think im getting it pretty bang on (thanks guys :) )

any way, some history…

it its a maroon C 1.1 which i got off a old lady for a tonne :)
it hadn't run for over 5 years but only had 40700 on the clock…
the day i picked it up all the tires were flat and all the steels were rusted but we tried pumping them up any way and BOOM! they blew out… got it on the ramp eventually though.
before i even started it needed a new battery and new rubber fuel lines.
then it finally fired, yey!

off it went to a mates garage to get an mot. what i thought was gonna be a few minor things as i drove it there turned out to be a F**kin nightmare… they said it needed extensive welding and the engine was shot and blowing black smoke…
i dont take bad news good so i took it home and within two days i had the welding done :)

sorted out the little things like cv boots and bulbs and got onto the engine…

i changed: dizzy cap and arm, points, condenser, ht leads and a set of plugs.
it ran fine for a day or two and then started spluttering again, in the mean time i got the mot ;) glad i know a few garages :P

the spluttering turned out to be a leaking gasket on the carb. thanks to crazy quiffs i had that sorted in a day or two.

so, now to the present… (sorry if this is taking so long :P i love to chat hehe. )
iv picked out my colour and im starting on the body work, iv since lowered it and taken the bumpers off, mainly cos i love the look of a bumper less golf and cos they were shot any way lol

its going a nice baby blue with the engine bay and front panel going black, all the bay is going black and the engine will be colour coded.

me ma is very good with fabric so shes getting bunged some and a couple of bottles of red to re do the seats, no head rest style too :P

if anyone comes across a really cheap roof rack ill snap your hands off for it :D im a surfer an i want somewhere to put my boards in the summer… oh and im gonna get a custom board done when im finished with the golf so it matches…

just as a quick finisher, im putting CBR600 carbs on the standard engine as i love the sound. as im doing it ill add a kinda walk through cos its REALLY hard to find info on sorting the intake and jetting out on them. any way, better add some pics :)

the day i bought it! :)

so far!

ill add more when Facebook works :P

any way, ill post more as soon as i have funds to carry on. (shouldn't be long)

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
i think you've set yourself as private on facebook mate, sign yourself up to a site like Flickr, Photobucket, or imageshack and upload from there

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
haha na i was tired and copied the wrong links :P photos are up now :)

Back to the top
just a quick update…
(sorry no pics )

my internets been down and iv been skint so nothing much but i am picking up a set of alloys on the weekend which im going to start cleaning up and get the right colours :)

its hard to make big steps forward when its your daily…

im looking at one of Phataz1's bike carb manafolds for the CBR600 carbs, cheep and good fun for a weekend setup :)

done a little more body work too, the arch was dented and rusted so i banged that out and got it smooth and the passenger door was crud but isnt no more ;)

when i pick up the wheels ill get them going and post some pics up. there the scala snowflakes on the buy it section :)

so yeah…
done till another day :)

cheerrrsss

Back to the top
Nice looking project motor mate.

keep posting the updates.

Good luck with it.

Back to the top

wheel update :)

ok so i bought some snowflakes off here and got them back and thought, time to get out the sand paper but after about 10 mins thought… sod that and went to b&q to buy one of there rotary tools… THERE MINT!

here was the alloy in question:

couple of hours later i had all the lacquer off one of the alloys and was almost ready for prime so on it went:

tonight i got the first couple of black on it and there looking ok…
they need another coat then a rub down but im letting this coat go off and then keying it up again as its a little uneven.

here is the alloy as it stands with another one from the collection:

and a close up:

so, what do ya all think???

only three more to go :(

Back to the top
i'm liking the look of those alloys  :)
think i might have to look out for some, look great in black.

Back to the top
they do :) i was thinking about doing the inset bits the same colours the car but… i might leave them black now :P

thing is, a bad set of these arent hard too find and a bit of elbow grease and ALOT of hi build primer and therwe you go :P

Back to the top

hogg said

i'm liking the look of those alloys  :)
think i might have to look out for some, look great in black.

i have a set i may be tempted into selling….

and mixerman, looks like a good little project you have there, nice low miles too!!  :D
front looks to have polished up pretty good too..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
what sort of ££££££££ we talking rich  :lol:
sorry for hijacking

Back to the top
the cams not showing the full extent of damage…
it was dusted over by some cheap bloke and as a result all the paints lifting around every edge…

i really wanna get it re sprayed but being 21 and skint every second of the day im kinda doin what i can and saving for final prep and paint one day…

thos wheels are a damn sight better than mine an i payed 60 for em lol.

theres summat about snowflakes that makes me smile. something different i suppose.

my next thing is finding the rigt tyres to go on them…
i know there only a 6" rim but i might still have a mini strech on them… what ya all think?

cheeers

Back to the top

mixerman said

the cams not showing the full extent of damage…
my next thing is finding the rigt tyres to go on them…
i know there only a 6" rim but i might still have a mini strech on them… what ya all think?

cheeers

it is very difficult to find narrow lo-pro tyres for 14" wheels unfortunately  :cry: i tried for a while but ended up getting some 15's instead..
you can get uniroyal rainsports in 195/45/14 which look pretty good though..

and i did a lot of work on those wheels to get them that good.. they weren't that pretty when i got them, but not as bad as yours though.. still a sweet wheel for a mk1..  :wink:

they will look cool on yours in black i reckon..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
they do look sweet :)
they fit the arches nice.

well i found a few companies that do a 165 55 14. one baing on ebay for about 39 quid inc p+p which isnt bad..
probs gonna be sliding everywhere tho but hey i love understeer and lift-off oversteer :P NOT….

thos tyres look really nice, i think i might just go for them, probs a little more common too so might be able to get them cheaper from a mate :P

mine were too far gone to fully restore at this stage. i probibly could get them looking like new if i spent ALOT of time going back a couple of mm all over but i gotta get them on the car as the steelies are poo poo and the tyres are not looking good…

Back to the top
not much to update on mine on. i did spray the passenger door the same colour as what was on the sticker in the boot and it came up totally different :P

time for a new job to pay for the respray now…

just thought i would put a little update on here for the few watching :P

oh and im looking at getting a scirocco for the 1.8 8v engine out of it… i think i can get it for next to nothing as its on top of a container next to my work and its been there for about 4 years :P

im gonna get a few quid behind me and try an buy the whole car.

does anyone know what the seats are like in the mk1 scirocco and if someone has fitted them before… might be a little better than mine :)

ill get some pics of it next Wednesday if i get chance :)

cheeers for now!

Back to the top
gotta tell someone. i just bought my bike carbs :) manifolds cut and ready for the lining up of the tubes :)

cant wait!

so yeah hehe. come pics and vids comin soon me thinks :P

im well exited lol.

Back to the top
just had to put this somewhere till i get home as i jotted all this down in work and i better delete it before the boss comes in :P easier than emailing it to myself and forgetting aobut it :)

Body

Front panel = £90.00
Back panel = £90.00
minor prep = £50.00
Prep and paint = £500.00 (budgeted lol)

Engine

1.8 8v from scirocco = £200.00 (for whole car)
Lightened flywheel = £100 (guess)
cam = £150.00
gasket set = £60.00
service = £50.00
throttle bodies = £250.00
megasquirt = £200.00 (hmmmm)

Running gear

poly bushes = £80.00
strut braces (all) = £130.00 (guess)
bias pedal box = £160.00
Coilovers = £200.00
uprated brakes (front bigger, rear pads for now) = £120.00
wheels!!! (budget yourself jamie…) = £ 500.00 (or banded steels :P)
camber and toe setup = £50.00

not liking the total seeing as i can give about 200 a month if i stay at home every night…
should take a while :)

Back to the top
so for thos who are watching… a quick update. :)

got my wheels in rubber today, FINALLY!!! im not sure about them so they might be up for swaps soon :P what do ya all think?

cheeers!

next was the front end. iv managed to get all the rust gone in the front panel and get rid of the peal off the bonnet. now currently looks like this:

(has a new badge now too)

an last but not least!!!!

VR6 front leather seats in, heated seat loom coming next week and im gonna try an get the back seats in tomorrow :)

the cars changing colour now… its going Prussian blue as i found 3 ltrs of 2k paint in the back of my work :P should look ok.. we will see :P

sooooo… what do ya all think :)

Back to the top
im gonna start this by saying…it was hard work!

if you have been offered mk3 leather back seats and think hmm they will look ok… THINK AGAIN!!! haha!

basically i got them in tho :) i butchered the sub frames of the original seats and stuck the new mk3 seats on them, cutting some unwanted metal out in the mean time :P

heres the pics of it done :)

finally sorted tho :) just gotta get the outside done now… then try an sort the door cars :)

Back to the top

A few pics for u jay

Back to the top
ahh bless you ed... Haha. Thanks for givin me a hand. Well worth the hassel now iv had a break an had a look after lol. Might be out later. Dunno yet tho :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.