Skip navigation

Halfords Professional Tools 'Lifetime Guarantee' HELP!!

Back to the top

Halfords Professional Tools 'Lifetime Guarantee' HELP!!

I bought a halfords professional 150 piece socket set a few years back.
It's been great, I broke a socket once and just popped down to the store and they exchanged it no bother (even without the reciept)

Here's my problem………….
The 3/8" ratchet has now gone faulty. I took it down to the store to take advantage of the 'lifetime guarantee' and thought they would just give me another one as they did in the past.
I was right in thinking that this is their procedure EXCEPT they now ask you to produce the reciept!!!
I bought the set about 7 years ago, who would still have a reciept!! Even if I did still have it I reckon it would only be a blank piece of paper now as the till reciepts these days are heat printed and fade.

I would love to be able to get one over on the store manager by producing a reciept for a halfords pro socket set, so here's my question………………… has anyone got a reciept for such an item that they would be willing to scan and e-mail to me???
It doesn't have to be for the 150 piece set, any halfords set with a 3/8" ratchet in it would do!

I would be most greatful if anyone would be willing to do this for me.
If not take this as a word of advice to look after your reciept and take a copy of it as the originals fade to nothing over time!

So be warned, the halfords lifetime guarantee is not a lifetime guarantee for the tools as you would expect, it's only a lifetime guarantee for the little piece of paper given to you at the till!!!

Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Drive em\' like you stole em\'!

1991 1.8 Mk1 Clipper Cabriolet

2002 2.8 Mk4 V6 4motion

2009 1.4 Mk6 GT TSI

Back to the top
give trading standers a ring and see what they say about it,did you pay cash or on a card?coz it not like the tools dont have halfrauds on them,so not as if you could get them from anywhere else,when mrs jaycab gets in i will ask here if we have a recipt for ya m8. :dontknow:

Back to the top
Hi Jaycab,
Every piece of the set has Halfords stamped on it, so your right, there's no denying it's one of their's! The reason they now insist on a reciept is to prove you haven't stolen it! Trading standards say the store is within their rights to ask for proof of purchase. This doesn't have to be the till reciept, a credit card statement or such like would do. Still no use to me as I paid cash all that time ago, so i'm screwed!!!
A new ratchet isn't expensive to buy but it's the principle of the matter of halfords' worthless 'lifetime guarantee'!
Hope Mrs Jaycab has some luck finding a reciept when she gets in!
Very kind of you if you don't mind.
Thanks
Dan

2002 2.8 Mk4 V6 4motion

2009 1.4 Mk6 GT TSI

Back to the top
i've had this prob with halford before!!! really rubbish service

since i had this trouble about 2 years ago i started buying silverline, now there service is great!!! if it broke they swap like for like no questions asked

i just go in and make abit of a scene this normal helps things a little,

you could alway take the whole set in a say  look heres the rest of it now give me a new peice

how can any company expect you to keep a reciept for a lifetime :banghead:

Banner

Back to the top
You could try another store to see if you can get away with it.

I always keep the receipt. It says on the back to keep it. Put them in a file - it's not difficult

Banner

Back to the top
I always keep the receipt. It says on the back to keep it. Put them in a file - it's not difficult

:roll: Can you e-mail me a scan then!!  :lol:

2002 2.8 Mk4 V6 4motion

2009 1.4 Mk6 GT TSI

Back to the top

dannyb1983 said

:roll: Can you e-mail me a scan then!!  :lol:
lol :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
she just got in and says she look 2moz,as she just wants to chill,i wont let her forget cos i might need it.if she cant find the till receipt the c card we will have,so where are you dan?

Back to the top
cheers dude,
I'm from Clacton-on-Sea in Essex m8. U?

2002 2.8 Mk4 V6 4motion

2009 1.4 Mk6 GT TSI

Back to the top
how about buying a new set,take it back after you have gone in the shop and had your bit replaced with that recipt?? :dontknow:

Back to the top
knowing my luck they probably wouldn't refund me for the other set!! :banghead:

2002 2.8 Mk4 V6 4motion

2009 1.4 Mk6 GT TSI

Back to the top
give trading standards a call,   i'm sure that if the item is covered by a guarantee but you have no receipt  then you are entitled to an exchange ,  receipt only  needed for cash refund …..proof of purchase is the fact that you have the item…….unless they are suggesting that you stole it ????
 i'd find out your rights then  if you are in your rights   take the whole set back to exchange as it's part of a set…

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
right then dan,i have had the house upside down trying to find the reciept for my set and cant find it, or the c card statment,(wish i lived with dubboy :lol: )so i phoned my local store,and was told that yes we will replace it without the reciept,as long as it says halfords on it and it is not the moving part that is damaged,i asked for the lads name i was talking to and he told me he is leaving the store today,so alarm bells started to ring in my head about him just getting me of the phone, dont care attituide so i phoned another store in derby and was told that  we will not do nothing without the proof of purchase,so i asked for there customer service number 08450 579000 and option 3,spoke to a help full gall called jackie who said"we will honour the life time warranty without proof of purchase coz we want the costomer to be happy,
so if i was you mate go to your store and get them to phone customer service while you there and walk away with new racthet.
 :D  :D  :D  :D
hope this helps

Back to the top
And to add to this; go into Halfords with a stack of receipts for your cars, and tell them you'd like a trade card.

£160 set - £96. £100 battery? £63. £2.79 inline fuel filter? 87p…

Love my trade card ;)

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
1993 Jeep Cherokee. 1985 Scimitar SS1
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top
would of thought all transactions are computerized ie they have your details and what youve bought from them a bit like machine mart.

Back to the top
8O WOW! you've been busy jaycab!!! Thank you very very much for all your efforts.
I think the mk1 golf owners club website should give you some sort of award for being the most helpful member of the forum!!
I'll take myself back down to the store when I get a chance and give em some stick!! Thing i'll call customer service b4 I go and see if I can get something e-mailed in writing to back me up!

Thanks again to every one who has posted and an extra big thank you to Jaycab.

I'll let you all know how I get on!

2002 2.8 Mk4 V6 4motion

2009 1.4 Mk6 GT TSI

Back to the top
no worries m8,it put my mind at rest,coz i got my set, coz  it was reduced and lifetime guarantee,nowt was said about proof of purchase,so i got a bargin.so all good and i dont think it just me that helps, it all of us on here,so enjoy the site

Back to the top
Hi mate

I bought the 120 piece set a few weeks ago which has the 3/8 ratchet. I still have the reciept so if you have any more problems give me a shout. I dont have a scanner, but if you promise to return it i'll post it to you.

They might think it's a bit wierd that it packed up after about 3 weeks, but it's up to them to prove i guess !.

Paul

Back to the top
Paul, where abouts in essex r u? anywhere near me?

2002 2.8 Mk4 V6 4motion

2009 1.4 Mk6 GT TSI

Back to the top
I'm in Upminster, so not that close really.

Back to the top
Can anybody send copy of receipt to my email aswell please. as i have same problem. Bought my 150 piece set about 4 years ago. First time few sockets were replaced.  and second time they asked receipt.
My email vaidux@btinternet.com
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.