Skip navigation

bumpers or no bumpers?!?

Back to the top

bumpers or no bumpers?!?

hi guys. just a quick question, and i know what some of the purists are going to say… ;)

but my cars exterior is in pritty bad shape at the mo (rust spots on it and overall needs a respray.
now i dont have the time or the money to do that yet however, i do like the rat look and i am in the middle of sorting the bay out proper but i was thinking, over the weekend im dropping it 60mm and i thought about removing the bumpers for a slight rat look.

i got a set of lights for the indicators that will fill the front bumper holes but i was wondering on all your opinions first??

also, any legal obligations (they gotta be on, or maybe only after a certain year type thingy :P) ???

any way thanks in advance for all your replies :)

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
no law about bumpers. just no sharp bits.
be aware that if you have a bump the car will be damaged more.

a lot of people doing it. i did it while my car was being made ready for painting.
i prefer the bumpers on though i do have to admit that.

Back to the top
yeah i would like the chrome ones but as im still new to vws im not really sure what im looking for :P nor do i have the funds to hunt proper, mainly i wanna keep the thing going, neaten it up a bit and giv it an edge.
At least until i can afford to do the body work properly, ie buy the whole panels needed, put them on and get it off to a body shop. :P
im glad theres no law lol someone in the pub mentioned it to me. it was a pissed up grey bloke tho, thought i would double check :)

cheers

Back to the top
check out dope_as golf. he is running no rear bumper and real low and 2 tone. looks awesome.

Back to the top
done it before...i wouldnt say im a annorak but personaly i think it looks abit crap now...was cool 4 years ago

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top
haha cool. i do like the bumperless shape. i may try it, get a couple of photos up an see what you all think... i think i may be a little behind the times then lol...

Back to the top
i've done mine coz the back bumper got ripped off by a nasty person in a van…

i like it tbf

Jon.

Back to the top
yeah see. i think that looks fucking sick lol. yup, gonna try it for a few weeks, see if i like it :)

Back to the top
I've done it too, i was thinking about it for a while but similar to jon I put a small dent in my front bumper in the ice. Took it off to repair it and well they've just never gone back on :)

Same colour as yours too  :wink:

Back to the top
niice, its nice too see it in same colour so i can have more of an idea. how much you dropped that? mines goin 60mm on the weekend i think… unless thesteels i got on there at the mo are too big :P i am lookin for alloys but just had to pay a shit load of xmas bills iv been putting off all month… maybe next month :P

oh and what colour is that? do you know the number? cos i got at least three panels to re do… but havnt had the time to really look for the colour. :)

Back to the top
its about 100mm on coilovers  :D steelies will be alrite, the arches will drop over the tyre on a steelie becasue they are quite narrow.

I know what you mean I'm starting to look at getting body work done on mine but it'll be a couple of months because I'm skint at the moment :( as for colour I'm not actually sure to be honest i've not had a look myself yet. In my mk2 there was a sticker on the boot floor with paint codes and things on. I assume the mk1 will be the same, I'll have a look tomorrow in the day light.

I'm thinking of getting the guy I know to spray straight down both sides of the car so that its all the same shame again and possibly getting the bumpers holes smoothed over :)

Back to the top
im not gonna do anything i can't everse in a few years… Not for my benefit but for the next owner (if there is on )
yeah. Mine needs front and rear panel and one door. Then a blow over.
not the worse thing as i can kinda sprey :p but paint and time i don't have.

i got a set of new polo steelies on there at the mo. The old ones were fucked… There 14s and i think there a little wider but if ur down 100 then 60 should be fine :)

Back to the top
Thats understandable, I have no plans to sell the golf on although I guess things always change so who knows! The only downside is tho ive got to pay someone to do the work. Havn't got the equipment or the room to give it a go myself :( Mines on 13's but i'm pritty sure you'll be fine with dropping it 60 mm :) you'll have to get soem photos up when you've done it!

Back to the top
yeah they should be up sunday night :) I can't wait to get started :p
with other commitments in the mornings and needing this thing for a daily drive it will need bo be lowered on sat an de bumpered an stuff for the sunday so yeah. Shame tho cos I feel I'm rushing a bit…

yeah it's nice having the tools. My boss is a little over the top… He's got a rover sd1 an so far it's been for an acid bath and had almost every pannel changed. He's bought a sprey booth and sand blasting bay… Also a soda bay and mig, tig, arc and spot welder all to do the rover… An I can use any of it lol still costs the money for the spray and stuff which I don't have lol…

Back to the top
wow your quite lucky to have access to all tht equipment then! But yeah I know what you mean, materials can still be an expensive part and then of course you've got to try and find time to do it yourself!

Back to the top
yeah ant have the ability to do the work... i dont think ill spray the car but the body work ill do. and maybe most of the prep work but il hand it to someone who knows what there doin for final work :P i cant wait to get this lowered now hehe, should look mint... bit of a ratter at the mo tho but im cool with that :) just need a roof rack for my boards lol

Back to the top
i thought i was gonna drop it over the weekend, had a hour spare today so… DONE :)
now tomorrow afternoon ill be ripping the bumpers off :) yey

Back to the top
Nice one, really doesnt take too long to change suspension once you get cracking does it! bumpers are easy as well 2 bolts in each bracket that are easily accessable from inside the bonnet / boot and thats it!

Back to the top
yeah i know, iv had them off to do a bit of welding for the last mot.
got two corners of the little thing in primer as i didnt know what colour it was and the front ones been loose ever since… :P
its just making the brackets up for the new indicators as they fit snug inside the holes :D

Back to the top
ay man :)
i think its cool to go a bit lower and rat it a bit but just make sure that the you will eventually fix the rust spots but yea dude go for it :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.