Skip navigation

anyone turned car on its side using mattress?

Back to the top

anyone turned car on its side using mattress?

i used to do it but a matress caught fire when i was welding the floor of a mk RS2000 and even though i had a fire extinguisher the fire took off due to the matress being dry :redfaced:, could of been a disaster but luckily i got away wi it  , i feel you get dings/dents with tyres and i would only use a spit nowadays.cheers

Back to the top

studs said

with the above methods I see they are bare shells, very little weight.

ramblin if you havn't stripped the car completely, cjautos (on ebay etc.. ) make a car roller

frame, bolts to the wheel hubs, costs afew hundred quid though :(  :(
I found one of these it's called a AUTOVIP 1400 car roller it's good for 1400kg
(golfs weigh about 830kg ) so it can turn car complete, & it doesn't lift the car just
 rolls it, so if there is enough space to turn the car this is the tool  :D
just remember to drain liquids & remove battery.
it is on ebay item number 30038649519 ends 19 JAN at 13:03 sorry don't know how
to link.  :? will learn one day.

Back to the top
what they are using to bolt to the wood is the suspension mounts. don't forget n.a golfs have dampers behind the bumpers!!!

hence it looking like box section with a tube.

Jon.

Back to the top
the cost of a spit is very little really

if you can weld then material will be about £100

if not a welder won't chage much for welding it together

mcsrew did a good roll over thing

i'm currently sorting the info out for mine so other's can build it but snow is delaying things

my car when it's on the side is aroung 100mm off the ground

Banner

Back to the top
the wooden one looks cracking. I can't weld so i think the wooden one may gee made. i would need to get some heavy steel brackets made though for attaching to the wood

Back to the top
is the car a bare shell as a wooden one wouldn't be the best idea if you've still got your engine in and all the interior

Banner

Back to the top
bare shell. Just realised the wooden one will rip right through garage roof as the large support going vertical would be too high. This is annoying!!

Back to the top
does your car need any welding??

if so get a welder and make a spit then weld your car up :)

Banner

Back to the top
no doubt it will need some bits done but i have only welded once using oxy/acy on training course when i was yts

Back to the top
i have used tyres in the past with no problems. just need a couple of people to roll it onto tyres if you stack them right then it will balance without putting all the weight onto the gutters

Back to the top
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/AllVWallthetime/09rotiserierear.jpg
this wooden jig will fit in garage i reckon a sit doesn't have the large support  like the other wooden jigs.
if making support brackets for the bumpr what guage steel would you use
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.