Skip navigation

anyone turned car on its side using mattress?

Back to the top

anyone turned car on its side using mattress?

i am thinking of getting mines on its side to remove the underseal as laying on my back is seriously sending me mad

Back to the top
i have seen this done but i personally wouldn't want to do it myself

the choice is yours :)

Banner

Back to the top
Get yourself a car rotisserie/spit bud, much easier and safer than using a mattress, i've seen it done too, but it is a little iffy… :?

They're cheap enough to buy, or simple enough to make, the chap above made a cracker of one :wink:

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
I've used mattresses and old tyres (off the rims) to roll Mini shells up on their sides with no problems. A spit is better really but if your budget is tight and you have a spare mattress it's fine.

You'll need a helping hand to roll it and drop it down safely, and be careful if you do any welding as mattresses burn well!

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
ideally i will get a jig made but also the mattress thing would be good as well.

Back to the top

Back to the top
guy on ed38 posted the sizes for that design but i cannot see what they are using for going into the chassis rails. looks a good idea

Back to the top
Very inventive, like it.

Dib.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
yip cracking idead but i need to know what is placed in chassis rails to hold car. It would need to be striong as that kind of weigh pulling down on ply could just rip it apart.  think it would all need bolted up and not nailed togethe rLOL

Back to the top
Not sure how its done?, would have to be quite tight in to the holes where the bumper
attaches, otherwise it would "wobble" around. Looks like a square block inserted and
bolted on the inside of the boot, and tubing sticking out of it?, its bolted to the wood
bar at the back with bolts by the looks of it, but im  only guessing, as to the construction.

Dib.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
go oin edition 38 and into the mk1 section and you will se emy post. you will also see the dimesnions for the above jig

Back to the top
a while ago i saw someone on ebay was making them out of metal and only charging about £120 odd, will have a look, see if i can find it agian!

Back to the top

Back to the top

brennon said

the length of section B  of metal is surely wrong? 1500 it can't be considering section A is the same?

Back to the top
with the above methods I see they are bare shells, very little weight.

ramblin if you havn't stripped the car completely, cjautos (on ebay etc.. ) make a car roller

frame, bolts to the wheel hubs, costs afew hundred quid though :(  :(

Back to the top
with the above methods I see they are bare shells, very little weight.

ramblin if you havn't stripped the car completely, cjautos (on ebay etc.. ) make a car roller

frame, bolts to the wheel hubs, costs afew hundred quid though :(  :(

Back to the top
it's roof spac ein garage is my problem as the bars that support the prefab gargae are approx 6ft from ground max and garage slope from front to back

Back to the top

ramblin said

it's roof spac ein garage is my problem as the bars that support the prefab gargae are approx 6ft from ground max and garage slope from front to back
oh, if it's single garage, looks like you will need a rotisserie, so you can turn the car in it's own space.
someone on here was giving a way a home made one couple of months back,
if I remember who I will post back.

Back to the top
it's bigger than a single and smaller than a double. It's when it goes on side problems may start. If making a rotisserie what is the lowest height this can be from the ground if wanting car on its side?

Back to the top
Ramblin' - the U.S. bumper brackets are made from much heavier steel than the european ones. In fact an american bumper wheighs between 30 - 40 pounds. Thats why the euro bumper is so coveted over here - weight recuction. The steel in the US brackets is probably  3/16 or 1/4 inch thick

It's got a cop motor
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.