Skip navigation

82 GTI LHASA GREEN TIN TOP, to be something mad!!

Back to the top

82 GTI LHASA GREEN TIN TOP, to be something mad!!

pic of my referbe'd zender turbos, in anthracite.

should hopefully get my referbished beige leather interior back this week also

Back to the top
Hmmm, wheels looks like new simon :lol:

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
small update, starter is buggered, and i damaged a injector sleeve, so that now needs replacing. have got the number plates on, but the biggest step is that i have finally got my v5, unbeliveably, the last owner had owned it since 1991!!!  i also found, still in there wrapper with the vag tag attached, 5 injector rubber seals, i don't even recall buying them :dontknow:  :dontknow:  what a touch. wonder what else is floating around in my garage…

pics with number plates..

Back to the top
so finaly got the tyres on the zenders, and i must say i'm soooo glad i decided not to sell them,  they look stunning..

as some of you may of noticed, i have had the im-bossed zender logo removed from the centre cap, (opinions on this please)
i think it gives the wheel an almost elegant look, especially with the stretchy tyres, 165 45 on the front with 165 50"s on the rear.
i had them diamond cut as i want a real 80's look about the car.

looking good from all angles…really pleased with the overall look now, may even go a tad lower!!
what do you think guys???

Back to the top
Wheels make the car look so much better.  If you ever want to sell them ;) .  Whats next to be done?

Alex

Back to the top
i'll add you to the very long list of people that want these rims :lol:  :lol:
next is starter and new injector sleeve, rear brakes need a look at, and then mot. i have a beige leather interior to go in, which is being referb'ed at the mo, then once mot'd, respray

Back to the top
Looking sweet!

I like the center caps to 8)

Keep up the good work.

Back to the top
got shot of the old door cards that had foooking great big speaker holes in,

and replaced them with some nice ones without the holes,

Back to the top
genuine new front panel…

and vag bonnet…

a snip at £230 for the pair….

Back to the top
looks a solid shell for a bargain price and them zenders are awesome 8) keep up the good work

Back to the top
ok, so a trip to gpc today and came away with these, probably one of the last gen wings you will find off the shelf…

the guys at gpc were very helpful, and found me one of these…

a new injector sleeve, and he gave it to me for free 8)
and the final thing was this…

a new reverse switch, it was from a mk2, but with help from the archives i rewired the plug to make it work..

i now have reverse lights, which was the last electrical thing i needed to get working, so a very productive day!!

Back to the top
Sorted!

Whats next?

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Sorted!

Whats next?

starter motor packed up, so i'm waiting for one i bought to turn up, then mot.. then paint

Back to the top

79-85 said

redpetemk1 said

Sorted!

Whats next?

starter motor packed up, so i'm waiting for one i bought to turn up, then mot.. then paint

still no go!!!

after replacing the starter motor, still nothing.
checked the new fuel pump and sounded like it was struggling to pump, so removed the sender to find a whole load of black tar like substance in the fuel tank, fortunatly i had a new fuel tank in the garage from my old project than never got off the ground, so this after noon i set about removing the old one, safe to say its a mission.
 but after removing the straps, rear beam..

fuel pump and a host of other components, out she came….

followed by the shield….

put the cleaned sender in the new tank, and attached the powder coated shield….

i have decided to overhaul the rear beam while im at this stage and give the underside some tlc

Back to the top
disconnected the hand brake cables and removed the rear beam completely, stripped it down ready for powder coat this week.
i also jet washed the underside if the tub/wheel well and bought some black waxoil, which will go on tomorrow..while at this stage i gave the inner arches the another go over..

stripped…

Back to the top
update…

One messy job but well worth doing, gunk, jet wash and waxoil to the underside of the tub, hopefully this will keep it safe for a while longer…
before..

and after waxoil…

a vast improvement.
then fitted the new tank and referbed straps, and re-attached cleaned pipes…

while trying to remove the old brake pipes, i snapped pretty much ever end. and as a real kick in the teeth the compensator was seized, one step forward 3 back.
not to worry ordering new ones from crazy q's, along with new anti roll bar straps and poly bushes. on the plus side, i got my referbed rear bench back, now i must admit i'm not too sure, so you opinions would be greatly received…

thats all for now, but hopefully by next weekend i shall have her back together and driving her to the mot station :dontknow:
oh, and we think the gooey black substance in the tank may of been sugar :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Top work Simon! Starting to come together.

When do you wanna sort this other rear bench out? I need to get rid of quite quickly  :?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top

wannabemk1owner said

Top work Simon! Starting to come together.

When do you wanna sort this other rear bench out? I need to get rid of quite quickly  :?
i was gonna ring you yesterday about it, but never got round to it. could do with it asap mate.

Back to the top
Give me a shout when you want to collect it. I am about most evenings, but it is outside my house in the porch we are building so you can grab it when you want.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Hi simon,
how is going on? :)

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.