Skip navigation

82 GTI LHASA GREEN TIN TOP, to be something mad!!

Back to the top

82 GTI LHASA GREEN TIN TOP, to be something mad!!

i'm trying to get as many little jobs done in the evenings as possible, so today i set about freshening up the stripe around the grille, and i also like to have the red around the dash display.

i masked off the surround, and sanded down the chrome edging, which gave me the perfect line..

then painted..

and the result is real good…

i also cleaned the centre console and the 3 clocks, and cleaned up the front door cards, all coming on nicely.

Back to the top
Loving your progress so far matey!

looking at how easily you've done your dash display, i'm gonna have a go at mine at some point!

Mine's chrome but the car is getting re-sprayed eventually in GTI Mars Red!

What colour did you use and what type of paint? What grade of sandpaper did you use to sand down the plastic?

Thanks,

Josh.

Oh and sweet mark 2 ;]

Back to the top

Dibdub1 said

Loving your progress so far matey!

looking at how easily you've done your dash display, i'm gonna have a go at mine at some point!

Mine's chrome but the car is getting re-sprayed eventually in GTI Mars Red!

What colour did you use and what type of paint? What grade of sandpaper did you use to sand down the plastic?

Thanks,

Josh.

Oh and sweet mark 2 ;]

hi josh,

i got the paint from halfords, as you can still buy mars red off the shelf, and after taping i cut back the tape with a fresh stanly blade and rubbed down the remanants of the tape with a 220 grit to ensure the line was perfect, then painted, just be sure to rub off all the chrome as the paint doesn't stick to this very well, i also used packaging tape as it was all i had to hand, but i think masking tape would be better an easier to use.

good luck. i love mars red mk1 golfs, would defo be my first choice..

Back to the top
finally got the wiring done today, had a few burnt wires that needed replacing and a few dodgy connecters had been grafted into the loom, all gone now, had the dash removed and will be getting a new one on monday…

shall be getting it to mine tomorrow, and then the fun starts…

cannot wait to get the freshened up interior back in. and get her fired up…..

Back to the top
i started the day trying to get her started, worked out the fuel pump wasn't working and set about replacing this, but in doing so split the pump to accumulator pipe, good start.. however i test fitted the new pump and replaced the relay and all is well, will order a new pipe this week and fit it at the week end.

so i moved on to getting the interior back in, stating with clipping up the loom and cleaning away the years of dust, once again amazed at just how solid this car is, not a spot of rust under the windshield..

then the dash..

switches and carpets…

and the gauges and seats, new golf ball gear knob..

i had also bought a good uncut parcel shelf which i attached to the rear seat and fitted…

once that was all done, and hoovered out, i moved on to the suspension, removing the rears first, i gave the inner arches a bit of a clean up..

and fitted the coil overs..

same with the fronts and whacked on the zenders…ignore the balloon tyres….

i have ordered some new streatchy tyres for these, which i'm sure will take away the chunky look of the wheel. i would really like some feed back on these rims as i was considering selling them, but now i'm npot too sure.
next week i'm gonna see about getting her fired up, and make a list of jobs that need doing for the mot..

Back to the top
ha ha, just won this…
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120562240624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1182
an unused genuine wing for £58.11p, will be storing this until i have all the parts needed for the full respray..

Back to the top
are you sure that genuine?? that sticker doesn't look right to me :dontknow:

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

are you sure that genuine?? that sticker doesn't look right to me :dontknow:

i thought the same, so emailed him to make sure it has the stamp on the inner spine near the door, he said it has,and that he got it from a main dealer. so i went for it.
i just thought its only £10 more than a pattern, so worth the gamble….fingers crossed ha.

Back to the top
yea fingers crossed

hope it is, if it is you've got a bargin

:)

Banner

Back to the top
Excelent work mate! Love seeing interiors going back in.

Cant wait till mine is even near that stage.
Makes it look so clean and tidy.

UGHHH I WANT TO DRIVE MINE NOW!!!

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
yesterday i pulled the wings of to see if there was ant tin-worm, and was once again amazed at how solid this is..

i did find however a bit of welding that doesn't look factory…

inner wing from suspension turret forward, still a good job that appears to have been done some time ago, and finally found time to have a ding out so she can go in the dry..

Back to the top
ah some good news, was touch and go wether i would get to keep this, and today i got confirmation that its mine all mine, from the police, so all my work isn't for sod all!!! now i can get right into it new fuel pipes, get it running, get it through an mot, and get it clean….

Back to the top
dont spose you need a lhasha rear bench by anychance do ya ;) ive got one and no room for it as i stripped my car out.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73039&highlight=

Back to the top

keany221 said

dont spose you need a lhasha rear bench by anychance do ya ;) ive got one and no room for it as i stripped my car out.

depends what you want for it, mine is in real good condition eccept for a fag burn in the centre, is yours mint??

Back to the top
great progress on the car, and that it is all legally yours.

as for the Zenders they look perfect. 8)

:lol: but if you don't want them I could be persuaded to take them  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
im only wanting £30 for it mate.

no rips no tears just needs a clean

only want £35 for it now. just need it out of the way

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73039&highlight=

Back to the top
and she starts!! sounds  sweet too. :lol:

Back to the top
spent 2 days(and with some great advice from other members on here) managed to sort all of the electrics out, all the lights apart from the reverse lights, front and rear wash wipe, all the dash now works including vdo gauges, nearly ready for the mot….then we'll find out what else needs doing>>>>

Back to the top
got the front end back on, just need a new starter motor and wand waiting for my new no1 fuel pipe and injectors, and were ready for the mot.

will hopefully get my zenders back some time this week.

Back to the top
pic of my referbe'd zender turbos, in anthracite.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.