Skip navigation

1981 G60 Project (Mars Red)

Back to the top

1981 G60 Project (Mars Red)

Thought i'd make a lil project thread as i'm going along as something to look back on when i've finished and probably for a lil advice on the way. So here goes…..

Picked up my little mk1 1.6 gti the other week…… She's mars red, currently a non runner and covered 111k miles. Been sat for about 18 odd years so i'm expecting 1 or 2 lil niggles along the way. only patches of rot found to far are in the spare wheel well, offside inner wing, rear valance, passenger foot well and a tiny little bit around the filler neck. Overall pretty solid :P

Has got a pretty tidy lookin original interior which i intend on keeping that way. All the little red trim around the dash etc, centre console with the 3 vdo guages and gti engineering cassette deck (very retro). Has a momo f1 concept steering wheel and original blaupunkt stereo and bose door speakers :)

Exterior wise its got a zender spoiler (not too sure wether i like it yet) chrome surround grille, original gti 14's and the nice deep duckbill splitter :)

Lots of plans for her to be a very mint good example of the original and still best hot hatch :)

So…. Pics…..

Something i'll be needing alot of over the while i'm doing it

My 2 best mates bought me the top notch mug for crimbo :)

Stocked up on a few things with a few gift cards from the dreaded halfords

Back to the top
how she looked the day i trailored her home…

Interior…

Back to the top
Engine…. (whats in there atm)

Bodywork…. (bad)

Inner arch

Spare wheel well

Rear Valance

Passenger Foot Well

Back to the top
Looks like a good project you have mate. Are you keeping it standard or are you modding it and changing the engine?

Back to the top
loks like you got some work to do

whats the plans????

:)

Banner

Back to the top
ermmmm plans i have for her so far are as follows….

Exterior wise i'm planning on a full respray as alot of the paint has cracked and faded. I've got the paperwork to re register the car as its been off the road so long so i could change the colour if i want to and simply right it on. I'm toying with the idea of either keeping her mars red or possibly changing to my favourite colour (VW Candy White) the new scirocco colour :) I think the zender spoiler will have to come off as the more i look at it the less i like it.

List of bits to buy:
-new complete window seals
-stainless steel jetex system
-stainless 4 2 1 manifold
-Piper/kent/schrick cams? (haven't done my research on this yet)
-P.I coilovers
-Complete poly bush kit
-Pressed English metal plates
-Flat wiper blades
-Full Samco hoses

All comes to around the £1500 mark :) plus the cost of the re spray. which then leaves me saving again for some wheels. I'm thinking 14x8 steffan bcw's? But not entirely sure yet.nI'll have a while to decide as i think its goint to be about a year odd untill its fully how i like it… i'm a bit of a perfectionist :)

Back to the top
Ermmmm well i haven't updated this thread in ages and its kinda had a change in direction…. G60 direction :D

Well i finished all the bodywork…

Full respray in mars red…

Back to the top
picked up a G60 out of a rear impacted rado (engine, charger, loom, box) …

Gave it all a makeover :)

And now i've kinda ran short of moneys :(

So its slowed down a bit :(

But i now have plans for a stg4 kit from Bahn Brenner :D

Back to the top
Oh and nearly forgot the wheels lined up for it… Currently on my daily polo…

Back to the top
Looking good so far buddy

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
looks great keep it up

Back to the top
This long easter weekend has been a god send :D … got my headlining through from Newton Commercial after they cocked up the order AND overcharged me!  :banghead:

So i've used the weekend as a headlining and window fitting weekend :D

I probably went a little mad on the photo's but oh well :P

WP_000130 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000133 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000134 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000137 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000138 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000141 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000150 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000151 by R055i, on Flickr

I'm pretty happy considering i thought i would end up messing it up, crying, then paying someone £300 odd quid todo it for me :D

A few little corners and creases that i need to tidy up a little but i feel like i'm making progress again! :D

Back to the top
awesome mate

great progress, what gearbox and shafts you running? my s1 GTI is/was getting G60'd got all the bits but ran into body needing a re-vamp, so abit stuck atm

Back to the top
Cheers mate :)

Ermmm i'm gonna run the cable change box which came with G60 engine. I was going to keep it simple and use the stock GTi rod change one but i've been told they're 0 to a tonne and all done.

As for driveshafts i haven't sourced them yet but i gather 100mm shafts from a later GTi cabrio are the ones to go for? Haven't really looked into it too much if i'm honest :D

Back to the top
i was gunna use my gti box too, but i ended up buying brandnew 100mm shafts and like you have the full G60 setup, there still in the boxes due to having sorting the body LOL

Back to the top
If you don't mind me asking how much where they brand new and where from? From what i've heard the full G60 setup is better to use :D

Back to the top
My friend came and fitted me a new windscreen today so it is now watertight and awaiting a good wash/polish/wax :D

I've fitted the rear seats, parcel shelf etc….

WP_000155 by R055i, on Flickr

And couldn't resist buying this now the rear window is in …. (see bottom right of window)

WP_000161 by R055i, on Flickr

:D

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers foxy :D yeah me too :D .... think its going to go in when i go to shows for originality :D

Back to the top
Gave it a good clean / polish / wax last weekend and its finally starting to look like a car again :D

Towed out with a flat tyre of the carport by the polo….

WP_000166 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000167 by R055i, on Flickr
looking nice and shining :D

WP_000170 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000172 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000173 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000174 by R055i, on Flickr

WP_000177 by R055i, on Flickr
Hopefully going to fetch a 2 1/4" stainless manifold back this weekend if all goes well so i'll mount that up just to see how it looks :D

Then i realllllly need to start thinking of lowering the front end with a nice G60 lump :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.