Skip navigation

Bronze 87 Clipper - redoing interior

Back to the top

Bronze 87 Clipper - redoing interior

Tian said

Good job mate, refurbishing the interior can be a big job but it's well worth it. What about the roof? You said it was leaking, is this sorted now as I wouldn't advise sorting the interior until it's sure to remain dry.

As for the seats, I'd just keep my eyes open on ebay etc as you never know what will come up. I got a rip free interior off there for £35, just needed a clean and in it went.

T
shame on you!!!

Back to the top
T they not hard to do m8!!!! :dontknow:

Back to the top
I tell you what mate, if you're going to be using it with the top down on every sunny day possible, you'd do as well to get a windbreaker to enhance you driving pleasure!!!  :lol:

http://www.cabrio-windschott.windesa.de/windschott-shop2/product_info.php?info=p71_Bodi-XL---Wind-Deflector-for--br-VW-Golf-MK1-Cabrio-1979---1993.html&XTCsid=cc48066bbbc0e90c7d82be1d2777cd28

They really do work!!!  :wink:

Back to the top
haha, yeah, I don't believe in putting the top up at all!

I've been looking at these deflectors, there's one on ebay I've been looking at which seem to be about the same price.

Did you still want my old fabric Dano?  I'll probably need to chuck it out soon as it's in my hallway, so let me know.

Damnit, you've made me look at that wind deflector now… most of my impulse purchases are Monday mornings depressed at work…

Sod it, I've just been paid…

Ok it's ordered and I hold you personally responsible.

1987 Mk1 Golf Clipper Cab - SOLD
1984 Citroen Acadiane Mixte
1968 Mk3 Triumph Spitfire
1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
Been ages since I've been on here.  Last year I had my Golf running really nicely and took it to France and Cornwall where it drove faultlessly.

But then one of my other old cars was finally back on the road - a 68 Triumph Spitfire I've had since I was 16, I then decided to buy a 26 year old Citroen Acadiane van (what could go wrong!?) that I've been restoring.  I don't know why really, but I got back from Cornwall, parked the Golf and then just didn't get round to using it.

Having 5 cars between us, the other half told me to sell it, and I made a couple of half a*sed attempts to sell it, but didn't really want to.

I was driving the Spitfire the other week and someone pulled out in front of me and caused a crash, so that's back off the road for a while while I wait for the insurance to sort it out, hopefully the other driver won't cause a fuss.

I've been into the garage a few times to roll it in and out, keep the tyres pumped up etc… and it looks lovely, so I think it's time to get Greta back on the road.  I'm going to be in soooo much trouble!

So I need to charge the battery, insure it, tax it, renew my membership on here and MOT it.

I'm a bit concerned that insurance could be tricky whilst the insurance claim for the Spitfire is in progress that getting the Golf insured could be tricky? (other person accepted liability at the scene, but has since cut off all communication and haven't reported the accident to their insurance - so I'm a little concerned they may be planning on pulling a fast one)

Anyway, watch this space - hopefully she should start again without too much bother!

James

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
Well membership is renewed, car insured (£118!) and battery on charge…  think I'll get her running before booking an MOT - might be tempting fate a bit too much.

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
Hi James, I must have missed your post re the fabric.

Do you still have it or did you throw it out in the end? If you do still have it and are coming to the AGM I'll take it off you then if you like???

Ta, Dan

Back to the top
Hiya,

Unfortunately it got dumped in the end, was cluttering up the hall.

Sorry

James

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top

Back to the top
She's on the road and running!!!

The speedo had packed up - took apart the binnacle and noticed the clip that attaches the cable had snapped, glued it together with plastic cement, added a bit of duct tape and reconstructed - all was good!  Well when I say good, it really doesn't seem that accurate (under 20 it wobbles, then over 40 it says I'm going faster than I am) - will a new cable sort this or is it more likely the speedo unit itself?

While it was apart I decided to replace the blown bulbs in the instrument panel which was easier than I expected - got them from Halfords, so probably overpriced, but they went in fine and light up and that's what matters.

Next she needs to have a good clean, and I need to sort something out so she no longer serves as a canoe holder :S

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top

Mk1 Clipper Cab - MOT Failed

Failed its MOT today, not that bad really.

There's a leak from the brake system on the drivers side - tester said he reckoned it would be the rear wheel cylinder, which seems easy enough to sort.  As a result of this, that wheel's brakes failed to pass the test, but hopefully that should all get resolved with a new cylinder.

Also the switch on the actual brake pedal for the brake lights seems to only work intermittently - they were working last night, they worked this morning, they didn't work during the MOT test, but they've now started working  :dontknow: but I've ordered a new pedal switch - although it's special order from VW Heritage, so hopefully won't take too long to come through.

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
Rear wheel cylinder fixed and MOT passed with no advisories.

This is a good thing…

Especially as someone crashed into my Audi at the weekend and I've been given a 1.2 Corsa.  It's like driving a coma.

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top

Jimmeney said

Rear wheel cylinder fixed and MOT passed with no advisories.

This is a good thing…

Especially as someone crashed into my Audi at the weekend and I've been given a 1.2 Corsa.  It's like driving a coma.

If the accident was NOT your fault then you should have the option of driving a like-for-like car. When my RX8 was hit I flat refused to take the crappy hatchback and was given a Audi A6 TDi Avant instead.

T

Back to the top
It's the repair company's courtesy car - if I wanted to muck about it would have taken longer, and if I need something decent, there's always a pool car from work I can grab.

I know I probably should have kicked up a fuss, but I just need an appliance car that's reasonably economical for the time being…  the A4 looks flashy, but it's a 2.0 diesel rep mobile, so I'm not missing it a great deal, lol

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
Haven't been on here in ages.

Got my car MOT'd last year, ran around in it for a few weeks, then attempted to put on a new roof myself (DIY).  Got the old one off, but then struggled to get the new roof on, it got rolled into the garage and forgotten about due to moving house and numerous things going wrong with other cars.

I went on checked on it the other day and she's still sat there and the roof hasn't magically reattached itself!

So now I'm pondering my options and was wondering if anyone knows a company near Warwick / Leamington who would be able to fit my new roof relatively cheaply without judging the fact I've completely failed in my own attempts.  It's currently SORN in my council lock-up so would need a company that comes out to you.

Cheers

James

1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
Do you still have any of the seat material?! 8O
Reason I ask, I have an '87 cab in this colour, with the same interior, and my only small problem is the material is ripped on one of the seats. :(

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.