Skip navigation

B Reg GTI Tin Top

Back to the top

B Reg GTI Tin Top

Just picked up this GTI the other night about 3 miles away from my house, I had already done a small weld for the guy who owned it for its last MOT in August. He said he was selling it for parts so I bought the whole thing off him but he had already sold the bucket seats and Ronal Turbo wheels. This does not matter to me as I will be returning htis back to a standard GTI. Few pics of it in August when I done the welding

The car has also had a 2.0 16v Audi engine fitted with twin weber 45 carburettors and coilovers. First job was to replace the broken alternator and get it chaiging again and I have also replaced the steering wheel with an original 4 button one, thats about it for just now, pics of it today!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Looks like another clean mk1 mate. Not the one I was thinking of but im sure I have seen it somewhere,

Are you putting it back to completely original conditin then or are you keeping the 2 litre in it?

The 45's will sound amazing 8)

Back to the top
Plan to go totally standard, getting an 8v engine with the injection for it! Yeah the 45s sound amazing!

Back to the top
Are you selling the engine then? I know someone who probably wants it  :wink:

Back to the top
Trading the engine for an 8v set up with all the injection stuff. Will be selling the coilovers and anything else thats not standard!

Back to the top
Got a few more jobs done on this, fitted the red trim round the grille, GTI grille badge, rebuilt the front door locks to use the same key as the ignition and gave it a wash! Dont have any pics cos my camera is flat!

Back to the top
Looks good Allan,

another one for the collection,   :wink:

If your going for a standard look & are after some seats, I've got a rear bench & some fronts if you want them  :dontknow:

Cheers

Andrew

Back to the top
Next job on the list was to fit an 8v GTI engine, so I swapped my 2.0 16v for an 8v engine (with blowen head gasket) and all the injection bits and the oil cooler, gearbox, whole set up plus another engine with good cylinder head! Stripped down both engines replace all the seals and gaskets on the new head, lapped in the valves and rebuilt the engine gave it a very quick paint in black before fitting it.

Old engine removed

Car up on my newest toy

New engine fitted

Also been busy trying to sort out the MFA and also fitted the front spoiler and gave the car a wash, its too dark to take a pic now  :x Will be doing more tomorrow as I have had the week off work!

Back to the top
You dont hang about.

Where did you get the lift from? I NEED one

What was squint though? the lift or the camera?

Back to the top
Cheers Ross, the lift is very handy, the ground is a bit uneven and the car wasn't over the centre of the lift but if you get it all lined up nice it lifts nice and even! Its good and stable to work on too cost a lot of money tho but I seen it and had to get it! You get them on ebay the guy is good to deal with!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-LIFT-MID-RISE-SCISSOR-MOBILE_W0QQitemZ330393807113QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4ced016909

No more crawling around on the floor for me but I'm low on funds now  :cry:

Back to the top
hmm that is expensive. Coming back home from work to work on my own cars after using car lifts all day is really annoying. Would love a lift.

Was thinking about getting one of these at least

Anyway, the engines looking good all painted up. Makes all the difference

Any luck selling the 1.1 btw?

Back to the top
I got the lift a wee bit cheaper than that because a got it before the VAT wnt back up! The 1.1 is as good as sold just wainting for the guy to collect it!  8)

Back to the top
Wow looks good loving the black on black. hope you get it running better than when I had it.

thanks for the engine still not fitted but is painted tho.
Will bring that key around at some point.

Back to the top
Not to bothered about the running just now cos its only a cold running issue, but will have a look at it sometime, fitted the seats too, just need to get the rear one off Eck sometime! Will post some pics later on!

Back to the top
Just a few pics of the car with the front spoiler and the seats fitted!

fitted a new speedo cable to night to get the speedo working again, MFA works a bit better but the MPG is miles out says 85 MPG Need to have another look at it sometime!

Back to the top
looks great

Back to the top
Starting to see why the last owner sold this so cheap, it decided to stop charging again, so I checked over the wiring to the battery and someone had put a new connector on the wiring from the alternator and had crimped the plastic bit but not the metal of the connector, so I sorted that, then one of the CV joints decided to start making a noise, so I checked over everything there and its also needs bottom ball joints and wheel bearings, may as well sort it all in one go, got new suspension to fit too! Going to be busy again!

Back to the top
Looking good allan 8)

Back to the top

dubhighland said

Looking good allan 8)

Thanks!

Been very busy again with this, its not easy as its my daily driver and the weather being so rubbish. Have now changed the coilovers for shocks and springs with new front top mounts, have also changed the front wheel bearings, bottom ball joints, outer CV joints and wheel bearings. When changing it all over I noticed that the brake pads were getting low so they are next to be replaced. Once all rebuilt I set the camber and the the tracking, its now totally different to drive.

New ball joint and CV joint

New wheel bearing and hub assy getting refitted

2 wheel laser wheel alignment

Back to the top
Having fun driving the GTI all the time. Now really need to sort out the rear brakes. Was always going to have this as a totally standard GTI but decided since it had rear discs I may as well keep them. So new discs, pads and wheel bearings were fitted. Few pics,

Also noticed this leaking fuel line  :banghead:

So decided a full set of stainless braided lines from Crazyquiff would be a good idea! Still part of the way through fitting them.

Should be a few more updates if the weather stays good!

Also decided to replace the track rods and ends, so now the steering should feel alot better, old parts vs new parts

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.