Skip navigation

Spudwok - Sooo want a engine conversion so need to save!!

Back to the top

Spudwok - Sooo want a engine conversion so need to save!!

johnboy16V - moved your post to big block injection engines so that this doesn't go off topic  :wink:

Back to the top
spud if it was me doing another conversion, i would probably go for a 2 litre 9A block with a kr 16 valve head on injection- as standard youll be geting between 150-180 bhp then with simple things such as uprated fuel pump and bigger injectors you should be pushing 200bhp then for more power you would want to start playing with turbos and chargers so there are many many steps you could do to up the power when you get bored, but best to start with the correct block and head combo first!
any questions just ask, you got me number bud!! :wink:

Back to the top

nickl said

spud if it was me doing another conversion, i would probably go for a 2 litre 9A block with a kr 16 valve head on injection- as standard youll be geting between 150-180 bhp then with simple things such as uprated fuel pump and bigger injectors you should be pushing 200bhp then for more power you would want to start playing with turbos and chargers so there are many many steps you could do to up the power when you get bored, but best to start with the correct block and head combo first!
any questions just ask, you got me number bud!! :wink:

Thanks Nick appreciate that mate.  What engine does the 2ltr 9a block come from and the 16 valve head?

Back to the top
A 9A is out of an Audi- think it's the 80 coupe model- pretty sure so il dour check but it's defo an Audi! And the kr 16v head is a mk2 gti 16v head, this I know for sure and you will defo want this head as it has bigger valves and more aggressive inlet cam so as standard before changing cams and porting/polishing will give you best results and power gains!

And trust me when I say use a 9A block, it's more powerful than any of the 1.8 variances and is not alot less powerful than my abf but will be a whole lot easier to fit! Trust me!!!

Back to the top
hold on James…

you have a mk 1!!?? :dontknow:  :mrgreen:

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

iSpider said

Looking very old school.

Can't wait to see what you do to this spudfingers. Nice

Thanks very much mate… with the help of a friend from the MK meet (you know who you are) I'm sorted for help on the conversion.  I'll document what we do so others doing the same conversion can have a look.

2010 should see me taking the project forward so I'm looking forward to it  :wink:

Well that rules me out then as im no friend of the spudwok :wink:  :lol:

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

nickl said

A 9A is out of an Audi- think it's the 80 coupe model- pretty sure so il dour check but it's defo an Audi! And the kr 16v head is a mk2 gti 16v head, this I know for sure and you will defo want this head as it has bigger valves and more aggressive inlet cam so as standard before changing cams and porting/polishing will give you best results and power gains!

And trust me when I say use a 9A block, it's more powerful than any of the 1.8 variances and is not alot less powerful than my abf but will be a whole lot easier to fit! Trust me!!!

ABF 2.0 tall block

9A 2.0 short block

Tho for ease of log book change id still fit a KR as it remains a 1.8 and will only require a engine number change on V5. have read some stories about people having problems when changine to different engine sizes.

Back to the top
Does the KR just slide in or do I need brackets etc?

thanks lads…. lol @ Bruciesboy… yes I have two mk1's… honest guv

Funk you know you love me… quit denying your feelings… you're only hurting yourself !!!

Back to the top
Use the 8v mounts and drop it in!

Back to the top
All the conversions i mentioned use the 8v mounts!

funk star, i know the 9A is the short block, thats why i said to use it rather than the abf as using the 9A will do away witht the headaches i had with the exhaust manifold and steering rack, and the real only difference between the 2 engines are the 9A has slightly less torque and bhp but will be less hassle getting everything in……oh and allowing you to shut the bonnet properly ( why else do you think i have standoffs on my caddy!?!?!) :banghead:
I had no problems at all with changing my V5 to a big abf from 1.6 diesel, no questions asked at all- my persoal opinion is go for the bigger engine size and get the extra power and smiles if your going to go through the hassle of doing an engine swap, but at the end of the day its upto the owner and user as it is their car! :wink:

Mr T says quit your jibba jabbing and grow some nuts fool- use the 9A! lol :mrgreen:

Back to the top

funk-star said

Use the 8v mounts and drop it in!

Cool…. can't wait till after xmas I can start saving to turn it into a beast  :twisted:

Back to the top
spuds there are no pictures of you & the mk1,
are you sure its yours :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

p.s. generator powers an electric kettle, no fuss :dance:

Back to the top

studs said

spuds there are no pictures of you & the mk1,
are you sure its yours :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

p.s. generator powers an electric kettle, no fuss :dance:

YEAH!!!!!  Kettle at the next meet!!!!  :dance:

Back to the top
Had problems with spudwok when I went on a test run before the Milton Keynes January meet.  Loud knocking noise from the rear passenger side wheel, the alarm didn't work, the battery was flat and the bonnet catch was locked open.  Not had a chance to do anything and needed the car moved to my parents so we could take pics of the front of our house (selling it).  Dad came over, tied the bonnet down after jump starting it and off we went knocking and clunking our way to his.

We dropped it off on Monday and I got a call Tuesday… "hi son… I've fixed your wheel bearing, alarm, battery and bonnet catch"…. "you owe me £11 for the bearing"…. BRILLIANT… SPUDWOK LIVES AGAIN!!!  Dad's a hero… he said he wanted to move it then the noise bugged him… fixed everything and loved driving it about  :lol:

Milton Keynes meet on 2nd March will be it's first Milton Keynes meet so can't wait.  Summer holds an engine conversion if I can get the funds (we're moving  :roll: ).  Should have my silver one running and ready to take to bug-jam, AGM etc  :lol:

Back to the top
would like to see the silver one as i've only here rumours about it :lol:

wish my dad would do the jobs for me without asking

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

would like to see the silver one as i've only here rumours about it :lol:

wish my dad would do the jobs for me without asking

Got the green one an all weather cover from halfords.  Not sure how good it is but we'll see  :wink:

Silver one is leaking a bit from a water gasket… and a metal pipe in the garage tore down the side of it  :cry: … big gouge down the bottom of the rear quarter.. looks like it's nearly went through the skin of the car… gutted  :( … still hope to have it all done by the AGM.

Back to the top
So you'll be there in the vectra then?!!!!  :wink: :mrgreen:  I feel more mad dog chilli coming on!!!

Back to the top

nickl said

So you'll be there in the vectra then?!!!!  :wink: :mrgreen:  I feel more mad dog chilli coming on!!!

HAHAHA… no the spudwok is good mate… the silver one is torn  :cry: .

SPUDWOK TO SHOW AT THE MARCH MK MEET!!! …… terms and conditions may apply… such as not buggering up Spudwok's wheel bearings again lol!!!

Back to the top
Going to take this one to the GTI festival in Santa Pod on 11th April.  Me and Zambeaky should be meeting up in Wellingborough if anyone is going that way and wants to convoy in.

I'm wondering wether or not to put him on the stand though as he's a bit of a rusty old get!!!  :lol:

Back to the top
it's ok mate, park up next to mine!  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.