Skip navigation

Spudwok - Sooo want a engine conversion so need to save!!

Back to the top

Spudwok - Sooo want a engine conversion so need to save!!

This is the wee motor I picked up a couple of months ago.  It needs a lot of bodywork doing and there's loads it needs mechanically too but it runs and it's plenty of fun.

Jobs done so far

Welding on the sill
Shocker caps were corroded so got some out of a new polo.  Got it through MOT and have cabby ones to fit.
Horn was diconnected (as in it was in a box) refitted for MOT
Electrics sorted out as lights and indicators weren't working properly
New battery installed as it wasn't holding it's charge
Little round indicators on the front put on for MOT
Interior trim put back on (need to buy carpet in new year)
Brake calipers replaced due to bleed nipples snapping
New trim courtesy of the legendary Funk-star
Seatbelts fitted
Rear bench installed
Anti roll bar bush and holder replaced

Jobs to do

Sort out all the knocking and banging (wheel bearings, discs and exhaust issues I think)
Drop an engine conversion in
Performance exhaust
Tune and roling road
Change the rear drums to discs
Drop the car 40mm
Sort out the bodywork (this will probably take years to save up for)
New wheels… undecided on Ronal Turbo's, BBS or something else
New carpet

Thanks for looking  :lol:

Back to the top
Nice, love the non bumpered crooked number plate look  :wink:

Baz

Back to the top

Bazwax said

Nice, love the non bumpered crooked number plate look  :wink:

Baz

HAHAHA.. the number plate isn't intentional I don't think.. it's held on by cable ties.. another thing on the list to sort out.

The indicators behind the grill have grown on me.. I stuck them on in the later pics.

Back to the top
:lol:  looks cool though lol, yeah like the hidden indicators can just see them in the pics

Back to the top
nice one!!!!

i've got a spare black carpet mate

it's used but still good with no holes

free to a good home if you want it :D

Banner

Back to the top
Did you buy that car from a bloke called Robin - based in Tamworth ? It was sat (stored) on my neighbours drive for months, and I was tempted to buy it myself - but bought my Rivage instead. It's a nice car, used to run on Renault Turbine rims if I remember rightly.

Steve

Back to the top

jellybelly said

nice one!!!!

i've got a spare black carpet mate

it's used but still good with no holes

free to a good home if you want it :D

Really????  8O … That would be brilliant mate!!

Back to the top
i'll get you some pic's later on and i'll bring it mk meet

my parents want it out of their house :oops:

Banner

Back to the top
Looking very old school.

Can't wait to see what you do to this spudfingers. Nice

Back to the top

stix123 said

Did you buy that car from a bloke called Robin - based in Tamworth ? It was sat (stored) on my neighbours drive for months, and I was tempted to buy it myself - but bought my Rivage instead. It's a nice car, used to run on Renault Turbine rims if I remember rightly.

Steve

Hi Steve,

No mate it was from someone in Caldecotte Northamptonshire.  He took nearly everything off including seat belts, trim, horn etc… not sure what he was going to do with it i.e drop it a bit, respray or something  :dontknow: .  I bought it with a vision of putting it through a conversion and time and money permitting, getting it through a bare metal respray once engine and running gear is all set up (years away).  Keep it as my modded mk1 alongside my original.

Back to the top

iSpider said

Looking very old school.

Can't wait to see what you do to this spudfingers. Nice

Thanks very much mate… with the help of a friend from the MK meet (you know who you are) I'm sorted for help on the conversion.  I'll document what we do so others doing the same conversion can have a look.

2010 should see me taking the project forward so I'm looking forward to it  :wink:

Back to the top
What engine are you going to do mate ?

Back to the top

Bigadd said

What engine are you going to do mate ?

Hey bigadd, probably a 16Valver mate.. I want to push the 150bhp area and may need to upgrade bits to achieve it.  Not too sure yet as being led by a mate at the MK meet.  Think he's doing one first, I'll give him a hand to learn… then I'm off doing mine  :lol:

Back to the top
Will the danger be you want more power once you get used to it then you will have to do another one ??

Just thinking out loud Spuddy as i was faced with the same decision.

Back to the top

Bigadd said

Will the danger be you want more power once you get used to it then you will have to do another one ??

Just thinking out loud Spuddy as i was faced with the same decision.

What did you go for in the end?

Back to the top

jellybelly said

i'll get you some pic's later on and i'll bring it mk meet

my parents want it out of their house :oops:

LOL parents aye!!  I have no carpet at all so I'll gladly take it mate.  It's also a reason to get you to an MK meet  :lol:

Back to the top
I went for a AGU 20vt lump 150bhp standard with a KO3 on it, Im going to be running Qpeng ECU and it is mapped to 200bhp. If i do get bored and want to go a bit faster it will be easy as i will bolt on a KO3S and with a remap i think it goes to 240bhp.

This will require no major new bits, of course then i could go K04 or IHI or Garrett but all with extensive changes but as i read it once aquired its bolt on bolt off, ie manifold and d/pipe and injectors.

Then 300bhp is achievable.

I will im sure be happy enough at 200-240bhp.

Back to the top
I can see myself getting more and more power until I get a car like the AK Bodycraft 4wd one… got to start somewhere though and 150bhp is 38bhp more than it has now so a big enough difference for now me thinks!!  :lol:

Back to the top
I bet its about 75 more bhp than now mate i cant see the Golf you have now doing 112bhp.

Did you see top gear that time when they put old supercars on a dyno they were well below half of what they should have been.

Back to the top
True that!!  Good point they lost about 10% each year in the end or something.  It'll feel super fast then… love it  :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.