Skip navigation

roof down top speed.....

Back to the top

roof down top speed.....

so whats the fastest you can go with the roof down and no hood cover on before the roof makes like a parachute???
i dont like the look of hood covers/tonneaus, but dont want to not be able to drive down the motorway!

cheers

Back to the top
Fast as you like mate and certainly up to motorway speeds. The cover is there to protect the inside of the roof from dirt and to make it tidy. It's also law on the continent as it covers the frame and makes it safer for other road users.

Do ensure your roof is fitted correctly and the central straps that tuck the outer lining in are fixed otherwise you will get a kind of parachute effect coupled with a lot of flapping, not good.

T

Back to the top
thats all good then.

roof is all tidy and fitted correctly, so no problems there.

if i were say on a track or private land, doing 130mph, would the roof still be fine aerodynamically? or would it start to pull itself apart?

Back to the top
130 in a cabby are you mad :-)
They have the aerodynamics of a brick !!
The steering will get pretty light !!
And perhaps your underware will need a refresh !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
well i've gotta take her to top speed at least once!

besides, cant be much worse than doing it in a mk2! :lol:

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

his right are you mad  :x !! trust me you would not want to do that speed in a cabby i know i wouldnt…… scary

roof up or down no way

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

GOLF MKII DRIVER - ex took it

GOLF MKII GTI 16V - scrapped

JETTA MkII GTI 8V LMT EDTION

Back to the top
it appears my cojones are rather large then, because believe me, i WILL find out what top speed is…. i've never owned a car i havent had at top speed at least once, cant go breaking tradition now can i!:lol:

so, back to the original question, will the uncovered roof handle it?

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

All MK1s have the same aerodynamics, rubbish mate. Top speed is the same on all GTIs too and I believe it's about 112mph. As for Cabbies, can't promise but I think they have to be tested at top speed roof off and on. All I can say is I've had mine up very near the top roof off and it was fine.

T :wink:

Back to the top
not a standard engine so top speed will be slightly higher. prob top out at 120ish at present until i fit new box and few other tweaks.

i know old vw's in general are as aerodynamic as cheesecake, but you gotta push it all the way just once eh!

Back to the top

deanpompey said

not a standard engine so top speed will be slightly higher. prob top out at 120ish at present until i fit new box and few other tweaks.

i know old vw's in general are as aerodynamic as cheesecake, but you gotta push it all the way just once eh!

Stay safe and legal mate.

T :wink:

Back to the top
of course :)

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

LOL did [on private track] 143mph in my tin top [satellite nav confirmed] wipers left the screen , doors started to open at the top , front end started to drift .

Enjoy .

Back to the top
thats what im talkin about :)

Back to the top
messin about in a mk1??

beats alton towers any day… :lol:  8)

that accelerator pedal goes to the floor for a reason right!!!! :lol:

I swapped my wife for a Golf GTI!!!

Back to the top
done 113mph in a mates "replica sportline"  :wink: not saying names :wink: .

seemed safe to me

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

It's the speed limit on the toll roads here in France and I do that speed in summer quite often with the roof down. I think I've done about 150 with the roof down, but with the hood cover on as I still haven't fixed my parachute issues on this Golf.

The old Rivage did 150 with the roof down and no cover without any parachuting or other problems. Roof up, I got her up to 160, then chickened out and slowed down.

Life in the French Alps: <a href="Le Franco Phoney: All things French in La Clusaz, Annecy and Haute Savoie">www.lefrancophoney.com</a>

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

seemed safe to me

T :lmao:

Back to the top

Tian said

whatalotafun said

seemed safe to me

T :lmao:

what???? there must be loads of sportline replicas………..right?

Back to the top

April said

lhasadreams said

It's the speed limit on the toll roads here in France and I do that speed in summer quite often with the roof down. I think I've done about 150 with the roof down, but with the hood cover on as I still haven't fixed my parachute issues on this Golf.

The old Rivage did 150 with the roof down and no cover without any parachuting or other problems. Roof up, I got her up to 160, then chickened out and slowed down.

you do know we are talking mph not kmph

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

April said

lhasadreams said

you do know we are talking mph not kmph

Oh bugger. Well, I would be waaay too scared to take the current cabby to anything like that! I think it would just fall apart.

Life in the French Alps: <a href="Le Franco Phoney: All things French in La Clusaz, Annecy and Haute Savoie">www.lefrancophoney.com</a>
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.