Skip navigation

Winter car project. FINISHED pics 1/1/12

Back to the top

Winter car project. FINISHED pics 1/1/12

I flippin love this thread! Can't wait until its finished so I can read the whole thing from star to finish in 1 go! :D

Back to the top
Glad your enjoying it :D

Back to the top
AWESOME thread mate. Very inspiring!

I think I'm going to go crack on with mine tomorrow!

Back to the top
Absolutely amazing work! 8O

As said so many times by everyone else, it's inspirational 8)

I've been welding a few years now but always been scared to touch the bodywork on my mk1, but you make it look easy! :D

Back to the top
Some nice looking welding there, are you enjoying the welding? Its a job I like doing, it feels good when its done and it looks good (like yours does  8) )

Keep up the good work

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
nice work. out of interest what do you use for cutting out the rotten areas as the cuts you do are very clean.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

MK1Allan said

Some nice looking welding there, are you enjoying the welding? Its a job I like doing, it feels good when its done and it looks good (like yours does  8) )

Keep up the good work

Thanks, yeah I really enjoy the welding. Its my favourite part of restoration but also the bit I want finished and out of the way asap funnily enough. Sometimes the thought of the job ahead can be a real downer or when it feels like its never ending but like you say when you stand back and look at what you've done when finished it feels good.

madone_si said

nice work. out of interest what do you use for cutting out the rotten areas as the cuts you do are very clean.

Cheers. Already answered :wink:

"Depends on how much access I have and how comfortable it is. I use an angle grinder with a 115mm x 1mm cutting disc for big cuts and an air powered rotary cut off tool for smaller cuts or if access is limited. And a dremel with tiny cutting discs for the really tricky to reach bits! They break so easily though so its a good plan to have hundreds of them!"

Back to the top
Really nice work mate. Really neat welds! Good work. Keep it up!

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
Theres been a lot of progress lately :) I just didnt upload any pics because im that busy working on it!

Few pics from the last few weeks..

Borrowed an arch roller from stbaz (thanks again!) and I now want one :p Great tool.

Managed to get a solid door to replace one of mine which was too far gone to bother with and a solid tailgate.

Doors all prepped

Prep work on the shell pretty much finished at this point

And heres some pics from the weekend just passed

All masked up, degreased etc ready for spraying

And here it is in barcoat. good to see it all in one colour! Its coming on :)

Next weekend I'll get it in high build primer.

Back to the top
brilliant work ross
I think youve got a bit carried away for a winter runabout  :mrgreen:
cheers
baz

Back to the top
Yeah i know :lol: I cant help it. If its going to be done I may aswell do it properly.

Want it on the road for November

Back to the top
excellent work man, picking my first gti up on saturday,

keep it up dude, will be watching this.

Back to the top

Tom-DL said

excellent work man, picking my first gti up on saturday,

keep it up dude, will be watching this.

Cheers mate. Good luck with it

Back to the top
Now in white high build primer  :)

And yes it is very cramped and a nightmare to spray like this :( But theres nothing I can do about that. It looks more cramped in the pics than it is though I think.

With some luck it will be in olde english white by sunday night!

Back to the top
The car is now officially olde english white  :D

Now its time to put it all back together. The best bit!

Back to the top
Looking good  8)

Have you got new trim to fit or just using the original stuff? I Always find the old parts look tired against the fresh new paint!

Looking nice tho, makes me want to do some work to mine, but it will have to wait.

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
I just bought front and rear screen chrome trims as mine were all faded/painted silver and cracking. And that was my thinking too. No point painting a a car and fitting the old tired trims! The side trims are all good though and the rest of the chrome so should look spot on.

Back to the top
Looking good ross 8)

Back to the top
Well overdue an update I think. The car is almost completely back together now. Screens in, interior back in. Just the bumpers, trim and handles to go on and then MOT.

Pics….

Ive started the polishing. Its looking ok so far. Good reflection but Im never totally happy so i want to do some bits again but thats a job for next year when its warmer

Back to the top
Wow top work my man! 8) , keep the good work & updates flowing!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.