Skip navigation

Winter car project. FINISHED pics 1/1/12

Back to the top

Winter car project. FINISHED pics 1/1/12

Ahh the only big difference is the interior colour. Oh and yours isnt falling to bits  :lol: Looks good. Have you started a project thread?

Bought some gas for the welder today so I'll be starting the welding tomorrow. Structural bits first so i can atleast get the MOT done in time for it going back on the road.

cheers for the comments.

Back to the top

ross_m said

Ahh the only big difference is the interior colour. Oh and yours isnt falling to bits  :lol: Looks good. Have you started a project thread?

Bought some gas for the welder today so I'll be starting the welding tomorrow. Structural bits first so i can atleast get the MOT done in time for it going back on the road.

cheers for the comments.

yeah i got a thread up mate, gotta save some pennies now so i can start repairin her as all my car tinkerin funds are tied up in my mini clubman van! lol

i really like the 5 door mk1s, so much easier if u got passengers! :D no clamberin out the back lol

Back to the top
I just had a look at your clubman. Lovely motor! Makes me want one

Back to the top
it was an estate, but i converted it to a van, totally rebuilt it in 4 months including paint :P keep gettin tempted to fit a vw grill badge just to confuse people lol

Back to the top
hey ross, i got a new splitter with fixings for sale if your interested as i see yours got a chunk missing out of it :)

1981 Mk1 Golf L, Westy Front End

Back to the top
Another mk1 being saved :) looks like you have a lot of work to do, but worth it in the end :)

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

olds_kool_lews said

it was an estate, but i converted it to a van, totally rebuilt it in 4 months including paint :P keep gettin tempted to fit a vw grill badge just to confuse people lol

4 months? You must have been putting in a fair few hours then? Or was it not as much of a rot box as most minis? Are you a painter by trade? Im teaching myself to paint. This will be the second one so should be ok.

If you want to confuse people put a mini badge on your golf   8O  :? :lol:

Kimi said

hey ross, i got a new splitter with fixings for sale if your interested as i see yours got a chunk missing out of it :)

Thanks for letting me know but i have a new one ready to go on. Well its not new but as good as.

madone_si said

Another mk1 being saved :) looks like you have a lot of work to do, but worth it in the end :)

It will be worth it in the end I think. I thought about selling/ breaking and getting something like a mk3 polo for the winter since its a bit newer and i wont care too much about it. But I cant break a mk1 unless its really bad and newer cars are no fun

Back to the top
I got the o/s/f inner wing top finished today. Took some pics along the way.

It all crumbled at the top so a lot had to be cut out.

Cut out the rot

New piece shaped and welded in

Welded this piece in which connects the scuttle to the inner wing

Then went over it with the flap wheel.

Just need to make holes and weld in captives for the wing bolts

As said the other side wont need this done so thats good but i need to make a few repairs to the bottom of the sills at the front and back. Thats tomorrows jobs. Updates to follow :)

Back to the top
excellent work mate, i did the same kinda thing with my swallowtail A post/wing tops.

Back to the top
Hi

good to see another mk1 getting some TLC , are you going na run it through the winter after all the work your putting into it?  :|

cheers
baz

Back to the top
Yeah :? I know it sounds strange to do that but Id rather drive a car I enjoy than get something newer just to tuck it away for the winter.  Got to remember though I only have this car so I can take my good ones off the road :) Its not so bad as I only pay for materials/tools as Im doing all the work myself. It will be well undersealed too

Got your pm. Cheers for that

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

excellent work mate, i did the same kinda thing with my swallowtail A post/wing tops.

Cheers. Ive been following your thread. I saw yours on ebay and wanted it but it was too far away. For a swallowtail it didnt have much wrong innner wing wise did it? Mine seemed worse and its an '81. Yours will be some car when its finished. The dipping looks worth it! Looks amazing.

Back to the top
O/s inner wing is now finished :)

Cleaned up

Rot cut out

New piece welded into the crossmember as it had rusted away completely

L-piece between front panel and inner wing welded in

Cut and welded thin strips to mark out the curve

Corner piece shaped and welded in. I tried to get it as near to the original shape as possible.

Wing mounting tab piece shaped and welded and front panel repaired

Just needs skim of filler now.

Gaps looking good.

Then got the car on skates. Its so much easier to move it about.

Back to the top
smart, good welding mate. keep at it....

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
Excellent welding work there mate :)

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!

Steff

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
Looking good, those roller skates for cars are the best things ever arnt they? I have had mine for a few years now, cant work in a small garage with out them  :wink:

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Yep the skates a life saver when theres other cars in the drive stopping me from turning it round. I think If I needed to I could turn it 360 degrees too.

Finished work on the n/s inner wing and the front panel is now finished. Turns out it was just as bad at the front as the other side. Few pics..

Sills next I think

Back to the top

ross_m said

olds_kool_lews said

4 months? You must have been putting in a fair few hours then? Or was it not as much of a rot box as most minis? Are you a painter by trade? Im teaching myself to paint. This will be the second one so should be ok.

nah mate, mainly weekend work! but then again it was from about 8am till about 11pm most weekends lol the missus wasnt happy, but us men need our time to do our projects n hobbies! it was in a terrible state, didnt look too bad when i 1st got it, but as i found out, looks are very deceiving! heres a link to the build if your interested…

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=160907&st=0&start=0
im a gardener by trade, i had the painting done from an outside source as i didnt have time to do it myself, but everything else i did myself :) still tempted to put a VW badge on the mini grill lol

as for your project, looking good mate, doing a great job on it! should be a good solid winter car when its finished! :D

gonna crack on with mine today, gonna take the carb off and give it a clean out and check the seals etc, wanna make sure its all good and no air leaks etc as still having running issues :(

Back to the top

olds_kool_lews said

ross_m said

olds_kool_lews said

nah mate, mainly weekend work! but then again it was from about 8am till about 11pm most weekends lol the missus wasnt happy, but us men need our time to do our projects n hobbies! it was in a terrible state, didnt look too bad when i 1st got it, but as i found out, looks are very deceiving! heres a link to the build if your interested…

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=160907&st=0&start=0
im a gardener by trade, i had the painting done from an outside source as i didnt have time to do it myself, but everything else i did myself :) still tempted to put a VW badge on the mini grill lol

as for your project, looking good mate, doing a great job on it! should be a good solid winter car when its finished! :D

gonna crack on with mine today, gonna take the carb off and give it a clean out and check the seals etc, wanna make sure its all good and no air leaks etc as still having running issues :(

I read through the thread. The mini looks smart. Nice and subtle! Probably one of the nicest clubmans Ive seen to be honest

Did you have any luck with finding what was causing your running issues? Ive had to replace carb mounts on all of mine because they draw in air. I always have one as spare now :)

Back to the top
I had 3 hours on the car today as I had a half day off work

So I decided to tackle the front of the o/s sill

As you can see it was all holed and thin.

So I cut it all out. And there was a bit of surface rust on the inner sill so i rubbed it down and treated it.

I wanted to keep the original shape so after making it up in 3 pieces I tacked it all on

Welded up and ground down with the flap wheel

Primed for now to stop it rusting

The other side is worse. I think I'll need to replace part of the floor….

Also a pic of the finished front panel primed for now.

And before and after pics of the engine bay.  Alloy wheel cleaner works a treat in there :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.