Skip navigation

Temp gauge

Back to the top

Temp gauge

Hi the temp gauge on my mk1 caddy goes to 3/4 with just ignition on.

still seem to work just starts in i way too high position. i tried another gauge, same result. coul the sender be at fault.

its a 1.6d with a 1.6td fitted

cheers

mark

Back to the top
Sender may be different to MK1 item , but as they are cheap worth changing , does the gauge read zero with sender disconnected and ignition on ?

Back to the top
thats wht i need to try was hoping so otherwise its the dash out again but as i changed the guage and it sits in the same place i was thinking could be sender. does the voltage stabilizer usually effect more than one gauge

Back to the top
disconnect the red/yellow wire and try again. if gauge remains at 3/4 then its a wiring fault, if it stays at 0 then its the sensor. it'll be in one of the flanges on the front or side of the head. sensor  should be black, mk1 usually black collar single pin and threaded, later modes have a black 2 pin push fit item held in with a clip.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
cheers will try that this weekend if the if it stops bloody raining. it has 2 switches in a the plastic flange on the front. it has had a 1.6 td put in so was hoping it was just the wrong/ faulty switch. would anyone know if it was the switch to the top or side/underneath the flange?

Back to the top
as i say, its the one that is black ;)

Back to the top
to be honest i thought they both looked black but i couldnt be sure.

Back to the top
well if they're both black it doesn't matter which one :lol:

whichever has the red/yellow wire on right now is what the gauge is using :)

Back to the top
right checked it its the one at the top has the yellow and red and an earth... when i disconnect the temp guage still goes to over half way. does this mean there is a problem with the cable earthing or is it the voltage regulator as the fuel guage is ok...... help!!

Back to the top
it would suggest there is a wiring fault somewhere, disconnecting the plug should make it not register at all.
did it have a level sensor? if so try pulling out relay #42 or 43, will be clipped above the fusebox.

Back to the top
Hang on? what do you mean by "and an earth?" you mean theres an earth connected to the red/yellow wire?

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
no he means its a 2 pin plug, red/yel wire to 1 pin, and earth to the other ;)

Back to the top
Ah right, just checking.  :lol:

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
yeah thats right 2 pin, so where so i go from here, will the yellow/red wire be earthing somewwhere?

Back to the top
yeah its possible, unless there is another red/yel wire somewhere else you have missed?  as above, see if you can find a level sensor control relay, 42 or 43 above the fusebox. its possible if fitted that it has gone a bit tits up!

Back to the top
Possibly earthing to the chasis, but if it was doing that it'd be all the way over I would think.

Try the inside the dash/clocks and see if theres a short somewhere, you could possibly try removing the pin out of the plug on the back of the dash and see if it still shows 3/4, unless RubJ can suggest a better way?  :wink:

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
I think disconnecting the engine bay wiring loom from the fusebox would achieve the same thing, that way you dont have to risk damaging the dash plug. iirc the main live and earth wires are not in the main plug from the engine bay loom?

Back to the top
thanks, ok will check for relay..its pretty hard at the moment with this gash weather we are having to take a proper look!  should it have the relay or is it just dependent on the engine and year etc

Back to the top
only fitted to the higher end models usually :)

Back to the top
ok well this is the problem i face as it was a 1.6d 1990 but now has a 1.6TD in and not sure what this came from but i guess this is causing the prblem with the guage some how!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.