Skip navigation

MK1 Jetta, 2ltr 16v ACE

Back to the top

MK1 Jetta, 16v.... 2.0 ACE bottom end on the cards

So for some reason i've never posted my build thread on here but I have elsewhere. thought it was a bout time the mk1 owners community were informed of my general doings……. I hope you enjoy.

Been looking through this forum in awe of all the sweet motors for a while, thought i'd introduce my self and a few of my motors…….I'm shaun from shrewsbury and heres my recently purchased MK1 jetta…….low miler low owner, beaut.

I picked it some months back from a member off the caddyforum (I also have a caddy in mid reso ay the mo http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=19068 so this jetta will be the next project.

A reg 35k on the clock, mint interior, a few minor car park dings but nothing major… Owned by an elderly fello who passed over…

Planning on dropping the beauty, on some nice 13s and pretty much keeping standard.

Their quite rare nowadays so i'm gonna keep her simple…..but low.

Happy days

Shaun

Last edit: by dubassasin

MK1 83 Jetta… 2ltr 16v ACE
MK1 88 caddy pickup 20VT soon
MK2 Golf 90spec 2ltr ABF coming soon
T5 TDI

Back to the top
Its been a while since i've been here, though i'd post a progress report quickly, the jettas been cleaned and t-cut
new manifold seals
new carb base seal
patched the exhaust
awaiting banded steelies
just gonnna order some collies for her.
Bit of welding underneath
THEN MOT TIME.

heres the wheels, i'm getting the other 4 banded 2 with a 2 inch band and 2 with a 1 inch band, this one is the spare wheel, i've been playing around with colour combinations, the blue lip is a lot smaller now I decided to go for a finer line.

T5 TDI

Back to the top
Been busy on the old girl of late, i'll let the pics do the talking……..first pic shows the standard fit arch trim in grey ooooh orrid any hooo I expected the worst when I took em off

Note the konigsport coilies, new brakes and grooved discs.

Thats just the one arch the others were all pretty similar one had a bit of surface rust which scotchbrite in the drill took care of.
Then arches were rolled slightly, with some stonechip then painted over the inside and outside of the arch to stop the dreaded rain getting back in. :tdown:

Next onto the bumpers they both look like this.

Scotchbrite in the drill again to rough them up and take the crap paint off, quick clean with panel wipe then on with the spray…….

Be away with you chrome…..this is how she stands at the mo     (the bumpers will be goin back on even the she look hard as fook like this )

Note the GTI arches, these are a temporary affair till I get a respray in the original colour, to freshen her up a bit……

A friend of mine is breaking a mk2 driver so theres a replacement engine on the cards,,,, a few more cc's under the hood and another gear will be a godsend.

No MOT yet, but its not gonna be my daily till the weather smartens up……..now I need to send some love to my Number1 project……the caddy pickup…….

What ya reckon ??

T5 TDI

Back to the top
she now has the back wheels on, refurbed all black bumper front and rear.

This photo shows how clean she really is for 25 year old 35K miler……….soon as my knees better the 5 speed will be goin in and then i'll be saving to drop a mk2 16valver in……..S.L.E.E.P.E.R stylee

T5 TDI

Back to the top
couple of pics from today…

T5 TDI

Back to the top
Today I fitted some braided brake lines what an arkward son of a bitch they were, but now need to replace some copper pipe  :-/
Also bought a zender spoiler for the ol girl, still not sure weather i'm into it or not ??

A penny for your thoughts ??

T5 TDI

Back to the top
mate very nice car  like this 1 alot but i would lose the spoiler not a fan of it cheers

Back to the top
Lookin fwd to seeing the pics. Works PC won't let me view them  :banghead:

DubPartz

Back to the top
keep the spoiler! propper 80's!!!

what paint did you use on the bumpers?

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top
Ah hah... looks familiar. Have I seen it on Jetta Owners or E38 site ??

DubPartz

Back to the top
^^^Yeah, me too!

Back to the top
Yeah its on edition and a few others fellas.

Mixed views on the zender spoiler I see, thats why I thought i'd bond it on then if i change my mind a bit of fishing wire will soon fetch it off.

T5 TDI

Back to the top
Well she's street legal now so have been out and about lots now the good weather is here.
Still got a few niggles to sort out.
A genuine sunroof
The carb needs a tune up.
Exhaust blows
Install a wireless/tune box.
And a pair of new wishbones.
Maybe some wood beaded seat covers ?
Also I think i'm gonna break my mk1 gti soon so the engine may find its way into the jetta ?
And i'm also considering some new wheels, dunno yet though, it just seems to lack something ??

A few pics from today :music:

T5 TDI

Back to the top
Well I swapped the 14's for some 13's the other week. (cheers robodredd) Gave em a refurb and a fresh lick o shiny paint.

Shes low……. but she looks how I wanted now…. still got a few wiring niggles to sort out just the stereo, interior light, cigarette lighter. Probably a fuse but I have found some suspect wiring, which I'll sort out soon.

T5 TDI

Back to the top
Got a nice recent ish pic from  deva

Since the photo was taken the number plate surrounds have been binned (never liked em,to much detail) New slimline mirrors, also just picked up some genuine door handle seals all round.  
Also started to strip the 16valver down for paint and new belts and all that jazz, more photos to come when I have something more worthy than oily rags, I have a mk1 GTI which wil be donating it gear box. and mocal oil cooler. as well as some othe bits and bobs.

T5 TDI

Back to the top
After a session yesterday with the powerwasher and some degreaser followed by a wire brush in the drill the new powerplant looked like this.

Its now painted aluminium silver with a black inlet manifold, and this morning I started the rebuild………..More pics to follow.
I have replaced….
Water pump
Hoses (water)
Thermostat
Oil filter
Oil/water cooler
New clutch on order
New sump and seal on order
New Rocker cover seal
And will be using the mocal air/oil cooler and sandwich plate out of my mk1 GTI, to keep it running a bit cooler.
Along with the MK1 gti gearbox

T5 TDI

Back to the top
Sold the 1.3 engine so i've been prepping the engine bay, took the engine mount off ready to be re-welded in the correct place for the big block. I've also taken the battery tray out as it was rusty which had also started to spread to the chassis leg and inner wing so this has been taken back to bare metal and etched.
Also took off some not needed bracketry i.e expansion tank and the 2 washer reservoir brackets one on the offside inner wing which would have fouled on the 16v air box. and the one on the near side inner wing.
I'm hopefully going to make a washer reservoir and have it in the scuttle tray.
Also replaced the bushes all round on the 020 gearbox, also my sachs clutch turned up so that will be going on. With a bit of luck this week i'd like to have the engine sitting in the bay……….. Hopefully…

This is the state of play at the moment, Not enough hours in the day but its getting there…..Gotta get a new crank seal, do clutch, and final checks

Those cable ties were only done temporary till i got the stainless ones on, the manifold is all wrapped up properly now.

Battery tray had gone crusty so battery will be relocated to the boot. This is now all painted.

Finally got round to taking the fuel tank pump and accumulator off the gti parts donor so set about today taking the tank of the jetta ready for the gti one.
Just got to tidy up the edges of the tank as there's a bit of surface rust, then por15 it.
Also gonna spray some waxoyl underneath the tank, the underside of this car has been waxoyled heavily by its previous owners so it only seems right to give it a bit more love. to be honest its bloody solid.

I'l let the photos do the talking…

Slowly but surely…….

also eventually sorted some fuel lines, I thought about braided jobbies but thought if nylon was good enough for VW and the KR engine then they would be good enough for me, so I trip to the local pneumatic store in good old shrews saw me straight with 20m of 8mm airline for the princely sum of ?12.

The chap on the counter ran a check to the manufactures of the nylon line, who confirmed that the nylon is good for petrol applications, being airline it will be more than capable of the pressures the fuel pump can throw at it.

No need for hose clips either as it will be sweated onto the unions, just as VW did it.

T5 TDI

Back to the top
Had a productive day yesterday on the ol girl, cleaned and painted the tank off the GTI in por15 and gotta say it's good stuff goes on well with a good finish, attached all the hoses ready to go….

Cleaned underneath the fuel tank area on the jetta, there was  few areas of surface rust which were easily removed with the trusty die grinder and scotch pad. then etched primered and then a few layers of stonechip. eventually the whole underside will be done too.

Whilst scrabbling around underneath I turned to the fuel lines which are all in perfect condition considering their 26 years old, but that might have had something to do with the thick layer of waxoyl which the underside is covered in. TBH its done a bloody good job of keeping the dreaded rust at bay :)
So out with those and in with the new 8mm airline, which I acquired at a fraction of the cost of braided lines.
Where the new lines pass in to the engine bay I have sleeved the lines with some other rubber fuel lines for protection from heat and mechanical damage.

Check out the battle scars on the tank after wrestling the bugger in :bh

Next on the agenda is to clean the bay area, then waxoyl the lower sections of the bay, also inside the chassis legs as when the mount was welded in most of it dribbled out from the heat build up.

T5 TDI

Back to the top
My new to me fuel pump turned up along with a freshly powdercoated fuel pump hanger so that will all be bolted up soon and plumed in properly.

Also went up the unit tonight and sprayed both chassis legs and front panel cross member and all the lower section of the bay in waxoyle so tomorrow night if all goes to plan.

THERE WILL BE A VALVER SITTING PRETTY BETWEEN THE WHEELS

And I want it running in 2 weeks

T5 TDI

Back to the top
In
Ya
Pop………

May the rebuild commence…..

1/ Upgrade brakes to MK1 GTI discs and pads + Mk2 servo/mc
2/ Replace rear sections of brake lines where I had to disconnect them to aid fuel tank install.
3/ Renew nearside front wheel bearing
4/ Attach fuel pump and accumulator assembly and plumb in.
5/ Remove dash to aid fuse box wiring.
6/ Remove carpet to run cables to Fuse box for fuel pump.
7/ Install cable run to boot for new battery location.
8/ Sound deadening underlay.
9/ Cut and mount air box.
10/ Attach mk2 rad to my existing top fill section of mk1 rad.
11/ Wire engine.
12/ Fab exhaust up.
13/ Some sort of contraption for my water bottle which will now located in the scuttle tray.
14/ Attach a plumbers heat shield over the steering rack boot for added fire protection.
15/ This list will swell no doubt, 3 fold.

…….. I'm tweaking to get this thing driving now.

T5 TDI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.