Skip navigation

Fast golf website

Back to the top

Fast golf website

Spudfingers said

It was previous to you removing it to take with you to fast golf.

The data was not removed from this site - the tech section articles which I wrote or compiled; as well as the register, the events calendar and the membership module remained in place after I'd left. Indeed my own thread on 16V conversion is in the FAQ area. That has not moved and plenty of people have found it and referred to it.

Its not just about the raw data, it was the articles as they were concisely written; and a couple of interactive features. Basically, its the extra stuff that fastgolf had which this site didn't have. Also the register was enhanced but this remained unlaunched.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Dean, I asked for a tech coordinator 17 months ago (when I was the website manager) and nobody came forwards with the right combination of skills and interest in Mk1 Golfs. The main stumbling block was that people didn't cope with HTML, or adding content to the site. Even with the software update, the data will need to be formatted (in HTML), the pics all sized neatly, checked for accuracy, etc. Even 'converting' a thread into an article is work, albeit a routine task, yet nobody stepped up then. I gave it a couple of months then started on it myself - the tech articles on the left are proof of this and have an enduring popularity.

If the issue of the person to actually physically do the updates has been address, then great! How many articles have they already done? Do we need to press "refresh" to see the tech section grow, or are they all for the future software upgraded site?

The taking over of the old fastgolf data is a shortcut to getting a very full tech section, all we're asking for is our outlay covered AT COST.

If people prefer to use the search engine on the forum, or the sticky posts, or the FAQ section, that's all good too, but with the amount of questions that get asked on things already covered, I personally don't think this is the most effective way of managing the mass of tech info out there.

paul i understand that work went into the making of the site and i understand that you would like to recoup your money back. but if the information is so valuable to people out there, how comes you never made your money back in the donations you recieved from "fastgolf"? as the mk1oc would also be relying on donations to recoup its cash too!

i understand WHY you want the money for it, but i don't think it's a good thing for this club to PAY for it. surely you would rather see it go to a worthy cause?

Back to the top
im feeling the love here you guys and really missed me go on admit it :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

im feeling the love here you guys and really missed me go on admit it :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
i love you ben :oops: missed you loads

if it makes him happy.

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

bens_cab said

i love you ben :oops: missed you loads

if it makes him happy.

thats you not him :wink:

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

paul i understand that work went into the making of the site and i understand that you would like to recoup your money back. but if the information is so valuable to people out there, how comes you never made your money back in the donations you recieved from "fastgolf"? as the mk1oc would also be relying on donations to recoup its cash too!

Mk1 Golf OC is structured differently - it asks for membership at ?15/year

We never asked for membership money, merely donations.

You'd need to ask those people who didn't donate, why they didn't donate, I guess its just not the 'done thing' although we are of course very grateful to those who did find it in their hearts to put their hands in their pockets and at least soften the blow of the costs of database setup, web hosting, etc.

Personally I admire the Mk1 Golf OC for being able to continue to ask for ?15 per year off members and control its costs so effectively that it only spends ?4.50/member per year.

Back to the top
nope im not quite feeling the love YET 8)

Back to the top
any minute now there will indeed be a group hug and ill be feeling some love  :mrgreen:

but then someone will post fastgolf was a failure and i wont be feeling it again :roll:

Back to the top
come on feel it
- YouTube

Back to the top
I helped somebody on 2 different occasions 3 years ago and saved them over ?45. Would it be rude of me to ask for a small fee? 8)

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top
Another thing I'm scratching my head on - why does this site want the data so much? 12? months ago and previously, I'd made many suggestions that others continue the tech section and enhance it, however no action was taken. I was a little perplexed but just put it down to this site wanting to focus more on the forum than articles and interactive features.

Hence, fastgolf was launched and approached things from a different angle, and it positioned itself complimentary to this forum and others such as the Scirocco Register, ClubGTI, Edition 38, Caddy Forum.

I think Andy/A5OPY needs to take a decisive step - either start the vote going, decide to negotiate privately by PM and on behalf of the club; or to decline the offer on the table.

This thread is 7 pages long and people are asking the same questions which have already been answered, maybe time to wrap things up and allow voting or proper negotiations to commence?

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

Bigadd said

Like i say i personaly think its a shame something cannot be done, maybe some people dont really want the info as some dont like doing "things" to MK1s ?????

:dontknow:

?170 of clubs money to purchase info that the club will not make a return on just seems stupid, as the club will only offer it back out for free (the best way).

I don`t normally reply on stuff like this but that quote above from Dean needs bringing back to. The mk1 golf owners club is not supposed to be about making a return from anything, we charge people a yearly membership and in return they get benefits of being in the club and also the discount benefits thats all.

I know a lot of people won`t agree with me but somethings you just can not get for free.
There are however a lot of suitable posts on this site which could be turned into guides, but its just getting somebody to write them which I am sure someone will get around to doing one day  :D

Back to the top

Dj Ev said

I helped somebody on 2 different occasions 3 years ago and saved them over ?45. Would it be rude of me to ask for a small fee? 8)

no feel free ive done work on peoples cars and charged them i did a 20vt conversion for ?500 i could have charged ?4000 but i didnt im nice like that :wink:

Back to the top

Dj Ev said

Did you pay for the website hosting for the stuff you said?

If that person bought a Haynes manual, would it be rude of the publishers to ask for payment for the book or would they simply say "have it for free"?

Its a different type of thing, its concise tech articles + interactive features, not forum posts.

If we're going to get into discussions on who's helped who the most on the forum, my 17,000 posts or so aren't ALL moaning, meaningless drivel!!! I've helped 1 or 2 people for free too.

Back to the top
i helped an old lady cross the road once 8)

Back to the top
As for the ?15 fee… I'm sure it's going to good use pushing the site forward with a new server etc.  I for one think this is good management to have cash to progress and put back into the club where needed.  On topic though and not to go off on a tangent… go to a vote if required.

My view is it's not in the clubs interest as it will set a president.  I hope the club can push the guides out next year and also that other like-minded people document and volunteer information to the site for free.  It's helped me in the past and I've always returned the help.  It's what made this site great in my eyes and I've made many good friends on here through simply sharing information.

Hopefully you can recoup your costs with another mk1 site willing to take the info on for the fee.  You obviously put work in so I genuinely mean it…. best of luck lads.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

As for the ?15 fee… I'm sure it's going to good use pushing the site forward with a new server etc.  I for one think this is good management to have cash to progress and put back into the club where needed.  On topic though and not to go off on a tangent… go to a vote if required.

My view is it's not in the clubs interest as it will set a president.  I hope the club can push the guides out next year and also that other like-minded people document and volunteer information to the site for free.  It's helped me in the past and I've always returned the help.  It's what made this site great in my eyes and I've made many good friends on here through simply sharing information.

Hopefully you can recoup your costs with another mk1 site willing to take the info on for the fee.  You obviously put work in so I genuinely mean it…. best of luck lads.

push guides out next year ?? it will never happen whats changed on the site in the 15 months or so you have been here ? 3 different chairmen wanting different things and not actually getting them done

sat here for a little under 5 years and its still the same but with different faces nothing changes that much  :wink:

Back to the top

paul_c said

If that person bought a Haynes manual, would it be rude of the publishers to ask for payment for the book or would they simply say "have it for free"?

haynes gathered the infomation with the sole intention of selling it on and making a bussiness, so what are you saying about fast golf……..

YOU vollenteraly gathered information to give it to the public for free.
you could have put it on here, but chose to make your own site, that you funded yourselves.
now you are finding that you are out of pocket a few quid and are trying to use this site to recoup your costs.

why can't you just stick to your original plan and give it for free. or just let the mk1oc evolve at it's own pace, afterall….i've never seen anyone complain about the lack of info on the site :dontknow:

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

paul_c said

haynes gathered the infomation with the sole intention of selling it on and making a bussiness, so what are you saying about fast golf……..

YOU vollenteraly gathered information to give it to the public for free.
you could have put it on here, but chose to make your own site, that you funded yourselves.
now you are finding that you are out of pocket a few quid and are trying to use this site to recoup your costs.

why can't you just stick to your original plan and give it for free. or just let the mk1oc evolve at it's own pace, afterall….i've never seen anyone complain about the lack of info on the site :dontknow:

thats because in the year you have been here fastgolf was operating  :wink: so people had the info

andy just needs to pm to negotiate all i said to him was it owes us ?170 didnt say thats what he has to pay :mrgreen:

Back to the top
It only sets a precedent because Andy decided to reveal the negotiations publically before they'd even started, rather than sort things out by PM etc.

Personally I believe, if it sets a precedent - so be it. From a detailed look at the accounts, and knowing that there's at least 2 other websites which offer similar info to this site, its pretty obvious the Mk1 Golf OC is a commercial car club and is unable to meet the criteria of a charitable or heritage organisation. With the ?8000 profit and the 30% reinvestment of club income into the club, the accounts tend to support this.

Another example is web management - I personally believe that this is perhaps one aspect where a paid, commercial relationship could actually benefit the club. ?15/hour is the going rate (well, technically its $20/hour). We've been lucky before in that Drew did it voluntarily, and we've been unlucky in that we've had periods of inconsistency with the role. If the club identifies the website as a critical part of its operation, then it should put the equivalent commitment to its upkeep.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.