Skip navigation

My first problem! :( update!!

Back to the top

My first problem! :( update!!

i will get on it this weekend. i change the filter and its 90% better! just to strip the rest down and get cleaning!  :roll:
it comes together really because it was very low on fuel when i got her, its sucked all the crud up when i drove it, and stired it up when i filled her up

Back to the top
today i started up and ran ok, it did want to die a few times. so i finished work started up and it just cuts out instant, so i tried drive it for it to "fart" along. so i changed the fuel fiter and blew the line back, after a second or two if fired up and i could walk away and leave it to idle on its own!!!!!!!!! :D  8)  but…….
driving home it starts dying again,only kept going with a foot full of gas, but now sounds like a old knackerd tractor!!! pulled up on my drive and the engine was racing again, so poped my bonnet flicked the accelerator on the carb and it settled down. if i put pressure on the accelerator on the carb to close it runs fine!
sounds like i have a leak around my carb!!??

Back to the top
Sounds like the choke is getting stuck to me, for whatever reason. Take the plugs out and have a see if they're all blackened up, could be a few things but choke/icing/poor running related problems are rife this time of year  :wink:

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
i will pop them out in the morning have a look.
i have only had the car since saturday and had enough of it all ready. i havnt had one drive in it that i have enjoyed.  :cry:

Back to the top
You will do it'll come… Once they're running sweet you'll know why you bought it.  :wink:

Mines been running like a dog all week, no real reason I can see for it to be running badly, as it was fine the week before, but I know once I get to the bottom of it I'll be back driving with a huge smile on my face :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Well! It all fell apart this morning!!! Had a job start her up but once it got going all was fine. About 2 miles into my trip I start loosing all power and the accerlerator done nothing. Pulled up and all was good, so I set off again, for about 50 yards and it done it again, this time I was kangarooing at 30mph for about 1/2 mile before it died! I left it for a few mins and it started before I limped to work, smells very hot!!!
Got it booked in a garage tomoro.
This might sound like a stupid question, but does it run on unleaded or 4*???

Back to the top
Simple answer is either, you may have to adjust the timing but it wont make any considerable difference if you don't.

Did you pul the plugs and have a look what they were telling you?

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Yeah, pulled the plugs and they were the normal grey/White colour. Forgot to add when I turn the car off now it runs on for a couple of seconds.

Back to the top
Then its probably the timing, if the plugs and normal looking.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
i will get the garage have a look and put a new belt on when there at it and let you know the outcome!

Back to the top
the out come from the garage!!!
the gasket between the carb and inlet manifold was leaking, the carb was full of crud and the fuel has water contamination!

Back to the top
nothing major then. good good.

Back to the top
i need wait until tuesday for the gasket kit though. ordered it last thing tonight and said the order wont go through untill monday. gutted

Back to the top
make sure they put a new inline fuel filter in it too!

Back to the top
Well had a bit of fun today! after the garage "fixed" my car i went to pick it up! all was fine for the half mile to my parents house. done a bit of work there and came to start the car. problems are back again! took the risk to get home and broke down. called the AA out this time straight to the problem! it is the auto choke!!!!!!

Back to the top
thats a fairly broad diagnosis. in what way is it the auto choke?

Back to the top
he took the choke off, moved something inside the carb that the coil spring moved, tied it up with a zip tie stop it moving, and it ran like a dream!  he said he had the exact problem on his corrado.

Back to the top
he had a corrado on carbs?

sounds like the enrichment tube is not placed right or the choke butterfly is acting up.

Back to the top
thats what he said to me! to be honest, think im just going get the new carb with manual choke. if it still plays up with that i might just do the classic fawlty towers moment and batter it with a tree branch!!!!!!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.