Skip navigation

The dreaded R word

Back to the top

The dreaded R word

Is redundancy still hitting the country?  One of my best mates who works in our company has just been made redundant along with loads of others in that department… they got told at 11:00Hrs… I'm absolutely gutted for him.  Is the whole country still going through this process… right before xmas as well !!!

Back to the top
wow i thought you ment relationship. or rust.

poor bloke. it is picking up. slowly.

Back to the top

novocaine said

wow i thought you ment relationship. or rust.

poor bloke. it is picking up. slowly.

Just wonder if he can get something else out there as I bet the pay off wont last long  :? .  Doesn't seem to be much about … pretty worrying!!

Back to the top
Still looming over me, we've managed to hold on for the last few months tho, got half the company left.

We're having our company moved to the USA.

I'm on for a good redundancy tho as been with them for 12 years.

I think i'll be gone early next year so at least I can get Xmas out of the way!!  :banghead:

More worried about what i'll do as another job tho, i'm a straight out of school into a job man, and worked up the company ladder!!  :?

Back to the top

Raul said

Still looming over me, we've managed to hold on for the last few months tho, got half the company left.

I think i'll be gone early next year so at least I can get Xmas out of the way!!  :banghead:

More worried about what i'll do as another job tho, i'm a straight out of school into a job man, and worked up the company ladder!!  :?

I hear you mate.  My mate has been with us for 10 years so should be able to cope for a year (just).  He's worked his way up to management but said he'll take anything at the min to get by… just not much out there and a lot of competition.  Worried myself to be honest.

Have you been looking what's around Raul?

Back to the top
i've been told today be prepared to soon have a 4day week or maybe even 3day….  :cry:  :cry:

Banner

Back to the top
I have been made redundant 3 times in 5 years. 4th time is
looming ahead, as we have just been taken over (the Logistics side).

Dibbler.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
seems like it's rife!!  :?

I thought we were recovering… we certainly aren't on the jobs side.

Back to the top
I was made redundant at the end of May and all I've been able to pick up since then is some part time work, and even that's not constant. There's very little out there to apply for and unfortunately my qualifications/experience is all in design and that seems to be where a lot of people have cut back.

Jobs that I would have been perfectly suited for and adequetly qualified for before the recession now get over 100 applicants so I'm not even getting close. Even getting some temp work is tricky.

I'm planning on winning the EuroMillions though, so it might be ok!

Back to the top
Its all a complete lie there was never a recession :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
companies are only obliged to pay 1 weeks wage for every year of service or a week and a half for the years over 45 years of age.
12 years equates to 12 weeks wage, wont last 12months with that unfortunately, unless the company has a more generous redundancy package.

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Raul said

I hear you mate.  My mate has been with us for 10 years so should be able to cope for a year (just).  He's worked his way up to management but said he'll take anything at the min to get by… just not much out there and a lot of competition.  Worried myself to be honest.

Have you been looking what's around Raul?

Not been looking at all tbh, i'm gonna spend the year that i can probably survive retraining in something new. Not even sure what to train in.

My bro has his own telecommunication company so may train in somethin along them lines and join him… If he'll have me!!  8O

Back to the top

SEAN1151 said

companies are only obliged to pay 1 weeks wage for every year of service or a week and a half for the years over 45 years of age.
12 years equates to 12 weeks wage, wont last 12months with that unfortunately, unless the company has a more generous redundancy package.

12 weeks wage, 4 month notice on top and opt out of them helping me to find a job and take cash equilvilent.

Plus if we sign the keep your mouth shut contract you get a very generous bonus.

The first wave of redundencies was more like a party at our place, it was if they'd all won the lottery!!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Ive had a few people email me looking for work. Most from middle managment looking for manual work. That must be horrendous having to seek work on a much lesser scale than you were on.

Back to the top

Raul said

SEAN1151 said

12 weeks wage, 4 month notice on top and opt out of them helping me to find a job and take cash equilvilent.

Plus if we sign the keep your mouth shut contract you get a very generous bonus.

The first wave of redundencies was more like a party at our place, it was if they'd all won the lottery!!  :mrgreen:

thats very generous. if you get a job quickly you`re laughing.
maybe a caribbean cruise before starting new job?

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

SEAN1151 said

The packages on offer last year and this year equate to a large sum… nowhere near your normal years pay obviously but you'd easily live off of it for a year if your on beans and toast for the first 6 months…. in that way the company is more than fair I'll say that for them.

Back to the top

SEAN1151 said

Raul said

SEAN1151 said

thats very generous. if you get a job quickly you`re laughing.
maybe a caribbean cruise before starting new job?

Its a possibility.

My other sensible plan would be clear my debt to zero my outgoings bar the mortgage and bills, then if i have to get a low paid job i have a better chance of survival!

But then when have i ever been sensible, bring on the palm trees and RUM!!!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
redundancy is the worst thing i've ever dealt with, but definitely made me harder working and more determined.

I went from clearing almost 3k a month to a hellish call centre for ?5 an hour and a bonus they made almost impossible to ever get, and then arnold clark for 3 months of below min wage and 60 hour weeks (final straw).

I've given self employment a bash, so hopeful that if i work hard for myself, I can use redundancy as an excuse for the best thing that ever happened to me.

Good luck to anyone out there facing hard times, keep on keeping on.

Peace.

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top
husband was made redundant and just finished his months notice on teh 28th of oct.  this is the first time since he started working at 18 that he's been out of work!  he's enjoying it so far.

i've been made redundant 3/4 times all well before the recession reared it's ugly head.  so as far as i'm concerned it's one of those things.  it's not so bad if you get a good redundancy package (i've never had one!).

does mean i have to get a pt job as a waitress or similar tho at the weekends.. still.. gets me out the house, jamie will be happy i'll be there less to steal the telly away from him.. he's getting well into his halo odst now  8O

fingers are crossed for him and other like him getting a new job soon tho.. not sure i want a househusband for long, he might get house proud and then where would i clean and fix my mk1 bits??

BEWARE KY05 UCO, blind and deaf white haired driver of red transit, avoid at all costs, he thinks running cars on to the verge is ok. i'm fine, car's fine, mood and make up not so good.

Back to the top
I got made redundant the other year and have never really recovered from it to be honest! There seems to be no such thing as a career any more unless you join the forces, or like office work!

I've worked doing various things but it always ends the same work dries up and you're out.

Thinking of re-training but even living at mum and dads I cant really afford another 2-3 yrs of college. and I'm not sure what i'd do anyway!

unemployment in lincolnshire is very high at the minute, in boston last week the guy at the jobcentre told me they had 160 jobs on file in the area, and at least 700 people signing on…

Jon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.