Skip navigation

Happy 5th Birthday!!

Back to the top

Happy 5th Birthday!!

The 28th October 2009 will be the 5th year of the Mk1 Golf Owners Club  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:

Here is the first post on this forum by founder Drew Wagar

drew said

Welcome to our website!

This is the home of the VW Golf Mk1 Owners Club, a club dedicated to the original Volkswagen Golf.

With the focus firmly on restoration, preservation and the classic side of the scene rather than the modification side covered elsewhere, this site will offer the best in advice, guides, history, club events and support for owners and enthusiasts of the original Golf.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Drew.

The Club started as the Campaign Register with a similar forum and before that it was a simple message board! Who else remembers that?

There have been high and low points through the years, the most memorable event for me was the 2004 AGM at Gaydon - the first real time a sizeable collection of Mk1s was brought together.

So time to reminisce and celebrate 5 years of some Mk1 Golf fans getting together to talk all things Type 15 and 17.

Banner

Back to the top
Nice one rajan! I was thinking about this the other day.

When I was doing research for the Golf+ article earlier this year I came across the message board by accident! I wondered what it was at first.

A 'Club History' is on my list of things to do over the winter detailing past Committee members, memorable events, awards at AGM etc. (I'm certainly NOT going to say which winter!!!  :wink: )

The 2004 event at Gaydon was excellent, if only a bit windy. The award table nearly blew over!!!

I was wondering how many cars from that event have now gone by the wayside through accidents, being broken up or even as failed restorations. There must be some.

There was a bronze B reg next to me in the cabby line up and it had just been sprayed (as I recall, but maybe not) and i think it belonged to 'shirlethegirl' or something like that - I've never seen it at any shows since then!!!

Dan

Back to the top
happy birthday  :dance:

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
:)   wow that has gone quick,  happy birthday to us …. where's our cake ??

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
Wow it's amazing how quick time goes I've been on here years, I must be old!

T :lol:

Back to the top
Happy Birthday M1OC :cheer:

Banner

Back to the top
Woo Hoo Happy birthday Mk1 Owners  :dance:  do a lil dance, make a lil dub, get down tonight  :dance:

Back to the top
cricky time passes quickly

Back to the top
I was on the Campaign Register and it seems a long time ago now but somehow  the first meeting at Gaydon seems like yesterday.
What really impresses me is that it's evolved into such an a brilliant example of a web based club. I've been in a couple of others and they're nowhere near as good.
I've had loads of benefits - serious info and fun - so thanks to all those who do the work and all the contributors

Back to the top
wow make the old members feel really old.

still onwards and upwards.

Back to the top
Happy Birthday to us!!!

:cheer:

Back to the top
Happy Birthday

Would it be an idea to get this mentioned on some advertising at the NEC, just a thought, surly it is something that the club should be very proud of.

:cheer:  I've got my husband back :cheer:

Back to the top

MrsLawsy said

Happy Birthday

Would it be an idea to get this mentioned on some advertising at the NEC, just a thought, surly it is something that the club should be very proud of.

I dunno really, it's great and all that but five years makes us sound young, not old,. Worth a mention though but how and what?

T

Back to the top
Happy Birthday Its great to think how it has grown and morphed into the club we see today, so i say Thank you Drew for giving birth to this club.

wonder if he's now in the MX5 club :lol:

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
Got us a cake, who's bringing the vol-au-vents??

:dance:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
is that bertus blue?

Back to the top
It's a cake!!!!!  :wink:

:lol:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
Wow Happy birthday to us all for 5 great years, it will be a teenager before you know it and then burbing, learning to drive and then off to Uni. :dontknow:

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US,
WE DON'T DRIVE A BUS,
WE DRIVE A MK1 GOLF,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US  :D

HIP HIP . . . . . . .

Back to the top
Awesome stuff, this is by far an away the best club out there. happy birthday mk1 O.C :D

1991 Diamond silver 1800 16v Corrado 'Betty'

Gone, but not forgotten;

1985 Lemon yellow Polo coupe S

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1983 Diamond silver Golf GX

1981 Mars red Golf GTI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.