Skip navigation

Raffles Inari Silver S1 Rebuild **2.0 16v**

Back to the top

Raffles Inari Silver S1 Rebuild **2.0 16v**

I was looking around on the net yesterday for some inspiration to get myself motavated on this project and i had the luck to fall across some pics from one of the old owners on ED38 so i thought i would share my findings.

Before any work was started and looking a bit grotty

Once the work was begun

After the new paint in 2007

And i also found a vid on the previous owners photobucket
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/rajg/?action=view&current=MOV02095.flv

This is the only time i have ever seen it running.

All credit to Raj off ED38 for the pics and the video.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Hate to say this mike but there are 2 shades of inari.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
I know but somethings better than nothing.

Ive got a swirly scratch on my NS rear corner and everytime i walk past it it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. And also where a previous owner put stickyback plastic bathroom chrome trim on and it lifted the paint when i removed it. Dumbass!!

Its only a temp fix tho as once ive put the Abf in and i can afford it its gonna get a blow over cos the bay and new front panel need doing anyway. Im gonna run both black for the while but i wont be happy till its all the same colour.

Back to the top
Nice mate. Dont think ive ever seen this thread before.
I have a favour to ask aswell. Will PM you

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
I got a big leap forward today and im so chuffed but first i had a mini disaster.
Lukeybabes had asked me to check where some of the sensors belong on the ABF so i had to pop off the dizzy and snapped off the casted base.

Thankfully Luke has another one so it wont be hard to replace.

Then he got to work with his mig and welded on my mounts in the right place ready for the 16v.

I was so happy but the best was yet to come.

It looks so cool to finally have a face and im loving the black so im gonna roll with it for a while. The funny thing is that all the time this car was in my drive no one ever mentioned it but as soon as the front panel went on and it looked like a golf i had all kinds of people asking about it.

Not all went according to plan. A jumping spark caused my dust sheet to catch fire putting a few big holes in it.

The worst bit was the chrome trim around the windscreen but im hoping i can buff it out somehow.

But all is well and good. Now the mounts are on i can really get going with the transplant. Luke also helped me push the doner car into my drive so i can get to work stripping the lump out.

Lukes a top guy and i really wanna give him a big public shout out cos he is a credit to the scene.

Watch this space

Back to the top
Lol Thanks for the big me up!

I did it for the doughnuts! lol

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Nice looking work!

Back to the top
Ive spent the past few days stripping off the front end of the doner car and ive taken off the airbox, inlet manifold and the fuel rail. Ive also ripped off the rad and im gonna start draining all the oil ect out in the next few days.

Im not sure if im spossed to be doing this in any order so if there is an order to the disassembling then someone give me a heads up.

Also im looking at nicking the brakes and possibly the servo depending if i get a pedal box or just redrill the bulkhead.

Not the best pics in the world but you can just make out the twist on the passenger side frame from the wack it got getting it home. Its mullered.

Back to the top
I spent a bit of time disconnecting the loom from the fusebox today so i could get the ecu and wiring away from the car. I got fed up with the fiddly Toledo dash so i lost my temper and started tearing it out.

Finaly once it was out i was astonished at the amount of wires that make the loom up. I layed it out and its longer than the golf itself.

There is so much of the loom that wont be needed but im at a loss as to where to start stripping it.

Also in the process of taking out the loom i had to remove the servo and im now wondering if i can use it or not.
The golf was originly a 1.3 and the bulkhead was smoothed off as the old owner wanted a pedalbox but as for me i dont know what im doing about the brakes.
I dont mind cutting the bulkhead to use the servo but am i making more work than i need just to avoid paying for a pedalbox??  
I dont know if it will even fit in there with the ABF.
I took a few pics any way cos it seems in good nick just a little rusty on the shell.

Would this be any good to me??

Back to the top
Its been a real long time since i done anything on the car but today i got the spray cans out to go over the bay. The front panel still needs another coat but im very happy with the results.

Popped the wings and bonnet on so i could see how its gonna look till i can get the whole car sprayed (minus the grill lights ect) and in all honesty i think it looks good. Also ive put the chrome mirrors on that i acquired and i reckon its gonna look hot once the chrome bumpers and grill trim are fitted.

Ive still got a lot to do but ive got the conversion mounts and im buying the rubbers next week so hopefully im gonna be able to drop the lump in soon so i can get rid of the bloody doner car.

Back to the top
Ive got a bit carried away in the past two days cos i wanted to give her a face so i sprayed the grill and popped that on with the head lights and i also got my chrome bumpers out and stuck them on too.

When the car was delivered it had some crappy cheap chrome bathroom trim glued down the swage so i attempted to get that off but it was a right bugger. Pulling it off has torn the paint right off the car in parts so im well peeved. Im gonna get it painted one day but still its very annoying. Anyway i got some clips and put a spare bit of trim on till i can afford the chrome trim from CQ,s.

Its gonna be a pain taking bits off when i get the engine out of the doner and drop that in but its sooooo nice seeing it looking like a car again.

Lemmie know what you think.

Back to the top
Looks really good, going to fly with that engine in

Back to the top
Looks good!

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Do you know where that kind of rear end exist? I found one with the same rearbody with the extra line or edge on it, but it was from East Germany.. ? Do you know anything about that kind of bodytype?

EDIT: My bad  :banghead: I haven't noticed the line before, sorry :p
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.