Skip navigation

Plasticfantastic's project corner. (pic heavy)

Back to the top

Plasticfantastic's project corner. (pic heavy)

excellent job mate, how you cutting the rot out on the panels ?? your edges seem perfect straight lines,  :wink:

Back to the top
Cheers for the comments!

i use a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a 1mm cutting disk to do all my cutting, i also use it to do most of my grinding / metal finishing.

cheers

Back to the top
Hi all,

Well a busy morning has now left me with my 3rd 50 pound caddy :music:

Another local one, one i actually saw the day i picked up my white one, leaving my number with him at the time incase he wanted to sell. yesterday afternoon he turned up outside my house and asked if i was still interested as it had just failed the mot.  So this morning i went over to have a closer look and decided it was definately worth a 50 pound gamble, so far it seems it :thumbs_up

the 3 mile drive home was interesting………….she needs a little love! i'll let a few pics do the talking……….

She's no show queen, but hopefully with a little work i may be able to get an mot on her and she'll be my winter ride, i have 1 week left of mot on the mk2.

so let see what i can do in a week?!(bang)

Comments appreciated……….

cheers

Back to the top
Excellent work! I hope to do simular jobs when I have the space.. :D

Mk1 Cab:
Mk6 GT TDi

Back to the top
Hi all,

Just got back from the MOT station, good news…………. well nearly!

she needs,

headlights straightening,
2 steering rack gaitors,
2 brake light bulbs,
1 rear light
exhaust needs attention

and thats about it! and i couldn't see any rust/rot underneath while it was over the pit so im dead chuffed!8D

cheers for the comments

Back to the top
Nice find!, keep us posted, I love threads like this :P

Dib

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
Hi all,

A few more pics for you all of how she was looking as of the end of today…………

So far this patch along the bulkhead seems to be the worst of it, along with the b pillars. The brown on the floorpans is soil and mud, i cant see a single hole in the floorpans, footwells or inner sill's (so far!). I cant seem to find any previous repairs or bodges, or serious rot on the underside. Both sill's seem straight and true.

So between now and moday i plan to prep her for MOTalong with hopefully welding up the bulkhead and b pillars. Then once she is on the road im sure her apearence (sp?) will start to change! Rubbing down the red oxide back to white might be the first step?!………

Having this as a daily now gives me extra time to sort my 16v RWD caddy :music:

Comments appreciated

Cheers

Back to the top
nice find mate.
looks like a good solid caddy.
you've got quite a collection starting there :y:

Back to the top
Hi all,

So far over the last couple of days i have managed to tick a few jobs off the list. i have an mot booked for last thing tomorrow afternoon so i have till then to finish the rest off!(bang)

Only a ghetto repair on the bulkhead for now as i dont have time to weld it, but im pretty sure it will last long enough. She will be comming off the road for a resto once the 16v rwd one is finished.

plus a little taste of 1 of the cosmetic changes!

i'll post more later once i have ticked off a few more jobs.

comments appreciated

cheers

Back to the top
Hi all,

a few pics for you all of how im getting on with getting my caddy on the road. still no mot, but she's booked in for tuesday, and im working my way through the jobs, so im pretty sure she'll be done by then!

this morning i finished the axle flip and seeing as the sun came out it was an ideal time to roll her out side to see how she is looking, so far im pretty happy! While i was flipping the axle i got carried away with the grinder and welder and decided i needed more camber…………….

I also removed the rear bubble window from the white caddy, being in a hedge for 10 years had stopped alot of the UV getting to it so its not too yellow :thumbs_up

I still have a bit todo over the next few days, but at just over a weeks work, and still only owing me 50 pounds im a happy :music:

comments appreciated

cheers

Back to the top
Hi all,

Just a few more from today…………

Rear window and seal cleaned and fitted, not a perfect window but not too bad

Before fitting the window i filled the seal with plastic and rubber grease, made fitting very easy and hopefully should stop any water tracking around the seal.

Mirrors cleaned and fitted, drivers door handle replaced

Steering wheels boss finished and fitted, more dash switches fixed/cleaned/fitted.

wheel still needs a quick polish and the dash needs another quick clean now the rear window is in.

Really happy with the wheel as it's just been hanging in the workskop for years, it's the same diameter as the original caddy one and the boss puts it in the same position as the original :thumbs_up. i used an old 90 spec golf wheel and cut the back out of it to use the spline and the horn slide ring/indicator cancel arm, so it all works as it should :music:

All comments appreciated

Cheers

Back to the top
Hi all,

Well im finally getting there with her now, it's taken me longer than i hoped, but i have done a few more jobs than i originally planned. Im booked in for an mot at 12 tomorrow, and i onlly have to bleed the brakes and fit some seats

Here's a few pics from today….

On my way back out to finish up the front bumper, fit the final few pieces of door furnature and give the cab its final clean, oh and get the mountain of tools out of the bed! Haven't done the sums on what she's cost me yet but it's definately under £100!:D
Comments appreciated

Cheers

Back to the top
Hi all,

Well she's finally ready for mot, after replacing the master cylinder and the bleed nipples in the front calipers it now stops alot better than it used to. Im really chuffed with my new winter ride, but she still drives a little like a farmers car, sloppy gearchange and heavy clutch are the next jobs to sort out, but i'll get a few miles on her first,

And one final one of my £150 trio of caddy's……

let me know what you all think…

cheers

Back to the top
Hi all,

Not much of an update, been busy tidying the workshop, and cruising around in the caddy 8D

But i thought i would share a few pics of the goodies i have picked up lately for the rwd project. Only cosmetic goodies but sometimes i get sucked in by shiney things…..

Chrome front window surrounds, with rubbers and clips all in great condition.

Genuine chrome door handles.

And this morning i scored a free pair of chrome bullet mirrors for free :music:

Also got a chrome windscreen insert, and a set of wheels to play with, need to work out adaptors/offset.

Comments appreciated

Cheers

Back to the top
well done with MOT.
what did you use on the front bumper?

Back to the top
Interior looks very tidy mate.

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments buddy!

i used Autoglym plastic and rubber cleaner, wicked stuff. i used it to clean everything from bumpers to seals and all the dash and interior parts.

cheers

Back to the top
Great work dude, love seeing you dont need big bucks to have cool fun cars.  Anyhow, that oh so pretty steering wheel u have, was it from a Triumph?  and was it a direct fit?  

Cheers

Richy

Back to the top
Great stuff mate, looking good love what you're doing with this at the moment! keep up the good work!!! :D  8)

Back to the top
Brilliant work!, keep it up. Wheel looks good too, are the seats
from a MK3 GTi?.

cheers

Dibbler.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.