Skip navigation

"It" 1983 1.3 driver to KR 16v

Back to the top

"It" 1983 1.3 driver to KR 16v

Well it's about time I had a MK1. It's the VW I've always wanted and having fettled about with a MK3 VR6 and a 16v Corrado it's time to seriously jump in at the deep end…… and boy have I done that!!!!

My mate phil (aka cubed) has massively inspired me to do this build. He is on the verge of completing his 16v conversion project and must say it's ace!! Even better now I've heard it running!!!!! EDIT: IT IS NOW ON THE ROAD FULLY WORKING!

This will be a seriously long project due to money and time but that was my plan anyway so I'm in no rush.

Here's the story:
"It" arrived at half seven in the morning of the day I moved into my new house, not the best timing!! It rolled off the trailer bouncing along on the 17" rear wheels that the previous owner had botched onto the stub axles with washers and a split pin.

A coulple more rotations and yep…… snap goes the split pin and out fall the washers. With the nearside rear wheel having a camber of -45 degrees this is the point where i take over the arrival of my new project and tell the 2 and half guys that were pushing it to FUCK OFF!!

We signed the papers and off they went. So onto my first job: get it rolling.

I needed a set of  steelies all the same size which my girlfriends MK3 1.4 shed provided. The shed now sports a lovely set of estorils!!

With the botching that went on whilst the previous owner was trying to attach the rear wheels the threads on the stub axles were completely fucked. So for a temporary fix I've used a set of MK2 stubs, discs, bearings and nuts which is doing the job nicely whilst I work on the car. I pushed it into my garage and shut the doors wondering what the fuck I have done!!!!

Next up: suspension.
"It" came with half a set of Spax RSX coilovers… yes half a set. The rears were stolen by someone whilst the car was in "care" of it's previous owner. Long story and I really cant be arsed typing it. Luckily my mate phil (aka cubed on here) was fitting his MK1 with coilovers so he's kindly lent me his front and rear shocks and springs for now.

I've stripped the fronts of the RSX's down ready for a tasty paint job and will be doing the same with the rears when they arrive.

Immediate jobs: Sort through, test and label wiring, weld offside mount in place for 16v KR engine, get rid of the chav rear lights and sit and think carefully about spraying it '75 miami blue. Oh and FIND A DONOR CAR!!!!!!

My main area of thought is the hole in the roof which used to have an aftermarket glass sunroof in it. Many of you will say my project is scrap at the first hurdle but I'm not a believer in things like that. I'm thinking a rag top will be my best option and I think they're pretty cool!!! :) . Maybe a polo open air one or a fiat chinkyshitbox one.

anyway thats it for now. Here are some pics of the car in the state it arrived to me. I'll update soon. Dutch.

Back to the top
eh up dude! nice to see the old girl on a thread!
I reckon your new idea on the sunroof might be a winner..its just a case of patience when we're welding..
75 miami blue eh?? I'l have to have a look for that.
Looking forward to seeing you progress buddy, I'm always on hand if you need a lift.

Back to the top
At least it's not a rust heap even if other bits have been bodged they're easier to sort out.

If I ever had to sort out the roof I'd pretty much decided on a carbon fibre skin.

If you mean full length rag top, which I presume you do, then won't you need to brace everything to keep the rigidity? If so would you be able to do that so it wouldn't look a mess. Not certain, just a thought.

Marc

Back to the top
Hi. Ragtops come with frames that basically act as a flange for the rag to fit to. These frames are incredibly rigid and act as a bracing in themselves.

Carbon fibre is a nice idea.

Any ideas as to who would do it?

Back to the top
that car has potential it looks lovely matey. i have a florida blue mk1 which is like a baby blue which i love. quite a rare colour also i think.

or are you talking about peugeot miami blu?? which is like a dark but bright! metallic blue??

the colour it is looks pretty good i think?

Back to the top
i know the car - used to belong to a local lad. the coilovers were stolen when it was parked on his drive - the same scrotes had my coilovers, wheels and all my tools out of my unit around the same time as well.

where are you based? just wondered if the car was still local.

looking forward to seeing what you do with it - always liked the colour.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
jonwelsh - thanks. no themiami colour is a vw colour. As below. I know the one you mean. I used to have a 205 gti in pug miami blue, ace colour!!!! I think the colour it is in is a bit chav. If it was a bit more of a baby blue then it would be fine

mk1 john - I cant believe anyone would do it. i was in astonishment when he told me!! They need sorting out them boys. It's obviously someone who is into dubs. cunts. Well i'm going down a different route to the original owner. he was gonna track car it i think. with a rollcage and a 1.8T.

Back to the top
Mate i gota say that look well solid, what are your plans for it?

Back to the top
Cheers jeevs.

Plans are a 16v KR on bike carbs, corrado interior with recovered mk1 dash, spax coilovers, chrome bumpers, custom rag top roof, a few creature comforts like DAB & aircon maybe, as for the wheels I'm not sure yet.

As for the engine rebuild if funds permit then it will be rebored with decent pistons, fettled head, lightened crank etc. etc.

I just want to build a solid, clean tidy car - nothing too elaborate just someting that works well!!!

Back to the top
found another little job that needs sorting. The underseal around the front of the car is very tacky. I've been told it's some cheap stuff called shutz.

So it all needs scraping off and re-doing. Any one any suggestions as what to use?
Someone suggested stonechip to be sprayed on with a shutz gun.

Oh and on the roof it looks like a carbon fibre skin may be the way forward  :D

dependant on whether i need a roll cage or not?

Back to the top
well here is the thread regarding the carbon roof skin:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71430&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Looks like that will be my option. So instantly the project takes a different direction!!!  :?

I'm thinking more carbon goodies now, found some rather tasty arch spats and bumpers

MK1 GOLF = MONEY PIT

Back to the top
Lovely looking shell but arn't you missing an engine mount?? :dontknow:

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top

re

nice colour,  heres mine painted 7 years ago

Back to the top
collo16v - yeah just waiting to get the guy down to weld it in place - any ideas when that'll be phil? Cant get hold of you on your mobile.

bigdub - looking good mate!!!! Wasn't too sure on the colour but i may be warming to it.

Back to the top
not sure yet bud, i'l get on the phone to him this week. could give him a ring on thursday if you're round?

Back to the top
cheers bud. yeah i should be round i think. didn't do my foreiner today though!! Didn't get up till 3 (lazy bastard!!!).

Back to the top
Mate i'm loving the idea of a carbon fibre roof…what can i say lol it'd look great with the colour of your car no doubt……

Back to the top

Re: re

bigdub said

nice colour,  heres mine painted 7 years ago

Now that's different!

T

Back to the top
Nice touch!  :D

Mk1 Cab:
Mk6 GT TDi

Back to the top
what touch mate i like feed back . i have tried lots of stiles over the years  :)  any one got any idea on origins offbody kits
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.