Skip navigation

MK1 DOOR CAPPINGS

Back to the top

MK1 DOOR CAPPINGS

Hi Guys,

Jonny Newton here from Newton Commercial. We are going to manufacture Mk1 door cappings. We have several original cappings for the 3 door and cabrio, however I need you help:

1. In your opinion, what will be the most popular, 3 dr or cabrio in UK/Europe.
  2. I need a pair of mk1 3 door doors so we can take a fibre glass splash. Anyone in the East of England or south East that has a pr? We can then pop around and pick up. These are doors must not be  mint or painted as we will use fibre glass and we need to clean up before sending back, so a pair that are due to be sprayed etc at some point. Free trim and stuff for this gesture. We can drop off door within a few weeks.

The tooling is going to cost 000's per door so any advice, please let me know.

Cheers
Jonny

Back to the top
Can you explain a bit more about cappings please I'm not sure what you mean.  Thanks,

James

Back to the top
Jonny

as said before mate -dont forget the 5dr models..

As to the door cappings, they were not on the GTI 3dr models as they just had exposed metal, they were mainly fitted to the cabrios - so they would be a better and more viable option if you looking for just one route to take -
BUT - they were also fitted to many 5drs and they are all in need of them -  pretty much the same, just shorter..

5dr fronts as you know also do Caddy's so a ready made market there - I still have that pr of rear door cards to send you for tooling if still interested..

Please consider the 5dr models as well, as these cars are now getting more and more popular…

Steve

Back to the top
If you mean those notoriously cracked door caps, then I would definitely be buying a set in lushious brown  :wink:  for a cabriolet please!!!

mebbe set up a poll to see which would be most popular if you're limited to producing just one type??

1987 Mk1 Golf Clipper Cab - SOLD
1984 Citroen Acadiane Mixte
1968 Mk3 Triumph Spitfire
1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Can you explain a bit more about cappings please I'm not sure what you mean.  Thanks,

James

extra bit of trim mainly fitted to cabby' n 5 dr's etc - it goes across the top of the door cards between them and the windows covering the metal..

I know loads of 5 dr and cabby owners who all want/NEED them

not the best picture, but here's the interior shot of my 5 dr you can see them just at the tops of the doors..

i need 3 from all 4 of mine

Jonny - also note the rear carpet shape, any chance of adding this to available options too??
If need be I can come to you one day inthis 5dr and you take all the molds you need in exchange for a set..  :wink:  :wink:

Back to the top
I have a pair of 3 door cabrio doors that you can come and collect if you wish.

Post code for collection is HP18 0RD

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Ahhhhh…. never really noticed them before … sounds like a popular product two people interested already and only posted a little while ago :wink: .  Good luck  :lol:

Back to the top
cheers for the feedback guys. I will PM you later.

I hear ya Steve, just send me the rear cards to work on.

We can only do the cappings in one colour think, black will be the colour i reckon.

Thanks for the cabrio doors offer, i will PM ya later.

Thanks for photos lawsy, yep thats spot on. I will PM ya later.

Good idea on the poll

Jonny

Back to the top
I know blue is not the most "popular" colour, but you do supply
(and I have purchased) a blue carpet, so its blue cabrio ones
all the way for me please :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Dibbler.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top

Newton said

We can only do the cappings in one colour think, black will be the colour i reckon.

I'd vote for brown myself -

most were either blue, black or Brown..

I think blue cars could gert away with black, but in the red/brown/gold etc we have brown everythings so black wouldnt work..

Jonny - looking forward to the pm - will get the door cards sorted and posted out soon enough

Back to the top
Black trims all the way baby!

They're on my shopping list, so if you're looking to start manufacturing replacements thatw ould be great!  I have ablue interior with black trims and it looks fine.  No clashes or anything :)

I notice on mine they are slightly padded behind the leatherette.  What material were you thinkig of using?

Will keep my eyes peeled for the new products.

Back to the top
how much would it inflate the price by having them available in various colours?

I think a lot of people will want them in brown and black etc…

my caps are cracked, and looking inside they are all made of one material, ie: no vinyl cover, just moulded

would it be possible to create a version that could be covered in different coloured vinyls sold with a template for the cover? That way giving people the opportunity to recover in whatever colour they wanted?

or use a material that would take paint if that's feasible?

I don't know, think i'm getting door cap fever… :oops:

1987 Mk1 Golf Clipper Cab - SOLD
1984 Citroen Acadiane Mixte
1968 Mk3 Triumph Spitfire
1977 Saab 96 V4
1987 Citroen 2cv

Back to the top
Ironically just before reading this thread, I just sent a query asking about Newtons support for 4/5 door cars via their website.

I note that they sell a 4/5 door roof lining in white which I would like to purchase in future. But I would also like to buy a 4/5 door carpet in blue.

My door cappings are also blue, I have two sets, all cracked, which I might try to repair myself somehow. As somebody suggested, I could probably get away with black.

I think now is the time for Newton to consider more support for 5 door cars.

Back to the top

Malcolm said

Ironically just before reading this thread, I just sent a query asking about Newtons support for 4/5 door cars via their website.

I note that they sell a 4/5 door roof lining in white which I would like to purchase in future. But I would also like to buy a 4/5 door carpet in blue.

My door cappings are also blue, I have two sets, all cracked, which I might try to repair myself somehow. As somebody suggested, I could probably get away with black.

I think now is the time for Newton to consider more support for 5 door cars.

yes malcolm

I've been sending Jonny messages for a while, they cater for some 5dr fronts as they are the same as the caddy so thats fine - just the rear door cards - I've now got a set to send off for template to newton - will send soon - so if they can stretch to doing the rear 5dr carpets and door cappings we'll all be happy more door owners

Back to the top
i need a 5 door to come to the factory so we can look at the carpet layout.

If anyone can come to the factory in suffolk for the day and we can see if it is viable.

We tend to do development over from now until Feb, so if anyone wants to come, drop me a mail.

Back to the top

Newton said

i need a 5 door to come to the factory so we can look at the carpet layout.

If anyone can come to the factory in suffolk for the day and we can see if it is viable.

We tend to do development over from now until Feb, so if anyone wants to come, drop me a mail.

Whats the postoce of the factory mate - if not too far I could come over in mine, bring door cards and look at door cappings too - how long would you need it for and how messy would it get (could do with carpet and door cappings anyway)..

Back to the top
ip164ll we in Leiston Suffolk

drop me a pm

Back to the top
just looked it up, 160 miles each way from me, but as you know I've been to get this sorted so am prepared to travel accross and get soem things for the more doors moving forward..

Plus I've wanted a snoop round newton towers…

Back to the top
The issue is proliferation.

There are 3 spec carpets (base, flocked, twisted), in over 10 colours, with 5 shapes (3/5 door base/luxury plus cabrio), in LHD and RHD. That multiplies up to 300 different carpets!

Same with door panels, 3 designs, 5 trim levels (base no armrest, luxury with armrest horizontal/angled and luxury with armrest horizontal/angled and carpet to bottom), with/without mirror adjustment, 3 shapes (3/5 door, cabrio) in over 10 colours. That multiplies up to 900 different door panels!

Not easy to satisfy everybody :lol: . Door cappings should be a lot easier!

Banner

Back to the top

Jimmeney said

would it be possible to create a version that could be covered in different coloured vinyls sold with a template for the cover? That way giving people the opportunity to recover in whatever colour they wanted?

That sounds like a good idea to me :)  Would it be worth providing the base plastic trim in Black, that could easily be covered to suit the different trims or would sit just as well on its own?

I know the originals aren't covered, but this is a repalcement item.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.