Skip navigation

Is Power steering fitted as standard? 89 Clipper

Back to the top

Is Power steering fitted as standard? 89 Clipper

Madferret said

Did you try the cambelt tensioner?

he's run the car without the fanbelt on. and there is no noise. so has eliminated the cambelt system…….keep up!

Back to the top
Sorry  :cry:

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Really appriciate all the advice guys.

I havent had time to get in and have a look yet so I still dont know if its a simple fix or a new pump needed. Xmas coming up, two kids and work there just dosent seem to be enough time in a day to do owt :cry:  :lol:

Been looking on ebay at second hand power steering pumps dya reckon its worth a punt at grabbing a cheap used one just in case it turns out to be the power steering pump?

I only manage to come across the mk2 gti 16v versions though, would that fit mine? i'm just wondering if there were that many variations on such early models. They look similar but until I actualy take mine off I wouldnt know for sure.

decisions decisions :)

thanks

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

Madferret said

he's run the car without the fanbelt on. and there is no noise. so has eliminated the cambelt system…….keep up!

That don't make sense, the engine must be run with the cambelt on. The fan belt (which doesn't drive a fan…..only the alternator and water pump) can be removed for diagnostic purposes. (And the PS belt if PS is fitted).

Back to the top

mark78 said

Really appriciate all the advice guys.

I havent had time to get in and have a look yet so I still dont know if its a simple fix or a new pump needed. Xmas coming up, two kids and work there just dosent seem to be enough time in a day to do owt :cry:  :lol:

Been looking on ebay at second hand power steering pumps dya reckon its worth a punt at grabbing a cheap used one just in case it turns out to be the power steering pump?

I only manage to come across the mk2 gti 16v versions though, would that fit mine? i'm just wondering if there were that many variations on such early models. They look similar but until I actualy take mine off I wouldnt know for sure.

decisions decisions :)

thanks

There's no way we can tell what kind of power steering pump your car has - as already stated, it was never a factory option for RHD but there's a few aftermarket alternates out there. I'd say there's a good chance an aftermarket kit uses a Mk2 Golf PS pump though. But could never be 100% (without a part number, that is).

Back to the top

paul_c said

whatalotafun said

Madferret said

That don't make sense, the engine must be run with the cambelt on. The fan belt (which doesn't drive a fan…..only the alternator and water pump) can be removed for diagnostic purposes. (And the PS belt if PS is fitted).

If he's removed the fanbelt, and the noise has gone away, then it's not the cambelt…

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
1993 Jeep Cherokee. 1985 Scimitar SS1
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top
Bit of an update.

Turns out the power steering pump was only replaced last year according to a garage receipt I got with the rest of the cars history, must admit I did think it looked quite new compared to other parts under the bonnet.

This has caused a bit of concern tbh because if the pump is on its way out and im 95% sure it is whats causing the whining (even though I havent checked to see if cedar's idea could be the problem yet) then why has this car gone through 2 in such a short space of time?

I'm seriously considering installing a manual rack and be done with it, that way I can get on with more pressing issues like getting the few small pangs and scratches sorted and a new set of alloys before next summer. :lol:

If I do install a manual rack then ill put the power steering setup on here for sale.

I've got 2 weeks off work mid January so with kids back at school/nursery after the holidays I might get a bit of time to start doing something rather than just looking at it every time I go into the garage for a fag.

Back to the top
if it was a pattern pump it could just be down to cheap parts, or perhaps its not liking the fluid you're using in the system? MK2 systems use bog std Dexron II ATF.

other thing it could be is eirther belt too tight, or out of line, causing strain on the bearings in the pump.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.