Skip navigation

Any servicemen/women members?

Back to the top

Any servicemen/women members?

thats the exact reverse of my time in germany, i was at JHQ first, then OS!

shame you had to move as there was an awesome vw breakers just over the border from JHQ, spent hours in there on rest days! lol

Edited to make sense!

Back to the top
Really??  I haven't heard about that - I'm trying to find parts for my car just now so if you could give me directions to it, that would be great.  Am looking for replacement driveshaft for my LHD Cabby - just had the gearbox replaced & now need to replace driveshafts too.  We're at JHQ just now, it's alright but I preferred Osnabruck
 :)

Leigh

Back to the top
its been 5 years since i left the army and closer to 7 since i was in MG,
but head for roermond just over the border, as you go past the check point its a turning on the right hand side.

hope that helps some!
The German gate staff at MG main gate were the ones who first told me about it, doubt they'll be the same guys now, but worth asking if they know of it and can give you better directions!

Back to the top
Thanks mate, I shall do that.  :)
Hopefully get my car sorted soon, it's been off the road for 4 months now - nothing but dramas.
Hubby's deploying soon too so need to get it fixed ASAP   :cry:

Back to the top
failing that the guys at the MT section generally know where all that kind of stuff is. or try the RMP's translator, they know EVERYTHING! lol

Back to the top
Read the whole thread, had to reply. I am an ex REME Aircraft Engineer serving with Army Aviation / Army Air Corps, left 15 years ago after 25 years, served mostly within Germany and UK, with detachments to Northern Ireland, Falklands, Belize, Cyprus, Canada and Kenya.

Breaks my heart with what is going on nowadays.

Been VW mad all my life, my intro thread:
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46498&highlight=garythegolfmy current threads
My current thread:
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46506&highlight=garythegolf

Back to the top
Hi Malolm, I just read what u posted, I am with 1AAC, still in germany, been in for 12 years there are probably some of the old fossils here that you would remember, we moved from soust (ignor spelling) about 10 years ago. we are the only Army Avn left out here, in Gutersloh.

Back to the top
Yep i'm a REME vehicle mechanic been in nearly 4 years based in bicester

currertly restoring a mk1 gti when my boss is ok with it

Back to the top
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I have been out  16 years now and push a computer most of the day. I get my engineering fix on my Mk1 now.

I still miss the aviation enironment, however hte lot for people still serving seems to be a bit restricted nowadays with fewer postings overseas available to far flung places and in Germany.

Of course the current conflict must be a worry, I would not like to be in now.

I still get my fix once a year at the Past and Present Member Dinner in the Mess at Middle Wallop.

Best regards

Back to the top
I'm in the Army, but serving at a RAF camp, My Cabs in the car club on axle stands at the mo, going through a long and unfortunately
Slow rebuild/restoration. and yep work just keeps getting in the way.

"what have I started?"

Back to the top
Hi Malcolm, I was at the founders lunch this year. I was mr Vice, as jim Mac hadnt got any 1 else, he pinged me after the comfort break. If you are there next year give me a shout before hand, and we can have a few beers in the scruffs bar.

Back to the top
I'm in the US Navy. I just got back from Iraq and I was at Camp Taji and B.I.A.P Baghdad (lots of international forces there including UK's finest) working with the US Army doing their job! Currently in Switzerland, Austria, and Germany on vacation (holiday) looking for Mk1 parts!

Back to the top
Hi All,

I'm in the RAF, an aircraft techie with almost 20 years under my belt. Worked mainly transport and surveillance fleet, but have done my stint on the show scene on the Red Arrows and Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (Lest we Forget). Currently working sneaky beaky's in Afghanistan as I type, whilst dodging the incoming rockets, what a way to make a living! I'm out in 2 years having turned down promotion to stay on the spanners. Love it, will miss it, but Warbirds await (hopefully).

Looking for a series1 passenger side under dash shelf and fittings.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.