Skip navigation

90's Mk1 Nostalgia Thread

Back to the top

90's Mk1 Nostalgia Thread

mk1motorsport said

All my Edition38 buddies have said they will dissown me if i build a replica as it was the car that started a string of mk1s for me! well 10 in a row to be exact.

Have all the components needed apart from the 8x17 TSW blades ( i know it has bbs in this pic but it did wear some blades), just lack of time as all i seem to do is build other people's mk1s.

Got any pic's of when it ran blades ? When it was featured in max power I am sure it was running azev a's with  white centre 's,but it was a long time ago and I could be wrong :)

Was another of my favourite mk1's from back then ,was amazed at the time how the front wings and bonnet had been extended to fit the rallye front ! ground breaking stuff !!!

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
I will need to scan the copy of Performance VW as thats when it ran Blades and used 15 BBS RS for drag racing due to running drag tyres.

I been spoke rite england since i were small childs.

Back to the top
This was my recreation of the mid nineties.

In its final guise it had 206bhp G60 engine, BBS RS splits 7's and 9's with a half leather Corrado interior sporting 16v clocks. Previous guise was 14' RH cups, polished Weichers cage, Carbon Sparco seats, harnesses and wheel, with a stripped interior. Engines were 1.8 8v, 1.9 16v on carbs, 1.9 16v injection, 8v turbotechnics, Nothelle G60.

I think I was actually progressive!!

Sold it because I realised I'd lost the plot, and my favourite car was a long since sold GTI Engineering 1.8 8v with a reworked head and fast road cam. Then started my search for another project all over again.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top

richievr said

mark83 said

Good thread

Anyone got any pic's of a red mk1 with stil auto sigma's,it also had a e30 bmw dash ,and IIRC a sportline interior.

It was my favourite mk1 of the time think it was featured with a blue mk1 which also had the bmw dash.

Wish I kept all my old vw mags :banghead:

somewhere!! i know both the guys who built those two cars, they are both local to me…
will try and find pics for you..

they were featured in max power in about 1996!!  8O

Got pictures of the above mentioned cars..Will dig them out if I canOne belonged to Simon Faires (not 100% sure of spelling),can't remember name of owner of red one ,but rightly pointed out,they both had BMW E30 dashes,sat low on 16" rims and were so fresh at the time.The paint finish on Simon's was like nothing seen before and won many shows it went to

Here's one of mine in our "Red Arrows " line up from 94..Brings back memories..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back to the top

mk1motorsport said

I can't belive you guys forgot the greatest Mk1 from the 90s (well in my eyes) JD Engineering 300bhp G60 with VW motorsport 6 speed dogbox

Jeroen"s infamous Mk1..Saw this in the flesh when i went to Baarlo,Holland in 94,absolute animal on the sprint,even though it was a short one,nothing could keep up with it.The engineering and detail at the time was unbelievable and he then went on to build other mad cars  a few of which made it other for Inters at Crowthorne.

Mk1 motorsport…You near to Sydenham Ind Est in Leamington?…

Back to the top

richievr said

anyone remember this too, whillst we are on a old timers theme??

OMG this is the mk1 that started it all off for me!

I remember back when I was about 17 or 18 1996'ish and working in a petrol station and I spotted this french gullwinged mk1 on the front cover of The Golf Mag, I think. And I can remember being absolutely stunned, I fell in love with it instantly :mrgreen:

Back to the top
I'd still drive it today!

Back to the top
This is the one that made me want the euro-look…

I was working towards it, but trends changed and practicality came into play too.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
^ That used to be one of my faves too, still have the mag too…

Jeroen' also used to rock Azev's:

Back to the top

mark83 said

Good thread

Anyone got any pic's of a red mk1 with stil auto sigma's,it also had a e30 bmw dash ,and IIRC a sportline interior.

It was my favourite mk1 of the time think it was featured with a blue mk1 which also had the bmw dash.

Wish I kept all my old vw mags :banghead:

Here you are Mark83…Raided some of my pics to upload a few from back in the day…The red one whose mate is Simon Faires and both of then had E30 dashes

Shot at 2011-12-16

Shot at 2011-12-16

Shot at 2011-12-16

A few more from 92

Shot at 2011-12-16

Shot at 2011-12-16

Shot at 2011-12-16

This is one of my favs and still would look fresh today

Shot at 2011-12-16

Now this is another of mine from 96..Wish i never sold the wheels.. :cry:

Shot at 2011-12-16

Got 9+ years of pics and would take ages to post up but will try and update…Enjoy 8)

Back to the top
Thanks jerry ,good to see some of the old pictures.I've not got any pic's from the trl days .This is a good thread for all us old timers!!

That orange one sure was ahead of it's time really liking it.

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
I have some from TRL, I'll scan them over Chrimbo and get them up… Really miss the TRL days, was a great drive over there, like a kid at Christmas…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.