Skip navigation

5 Days - 700 Miles

Back to the top

5 Days - 700 Miles

and not a glitch…

MrsLawsy and I took a 5 day short break down to cornwall, we decided to take the mk1 seeing as it has a fresh MOT and just been serviced..

So off we set - tried to avoid the motorways as much as possible and took the more scenic route on A roads..

We had a great time, the MK1, Bluey, behaved well, only 1 small murmour from him when he got a little hot and tickover went a btit funny, but soon righted himself..

700 miles covered, up n down the back roads around cornwall, no issues at all, the auto box sang lovely and returned on average around 33mpg so i'm quite happy with that….

so in 700 miles do you think we saw many mk1's - erm - nope

Only the 1 tintop and that was in Newquay - it was another 5dr GL as well
We saw 2 more Cabby's a Later clipper kitted in blue and an early small bumper one - both in devon..
And 2 Caddy's. 1 cool one again in newquay and one in use still as a work horse in Padstow full of fishermans stuff…

Just downloading the images from my camera now, bloody hundreds of them, will post up a selection of them soon..

Back to the top
Lol I was down in camelford this week. 452 mile round trip should have met for a brew!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

Lol I was down in camelford this week. 452 mile round trip should have met for a brew!

Went through there yesterday mate…

Back to the top
5 days … 1802 miles  :D no problems either   x2 (return)

Back to the top
I don't like to brag, because as soon as I do something will go wrong!  However,  last night I drove 280 miles straight without a break from Bristol to Middlesbrough without so much as a murmer.  So chuffed :)

Back to the top
..had 2 runs to Cornwall so far this year, once with the GTI and once with the Clipper auto, and going to Brixham next week (got to be the auto 'cos limited mileage on the GTI is a bit close), and each trip notches up over 1000 miles….and Cornwall/Devon is THE place to be with the roof down!!!!

The Clipper auto returned about 33 - same as you, and the auto boxis so smooth and so perfect for the roads there….

The last 'eco/green/boring' trip to Cornwall with the GTI did actually achieve an incredible 46 mpg (speedo reading) /  44 mpg (SatNav reading)…according to SatNav both speedos read 2 to 3 mph fast….
…didn't see many other Mk1's though…

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Was in brixham couple of weeks ago crabbing with my girls! Tho the weather was pants  :cry:

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
you lot sound like the fso polonez prima owners club  :wink:  its a vw they dont break down  :roll:   :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
ahem…glasgow to budapest..and back.

6000 miles in a month.

Not that I'm bragging :)

LOVE MY DUBYA!

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top
didnt expect this to turn into a brag fest - just saying I've been away for a few days in my mk1…. I enjoyed it, the car didnt let us down and that I migth put up some holiday snaps..

sometimes i do wonder…..

If you want to start a brag fest, then lets have a new topic shall we

who's done the most miles in one trip????

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
you guys crack me up i do 650 a week in the cabby just given it a rest after 3 months may even chage the oil lol

good old reliable vw engineering they aint all bad :lol:

Back to the top

Lawsy said

who's done the most miles in one trip????

One trip or one day? I used to have a T4 motorhome, one day I started from just south of Calais (camped overnight at the first free stop on the road), woke early and drove the entire day on autoroutes at 110-120km/h, with a couple of half hour stops. With no air conditioning, the van heated up when I stopped so it was cooler to simply drive with the windows open. I eventually arrived in Nice at around 10pm and crawled through city traffic the last hour, covering around 700 miles that one day. The whole trip was around 3500 miles in 2? weeks, went up and down the Alps, got to the middle of Italy then decided to turn round at 1000 miles from home (as the crow flies) and slowly wind my way up through the Alps, Switzerland, Germany then stopping for a few days in Paris.

Cheap diesel helps!

Back to the top
i have lots or respect for mk1 owners that actually do the miles instead of maybe going to the garage and polishing it every weekend

get em out and use use em guys  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
when I went to Action last weekend 320miles in one day the only thing that went wrong was i run out of road when i got home could have gone another 320 miles no problems :D

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

A5OPY said

when I went to Action last weekend 320miles in one day the only thing that went wrong was i run out of road when i got home could have gone another 320 miles no problems :D

:lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
I drive my 87 Cabby about 1,000 kms a week, and it runs like a champ.

1987 Cabriolet - Daily Driver

1989 Cabriolet - gone to crusher

1973 VW Bus - Sold

1997 Toyota Previa S/C All Wheel - Daily D

2007 Toyota FJ - Sold

2011 Toyota Venza

Back to the top
ok then, lets turn this into who drives the furthest..  As said earlier wasnt my intention - I was just saying what a good holiday i had had in mine…

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
my ex drives me mad sometimes!!!!!!

Back to the top

Lawsy said

ok then, lets turn this into who drives the furthest..  As said earlier wasnt my intention - I was just saying what a good holiday i had had in mine…

lawsy i think its a good thread and shows theres people out there like us who are not afraid to get there cars dirty and use them as intended when they were made

i like hearing people are doing silly long miles i think its great :wink:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

Lawsy said

lawsy i think its a good thread and shows theres people out there like us who are not afraid to get there cars dirty and use them as intended when they were made

i like hearing people are doing silly long miles i think its great :wink:

I agree mate

But as i said, if we want a thread, then lets have a thread about using them, this was my thread that I was going to add some pictures too about my holidayin my mk1 etc
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.