Skip navigation

16v conversion....progress

Back to the top

16v conversion....progress

Cant really see much other than the larger servo

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

i'm not sure how far adrian (lhasadreams) has got with his, i know he is using the scirocco manifold!

Couldn't find any info about Adrians 16v  :dontknow:

Did find this photo of Mattjones 16v with Scirroco manifold, the throttle body is longer, but he seems to be happy with it, so maybe he has stayed with 8v Servo & M/C……………

I'll keep looking  :wink:

Back to the top
It's not got that far yet!!
However it will be a 16vG60 running Digifant.
I have a BBM kit which includes a 90 deg elbow to give clearance for the throttle.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
I apologise Caddyrage, you were right about the 16v body being shorter  :clap:  :clap:

Tonight I went delving through the mountain of bits and found the 16v throttle body, here is a photo of the 8v T/B (on the left) and the 16v T/B (right) showing the 16v a good half inch shorter………

The next 2 photos show why I was using the 8v T/B, as the diaphram on the bottom of 16v T/B clashed with the dizzy body………….

8v T/B…….

16v T/B…….

With my brain now in gear and the right tool to undo the bracket holding the diaphram, I then fitted the 16v T/B……….

Very pleased to say, we now have the clearance from the master cylinder reservoir bottle, also note I'm happy to be back using the 16v servo and master cylinder  :cheer:

Back to the top
cool, I like it! I think thats definitely the tidiest way to do it. Bet your much happier with the 16v servo and mc.  :)

Can't wait to see more!

1992 Pearl Green Clipper Cab - 16v (9a block, KR head, GSXR600 Carbs) :)

Back to the top
Good progress mate… took time but the best of everything… result… keep the detail coming  :lol:

Back to the top
Now that the clearance issue is sorted, it is time to finish the brake pipework and fit the 16v servo, to do this you need to take the clevis from the 8v servo and fit it to the 16v as the pin sizes are different………

Firstly pull back the gaitor on the 16v servo, revealing locknut…….

Using spanner crack the locknut……..

With the locknut loose, spin off the 16v clevis, also do the same on the 8v servo….

Here's a photo of the 16v & 8v clevis side by side, as you can see the top one is the 16v clevis with a larger hole which is of no use, as you need to use the 8v's with the smaller hole to match the clevis pin from the 8v set up…….

The threaded rod on the 16v, is also too long so that needs the excess thread hacksawing off………..

Here's a tip, when cutting threaded bar, put a nut on the thread, so when you've finished cutting you just wind the nut off to clean up the thread  :wink:

Undo the 6 bolts holding the metering unit to the corrado's air filter box….

Same again to the 8v's metering head from it's air filter box…….

Put the 16v metering unit straight onto the 8v's air box and tighten it down……

Cant remember why I took this photo  :dontknow:

Dont forget to put the earth lead on the gearbox mounting before you put the air filter box back in situ  :wink:

Time to start putting the injectors and pipes back in, couldn't use the pipes from the corrado as they originally went to the O/S, so using the 8v's braided injector hoses….

Time to start looking for some bespoke hoses, as only 2 of the 8v's hoses line up comfortably so need at least 2 making up to suit, or get a set of them made………

Back to the top
make sure you wash your hands before bed sirgammarooney :wink:
looking good.
daz

Banner

Back to the top
Looking good fella  8)

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Christmas has come and gone, so back to tinkering with the mk1.

Haven't done as much as I promised myself, but any step forward is good at the moment, so here's some of the progress…….

Another little problem to be had is the removal of the power steering pump also takes away the ability to drive the water pump, as the pulley that lines up with the alternator free wheels on the water pump and it is the belt that runs the power steering that runs the water pump…….Think the photo below of a 16v engine with ancillaries (taken by Paul_C) shows you better what I'm trying to say…….

Anyhow, getting a pulley to line up with the alternator took a little time, but sorted eventually……

Here's a photo of the alternator pulley and the water pump using the DX's pulley……out of line…..

Then a shot of the right pulley for the job, for those curious, the part number is…027 121 031

Some photos of the set up at the moment, though it will move rapidly soon, mainly due to Mattjones selling me some important bits, will reveal more later in the week, but it will look a lot tidier  :wink: ……

Back to the top
should have gone Tdiesel  :wink:   8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Did my PL 16v swap in 25 hours mate, mon tues and weds before xmas  :mrgreen:

I used my original mk1 gti loom in the end and just added the AAV from the old 8v to work the idling rather than using the ISV set up and mk2 loom. There's a pic of how i mounted the AAV in my build thread.

If you plan on going the same way then i'll help you wire it up  :wink:

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
hi GAMMYGOLFGTI

nice job :clap:

could you tell me please from what model of Samba come your dizzy
I have find one but it is bolted and not clipped like yours

best regards
jacques

Back to the top
going well mate, i'm doing this conversion easter weekend if all goes well, but it seems the more i read these build threads the more i get confused lol mechanically i'm ok but the electrical side i can see myself struggling

keep up he good work mate

Back to the top

mAtt- said

going well mate, i'm doing this conversion easter weekend if all goes well, but it seems the more i read these build threads the more i get confused lol mechanically i'm ok but the electrical side i can see myself struggling

keep up he good work mate

I'm nearly done with the conversion, will update this thread as soon as I'm happy with it (bit of a rush to do it at the moment as I've got it in for MOT on Saturday morning  8O )

After reading numerous threads on the electrical and even purchasing an engine loom for it, I've gone back to using the original Mk1 golf Gti's engine loom and just rerouted the wires to their new positions (which isn't many). The wiring for the dizzy and Ignition control Unit and the ECU have their own stand alone loom, which is easy enough to plug in, I've run the engine and all seems to be going well, though I'm sure I'll probably get issues as time goes by, as I' dont have a thermo time switch to work things like the 5th injector etc, but I have a plan for that later in the year  :wink: .

Will update after the rush  8)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.