Skip navigation

16v conversion....progress

Back to the top

16v conversion....progress

robos_rado said

Hi, ive just started a KR conversion in mine and am after a manifold.  How have you found the hottunning version, fit and all that.  Also did it come with the straight connection down pipe.  

Keep the updates coming, i will be watching this, ive got all this to do on mine !!

Cheers

Ste

Had to drill 2 of the holes on the manifold to line up with studs on the head, then had to put a strap round the 2 downpipes to pull them together enough to slide on the 2 into 1 pipe. The end of the pipe doesn't match the centre pipe on the standard GTI exhaust system, so probably be making a trip to Powerflow to get the exhaust system finished off  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
:roll:
 :wink:

Banner

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

Had to drill 2 of the holes on the manifold to line up with studs on the head, then had to put a strap round the 2 downpipes to pull them together enough to slide on the 2 into 1 pipe. The end of the pipe doesn't match the centre pipe on the standard GTI exhaust system, so probably be making a trip to Powerflow to get the exhaust system finished off  :mrgreen:

8O All in all sounds like its a fairly pi$$ poor manifold !!

Thanks for the info i reckon i will go with the Stealth version :)

Back to the top
Good stuff mate. Done the 16v conversion into my truck and i'am now setting myself up to fit the engine in my golf while i do a resto on the truck.

Are you using early mk2 16v loom to wire the engine up?

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top

caddyrage said

I haven't crossed that bridge yet  8O ,  do you have a bit of info you can share? I have the ECU from the Corrado sat in the garage but no loom,  just haven't looked at the electric side of things so far, I'll be happy when I get to that stage  :wink:

Yesterday I got side tracked from the main job, Imoved away from the engine bay and was renewing the brake pipes front to back………need a couple of the plastic brake pipe clips that hold the pipes to the chassis next to the driveshaft and also a rubber that holds them underneath the car….going to enjoy looking through the autojumble at NEC, it's been a long time since i had to hunt for parts  :P  :P

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

caddyrage said

I haven't crossed that bridge yet  8O ,  do you have a bit of info you can share? I have the ECU from the Corrado sat in the garage but no loom,  just haven't looked at the electric side of things so far, I'll be happy when I get to that stage

I more or less did a how to build thread on 16v'ing a caddy, its helped others do the same conversion.

You need to find an engine loom from an early mk2 golf 16v(upto a G reg), it'll plug straight in on you original fuse panel(not the bullet type fuse panel found in the early mk1's).

Make sure you get all the wiring thats connected to the loom, some peeps forget about the ISV control module thats sits behind the centre console in the mk2. Have you got any loom from the corrado?.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
I haven't got any wiring loom from the Corrado, but thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of using the engine loom from a Mk2……I'll be off looking round the breakers yards when i get a moment  :wink:  :y:  :y:  :y:

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

I haven't got any wiring loom from the Corrado, but thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of using the engine loom from a Mk2……I'll be off looking round the breakers yards when i get a moment  :wink:  :y:  :y:  :y:

Make sure you get everything thats on the engine loom, you'll have to cut the fuel pump wire and the black wire at the fuse panel that goes to the ISV control box behind the centre console. Note the position the black goes in at the fuse panel for fitment into your original panel.

Rob the 67 blue relay in position 2 of the panel aswell as that works the fuel pump  :wink:

If you get stuck then i'll go through things step by step with ya

BTW, this is to run the original ISV set up on KR and 9A, not the mk1 gti idle set up.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Good news, I have a working camera once again  :mrgreen:

I'll try and update retrospectively……….

I dropped the 16v engine in, I left the original brake servo and master cylinder in place, so I could see for myself how close it is to the distributor, so here's a photo of the problem  8O …..

I had a long think about it and hey presto!!!! Problem solved……

Only kidding  :mrgreen:

I removed the original servo/mastercylinder and fitted one from the Corrado, giving me some more room…….

Then fitted a Talbot samba dizzy cap, as you can see the ports come out at 90 degree, giving enough room to drive a bus through

The 8v alternator, mounted with original 8v braket, clashes with the inlet manifold, so you need to use the 16v alternator bracket and alternator, which mounts on top of the water pump…..

Slowly starting to look like it belongs in there  :P ……..

New brake pipes underneath and in the engine bay, I'll straighten them up when i get hold of a couple of missing rubbers  :banghead: ……..

The exhaust is blingy……..

Though runs a little too close to the steering column for my liking, so some exhaust wrap or heat deflectors will be sourced……..

Still a lot of junk to fit, bet I still end up with a couple of boxes of spares  :lmao:

Poor Mk1, hasn't turned a wheel in anger for a couple of months  :cry:

Back to the top

16 v conversion

:lol: Nice one Warren love the dizzy cap.
takes me back.Keep up the good work :lol:

Mark one golf gti cabby - SOLD
Mark five golf gttdi sport
Toyota hiace van!!!!
Splitty ;0)

Quality is worth every penny………………………..

Back to the top
I've heard of fitting a talbot cap but never seen 1. helping do a 16v in a cabby and used an abf cap so the owner can run original servo and M/C til funds allow for upgrade.

1 thing though bud, if you ordered a brand new 22mm M/C, you'd have had 4 ports to play with rather the 2  :wink:
You could then run the brake switch off the pedal like mk2 golf etc or T peice the rear lines together and use 1 port for your original brake pressure switch.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top

caddyrage said

I've heard of fitting a talbot cap but never seen 1. helping do a 16v in a cabby and used an abf cap so the owner can run original servo and M/C til funds allow for upgrade.

1 thing though bud, if you ordered a brand new 22mm M/C, you'd have had 4 ports to play with rather the 2  :wink:
You could then run the brake switch off the pedal like mk2 golf etc or T peice the rear lines together and use 1 port for your original brake pressure switch.

I've spun the dizzy body 180 degrees to allow the tab on the Talbot cap to fit facing forward, but I think I might still go buy and try an ABF one, just for curiousity  :wink:

The Corrado servo came with the 2 port master cylinder, so working with what I've got, but have already made up for the lack of ports by fitting new brake pipes from front to rear and then changing the straight connectors mounted on the N/S below the M/C for 'T' pieces and also using the 'T' piece that was mounted on the underside of the servo as well to give me enough fittings to be able to use one of the original pressure switches. I'll get some photos up of the arrangement when I've got it piped up  :y:  

Back to the top
I see that you spun the dizzy 180, you'd have to do that with an abf cap or you can dremel the tab out and keep the dizzy where it normally is.

The abf cap is also bolted, so you have to force the retaining clips to grip it. Your talbot cap looks much better though.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Been looking at another little problem that I've got deal with very shortly, the issue of the inlet pipe from throttle body clashing with the brake fluid reservoir bottle, couple of photos of how they will clash…….

Did a little looking around the site and found this thread……

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=29984&highlight=

So took Chudds advice and popped to breakers yard and robbed one off an A4, a lot shallower than the Corrado's, but wider……

Also comes with a take off pipe to feed the hydraulic clutch on the Audi, as Chudd mentions just blank it off with a bolt and couple of jubilees……

Here's a photo of it in situ……….

As you can see, it seems very close to the dizzy cap……….

Also seems to rub on the throttle body rubber elbow……….

So thought I'd grab the original Mk1 brake servo and master cylinder and has a lot more clearance…………

I'm going to do a little more investigation on my options, but certainly seems that original servo & M/C fit well, though will not give me any better brakes  :?

Here's my altered brake pipes, where the 'T' pieces are, there normally is a straight connector, so have routed new pipes from front and rear to join up here (will tidy it up when I have 5 minutes  :wink: )

Back to the top
is that it? should have come to the nec  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

Bert said

is that it? should have come to the nec  :wink:
Bert

Hedge cutting, trip to tip X2….usual Sunday chores got in the way   :?

Back to the top
oh ok  8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Is that a mk1 gti throttle body your using mate? It dont look like a 16v model. I sure the 16v TB is'nt as long

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top

caddyrage said

Is that a mk1 gti throttle body your using mate? It dont look like a 16v model. I sure the 16v TB is'nt as long

Well spotted  :wink:

I have the 16v throttle body from the Corrado, but it is longer than the MK1's, so for now, I'm using the MK1's as a stand in during the build…..I'll take some photos tomorrow night of the Corrados T/B and show you the difference  :?

I'll also go and have a delve into other peoples threads on 16v's with Scirroco inlet manifold and see what i find, will report back if i find somethinginteresting……unless someone beats me to it  :mrgreen:

Would have been a lot simpler using the 16v orignal set up going to the O/S  :P

Back to the top
i'm not sure how far adrian (lhasadreams) has got with his, i know he is using the scirocco manifold!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.