Skip navigation

what did you break or find knackered on your mk1 today

Back to the top

what did you break or find knackered on your mk1 today

Today i discovered that the ignition module was goosed.......what will tomorrow bring!!

Back to the top
Mine keeps wee'ing itself every night? got a coolant leak! ha :lol:

Back to the top

engine recondition

sent in the engine for an overhaul  with 157000 on the clock other than the  head gasket weeping was very suprised to find the bores and bottom end perfect what a result re ringed and shells for good measure no rebore required

Back to the top
Got round to sawing the spoiler off to refit it - the bolt I'd sawn off could have been undone by hand because of all the oil splattered on it. Then found the bottom corner of the wing is going rotten - why can't oil go where you really need it? Rest of underside looks well preserved though.

Back to the top

David said

Got round to sawing the spoiler off to refit it - the bolt I'd sawn off could have been undone by hand because of all the oil splattered on it. Then found the bottom corner of the wing is going rotten - why can't oil go where you really need it? Rest of underside looks well preserved though.

fitted new copy wings from local body work supliers no a bad copy part ?45

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

milky said

it rained so the wiper fuse went back in, noticed when putting surf board in the car the lock on the boot is very stiff and was hard to lock - where the hell is the wd40 when you need it!

Id put money on the fact that your wipers are grounding out somewhere, thats why there always on

hhhmmmmm, i will check that out - not sure where to start though! any ideas?

cheers, ben.

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
got a bit of an oil leak, got a bit of a coolant leak & the return spring on the break pedal is free spent half an hour trying to get it back in place last night I gave up in the end not much room in the drivers foot well in a mk1 golf  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

wooly37 said

David said

fitted new copy wings from local body work supliers no a bad copy part ?45

Thanks for that - got to get some work done soon - for the last 6 years I've been saying "get another 12 months out of it"

Back to the top
did service a week or so ago and sorted all the oil leaks ,now its pouring out the airfilter ,doh! ,new engine i thinks

Back to the top
My speakers! And I am approaching the sparkplugs with trepidation after I've done the little water flange thing…

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
1993 Jeep Cherokee. 1985 Scimitar SS1
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top
dizzy and water pump... fuel issue...here will be more!!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
Bonnet catch spring bust! Used a big spring from a brake shoe fitting kit to replace it, does the job better anyway!  :wink:

Back to the top
  1. Oily plug,
  2. Temp guage is always reading hot

Not much really..

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
changed oil,  filter, sump & gasket found 2 snapped bolts & 2 threaded bolts when replacing new sumpy, drillin & tappin this weekend…

Back to the top
Umm, lets see, New filler neck, cambelt adjustment ( loose), incontinent fuel pipe, fuse box is lunch etc, etc.  :lol:

Back to the top
snapped of an injector in the head

Back to the top
changed the suspention leg and found the spring had snapped

Back to the top
broke off the plastic breather in the head great   turning out to be a money pit

Back to the top
the chuffin heater valve is playing up.managed to pull the automatic gear shifter knob off whilst sat at traffic lightrs.lolturns out it can come off if in neutral and you pull up whilst holding the button.....heart stopping for a few secs,lol

Back to the top
Ive sprung a good size fuel leak around the pump, ill investigate tomorrow and try and find exactly whats gone pete tong..
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.