Skip navigation

Second chance GTi

Back to the top

Second chance GTi

Yeah i was only joking, Can't deny i haven't thought about it though.   :D

Back to the top
Bump.

Any progress on the golf alan? You got the garage up yet?

Back to the top
No, no progress. ive had flu since last saturday so ive not even been to work. should all be back to normal next week though as the puppies go at the weekend, so i'l be back at work full time so i'l be able to get things moving.  :D
still no word on when the concrete is going down for the garage, im hoping either later this week or early next. :banghead:

Back to the top

kemk1 said

puppies go at the weekend, so i'l be back at work full time so i'l be able to get things moving.  :D

Your loaded now then from selling the puppies  :lol:

Back to the top
Small update, not much progress  on the golf in the last couple of months. have however managed to get the garage well under way. got the concrete base down and the first level of concrete sides up. going to work on it all over xmas to get the garage finished, furnished and ready to go. so hopefully more updates in the new year with progress on the golf.  :D

Back to the top
have you stole mine thats just how minbe looks lol

Back to the top
lol, i think there are a few around in this state at the moment. 2010 is going to be a good year and building my dream golf is right at the top of the list of new years resolutions. happy new year to all the club members and hope to meet a few of you in the next 12 months.

Back to the top
wow cant belive how long its been since i last posted on here.
got a bit of an update, the garage is up and finished at last, well worth the time and effort got my own space now. no excuses now. progress on the golf has not really changed since my last post but over the naxt few weeks/months im hoping to really get stuck into the body work.
watch this space. :mrgreen:

Back to the top
had a mad day on the golf today, started off by ordering a load of new repair/replacement panels from big boys toys.
they should be arriving in the next week or so, prices were fantastic.
then i went to work and shot blasted the golf which has made a massive difference, NO MORE RUST!!!!
Ive shot blasted a few cars at work now, the transformation is amazing. you push a lump of junk in and pull a fresh clean slate out.
its hard to describe with words but seeing is beliving, every little defect is exposed.
im glad to say that i have not uncovered anything that i was not expecting. ive got a bit more underseal to get off and then re blast in places but im really happy with it, full of inspiration and cant wait to start building it back up exactly as i want it from a blank canvass.
BRING IT ON!!
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
PS; photos to follow so you can see what im waffling on about, lol

Back to the top
Photos as promised,

quite a few pics i know but i wanted to show all the worse bits so i can do a before and after.
been stripping the last few bits of underseal and seam sealer off today, still got some more to do but its getting there.
hopefully re blast it on saturday and off to GTI International on sunday,
happy days  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Alan,Could i ask what media you used to blast the golf and what pressure you blasted at as i have heard so much about panels warping etc i fancy blasting my golf shell but dont want to end up with wrecked panels!

Back to the top
I was worried about this happening too, i used steel shot on it which is very abrasive and has to be used at high pressure 120psi+,
I tried it first on some scrap panels and found that it was fine just so long as you keep it moving and dont go too close to the panel.
I have not blasted the roof as it was too much of a risk on such an unsupported panel, i just went round the edges. on the thicker metal it is fine to blast as normal it was only the rear quaters and floor panels and roof that i had to take extra care.
i would say it was fine to do it just so long as the operator knows what hes doin,
the whole car will be sanded by hand after so wasnt worried about how coarse the finish is, i have heard that using walnut shells works really well giving a smooth finish.
hope this helps, if you need any more info give us a shout.  :D

Back to the top
Now thats awsome rust! The rust is my world and if MKI dont have any kind of rust that is not real MKI! :mrgreen:

I like your moto that everything can be fixed!  :cheer:

Das Gnoj 1,1L 1978.
FEEL FREE TO VISIT US ON www.golfmk1.com.hr

Back to the top

Baljulji said

Now thats awsome rust! The rust is my world and if MKI dont have any kind of rust that is not real MKI! :mrgreen:

I like your moto that everything can be fixed!  :cheer:

thanks, time will tell if im right or not!!
little update:
most of the repair panels have arrived from big boys toys, still a few bits to follow but ive got plenty to be going on with.
will get some more done saturday, then GTI International sunday for some inspiration!!!

Back to the top
Oi Oi, what's going on here then? I know you said you were working on saturdays, but i didn't think you meant on the golf!

So what did you say you would charge to do mine, £60 wasn't it? lol

Good to see you working on it again. I'm starting on mine again this weekend, i hope!

Back to the top
i have been working saturdays mate not all on the golf though. i did all the blasting in about 2 hours one saturday afternoon.
if you want yours done im sure we can sort something out, like i said it would only take a couple of hours. pop round at the weekend i should be there on saturday.

Back to the top
Yeah i'll pop round. Its about time i bought some more tools of your old man!

Hey came across this sick build thread and saw a neat little wheel polishing setup. You still polishing them rims of yours? click > http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t20659-1150.html and scroll right down to bottom.

Back to the top
That is a really good idea, ive got a few mk1 hubs kicking around and a motor, might have to have a go at getting it set up.
I wasnt looking forward to hours of polising by hand.
I dont know if i will be at work tomorrow or not. had an operation on my elbow yesterday and its giving me a bit of stick.i'l let you know tomorrow. :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.