Skip navigation

Second chance GTi

Back to the top

Second chance GTi

Glad to see you took them doors off. Did it make much difference to the weight?

Back to the top
yeah loads, i couldnt belive how heavy they were!! nearly dropped the one when i took it off!! I flipped it over as far as we had it and could pick it back up quite easily. few more bits to come off yet which will also help.

Back to the top
is that the 12 or the 16 valve ? dont forget looms and ecu aswell and before you ask my little lump ent fore sale

Back to the top
16 valves, going to try and get the bloke on northwick to part with that mk2 16v, just got to catch him when hes at the unit to have a word.
Its a 1.8 16v, which from what ive seen from the info on here is a pretty straight forward swap, just need to get a special conversion manifold, move the fuel lines and tinker with the wireing.
still im sure you will be on hand to help? :lol:

Back to the top
Gonna be watching this one, got to start welding on a gti too which has been left to the elements….

Good stuff mate  :D

Back to the top
you try stopping me hopefully will be moaving a little nearer soon to you down the yard tomorrow at ant point ?

Back to the top
nice rolling frame mate

how did you jack it up that high????? 8O  8O

Banner

Back to the top
I helped and ripped my shorts  :banghead:  :D

He used a forklift.

Back to the top
It can be done without one. I used a combination of engine hoist, trolley jack, and wooden blocks. Was a right b*itch though.

Back to the top
just wondered how it was done looks like a nightmare, that why i made my frame like i did

nice an easy just the way i like it  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

just wondered how it was done looks like a nightmare, that why i made my frame like i did

nice an easy just the way i like it  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

For the amount of work i have to do to my caddy, i won't need to take it off for another couple of years :D. Once i have done all the repairs to the underside i'll make a simple frame with 4 castor wheels so i can move it about easy.

Back to the top
yeah its true i used a fork lift, we have one at work, makes it so much easier to move about. sorry about your shorts buster didnt realise you had got hold of all the weight!!! thought it was a bit easy my end!! :lol:
Mght get over to the yard tomorrow but it will only be for a couple of hours if i do. give me a ring if your coming down phillis.
Think that might be a good idea to put it up on castors  for when i get the garage built.

Back to the top
been making slow and steady progress with the mk1. not been at work much as my dog just had puppies. stripped all the doors down of glass, locks, ect. managed to get hold of a new second hand rear hatch in mint condition :D
going to get two good days on it over the weekend, finish taking the few bits that are left off and start the long process of removing all the body seal and soundprooffing mat.
when this is done she will be shot blasted back to bare metal to get rid of the rotten metal and rust :D  :D  :D

Back to the top
Thanks for that mate. I'll be there tomorrow too.

Yeah managed to crack on and get a fair bit done.

See you tommorrow at some point.

Back to the top

Busters_Caddy said

Thanks for that mate. I'll be there tomorrow too.

Yeah managed to crack on and get a fair bit done.

See you tommorrow at some point.

Woops posted in wrong thread!

Back to the top
well had a top result today, got a secondhand bonnet off ebay for ?1.99!!
went and picked it up thinking it could be a proper old dog, much to my suprise it turned out to be a totally mint one!! no rust, no dents, well chuffed!!! :D  :D

while i was there got chatting to the bloke who had a caddy mid restoration and he started offering lots of parts he wanted to get rid off.
came away with a new wing for ?5! bit of surface rust on it but thats nothing to worry about for the price,
and new grille for ?10. :D  

got back to the yard and started on the long job of stripping all the underseal and body seal off the underside of the car.

got a question for you all, what are these for? and whats the best thing to do with them?
was thinking of taking them out and welding the holes over??? :dontknow:

all ideas and suggestions more than welcome  :lol:
hopefully more being done tomorrow.

Back to the top
wel the shell dont look to bad better than i thught it would be :: i dont no what those bungs are for ? thear should be a tub of waxoll in amungst our pile of bits make sure you use it asap to stop rust getting in  : any luck on engine ? i might no whear thear is one will let you no if any good

Back to the top
Did you get much done today? I didn't do any. Had a stuff it day and couldn't be ars'd. Got tomorrow off so should be there all day.

The bonnet looks mint! Bargain for what you paid.

Back to the top

phillis said

wel the shell dont look to bad better than i thught it would be :: i dont no what those bungs are for ? thear should be a tub of waxoll in amungst our pile of bits make sure you use it asap to stop rust getting in  : any luck on engine ? i might no whear thear is one will let you no if any good
the shell is coming up well, got a long way to go yet to get all the crap off it. not being too fussy with it as its going to shot blasted back to bare metal, then it will have a good coat of etch primer to protect it while im doin all the panel work.
still not managed to get hold of the bloke yet, he's very illusive!!
let me know if you can get hold of anything, whole car preferably a 16v so i can use all the brakes and engine. or a mk3 VR6?????  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

Busters_Caddy said

Did you get much done today? I didn't do any. Had a stuff it day and couldn't be ars'd. Got tomorrow off so should be there all day.

The bonnet looks mint! Bargain for what you paid.

yeah got a bit done, only had about 4 hrs up there in the end.
i will b at work from about 10 o'clock til 3. pop round and have a look at the progress if you want.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.