Skip navigation

This is where it all started for me!

Back to the top

This is where it all started for me!

Oooo, looking forward to this ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

watson said

Last time I saw your mk1 Dano, it looked too good to need a restoration.  Have you any idea on a timescale for this ?
About 2-3 weeks!!!  :lol: Goes in on 31/01/11, should take 2 weeks, then an outer hood and finally the wheels. The door tops need a bit of filling again where they split last time then its fairly well sorted.

Just the engine to do then - but that money went when the house boiler needed attention  :banghead: !!!

Thanks for your comments.  :lol:

Back to the top
Photos before the strip down….

And once I got started taking the trim off, this is what i discovered. Not a great shock really.

a1 IMGP2743.JPG

a1 IMGP2752.JPG

a2 IMGP2753.JPG

a4 IMGP2754.JPG

a6 IMGP2759.JPG

b4  IMGP2747.JPG

a7 IMGP2758.JPG

a8 IMGP2755.JPG

b.JPG

b1 IMGP2744.JPG

b2  IMGP2745.JPG

b3  IMGP2746.JPG

b5 .JPG

b6  IMGP2749.JPG

b7 IMGP2756.JPG

b8 IMGP2757.JPG

b9 IMGP2760.JPG

b99 IMGP2761.JPG

cccc IMGP2766.JPG

ccccc IMGP2767.JPG

Off to the bodyshop we went. Straight bar tow this time!! A5OPY wasn't sure!!

d IMGP2768.JPG

ddd IMGP2770.JPG

dd IMGP2769.JPG

The most concerning thing is what will be under the hood once it's flipped back to reveal the groove that the bottom wire sits in!!!!  :dontknow:

Back to the top
nothing major there really, whats your plans full resto?

rob

www.keets-customs.co.uk

Back to the top
Thanks, not being a bodywork/ mechanic type, I was worrying about the actual state of it when 'The Man' was walking round it weighting it up!!! I was expecting a 'condem it' comment coming out!!! His brief is to 'get it back into tip top condition' with no orange peel and a deep laquer to protect the red paint from fading!!

Jobs to do……

Cut out rust, replace with metal !!!!  :wink:

Full respray

New window scrapers (CQ)

New brightwork (CQ)

Refit the decent plastic trim, bumpers, arches, grille etc

New outer hood (Car Hooods Northern)

Refurb wheels (WRC Bamber Bridge)

Touch up the interior door tops where they've split (Trimline, a guy who I know)

Refurb the engine (in time, when funds allow) - by my mate who's actually offered to do it for me!!!

Re-join the show n shine competitions!!!  😉

Back to the top
……Refurb wheels (WRC Bamber Bridge)

have you got a price? jayjay31 got a quote for his wheels and they were really expensive?

Back to the top

PNERivage said

have you got a price? jayjay31 got a quote for his wheels and they were really expensive?

Not yet. But they do do a good job. 😉

Back to the top
Seems weird seeing yours with flaws Dano! Sure it will be looking mint again soon enough ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah it was quite bad once the trim had been taken off.

Soon enough it'll be sorted…… Hopefully!!!! 😉

Back to the top
Just spent at least 6hrs looking for trim clips, badges and front wing… :banghead: no closer. Tell me when your going over to look at your car next so I can have a gander then we can view mine…(car that is) 8)  8)

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top

Dj Ev said

Just spent at least 6hrs looking for trim clips, badges and front wing… :banghead: no closer. Tell me when your going over to look at your car next so I can have a gander then we can view mine…(car that is) 8)  8)
Hello a bit of you show me yours and i will show you mine going on here :wink:  met the guy who is doing Dans car when we took it, he;s a bundle of Laughs :|

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
why dont you have a go at cutting out and preping the car yourself would save a couple
of bob,nice to see its staying origional nothing against modified cars and i understand the
problems with parts so hats off to you.

Back to the top

Dj Ev said

which parts you after?

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

A5OPY said

met the guy who is doing Dans car when we took it, he;s a bundle of Laughs :|

Its the way he tells em!! 😉 I'm more bothered about his work than his entertainment value - I have you for that!!!!  :lol:

andy-b said

why dont you have a go at cutting out and preping the car yourself would save a couple
of bob,nice to see its staying origional nothing against modified cars and i understand the
problems with parts so hats off to you.

I'm a polisher not a grinder. It's beyond my skills and I don't have the time to do it. Keeping a car standard is harder to do these days than modifing it. New replacement parts seem easy to find, the skill is findingNOS or the best that you can…. and it's hard to do!!!!

chortle said

which parts you after?

I'm after a genuine (used if necessary) FOS wing - no repeater hole, rust or dents…. pleeeeeease

Ev is now sorted on the wing front but is wondering about badges - genuine with pins or stick on.

Back to the top

PNERivage said

I went down to WRC the other day.

£250 for 4 wheels. They take the tyres off, bead blast the wheels, remove any dents, buckles etc, powder coat, laquer, put tyres back on and balance.

Does that sound a lot for the work entailed? From all the reports on the internet they seem to do a good job and were busy when I called in.

Back to the top
Not too bad, I'd expect maybe nearer £200. My brothers mate runs a wheel refurb business. Let me see if I can get a member discount going?

(Why didn't I think of that before!!)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Not too bad, I'd expect maybe nearer £200. My brothers mate runs a wheel refurb business. Let me see if I can get a member discount going?

That would be good.

Let me test the goods first on a free trial basis…. all in the name of research you understand!!! 😉

Back to the top

Dano said

PNERivage said

I went down to WRC the other day. £250 for 4 wheels. They take the tyres off, bead blast the wheels, remove any bents, buckles etc, powder coat, laquer, put tyres back on and balance.

Does that sound a lot for the work entailed? From all the reports on the internet they seem to do a good job and were busy when I called in.
doesnt seam that bad when you consider what you are getting for your money.  More or less a brand new set of wheels! looks like they do a cracking job on their website

Back to the top

Dano said

Hairyarse said

That would be good.

Let me test the goods first on a free trial basis…. all in the name of research you understand!!!  :wink:

I understand :wink:  My brother is talking to him so will let you know how it goes. He has done it for another club, although one he runs but fingers crossed he'll see the benefit (of the discount for us that is, not your freeby :D )

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I can not accept gratuities in anyway 😇  Otherwise 🕵️‍♂️ will be all over me!!!
There are too many online users to list.