Skip navigation

27 series1's

Back to the top

car

27 series1's

did you get this from north walsham???

think there was something on here a while ao about that car, i think its 2 motors (cut shut), i may be completly wrong and apologise deeply if so, but there as definately something about a car like you explained with no v5, just a shell with a vin number. (think it was for sale on ebay)

also if you ring vw to get some parts, they should be able to tell you some bits about it from the vin.

dan

here for a good time, not a long time

Back to the top
all i know is theres one here thats stayin here , it was aquired under the 1978 interference of goods act in English law and sold legitimately to me. But really this is a mk1 golf site rather than a lawyers playground, my original question was if i could find out if this site can supply the letter to say its a 1980 golf (confirmation) , and who would i contact if thats the case

Back to the top
it came from near Ipswich, my mate who is the mot tester at the garage has been over it and was happy its sound

Back to the top
Don't worry about proving the age of the car - the chassis number clearly defines this, you won't have a problem in this respect. Remember, this site is NOT a technical authority on Mk1 Golfs, it is simply an owner's club sharing a common interest in the cars. The committee and moderators don't necessarily have the technical know-how to officially supply info like that. (VAG (UK) won't have a problem putting their name to it though).

If there have been only very few 1980 Mk1 Golfs, then its quite possible the previous owner will pop up on here. I'd imagine he'd be disappointed he lost the car but since he got it painted but never paid for it, then I can also understand the garage keeping hold of the car, giving him time to come up with the money, then after a reasonable period cutting their losses.

I know what you mean about different people offering legal advice which might not be 100% accurate. Probably best to do a bunch of enquiries of your own to be sure, though.

Back to the top
the legal side of where it came from is adequately dealt with , no worries there , i do hope the previous owner doesnt have sour grapes cos he had the chance to bid too n if he had done he would have got the car back at half the price of the bill, none of this is my fault, am just a regular guy tryin to make a go of a restoration n not into the politics of fall outs. The shell is pretty damn good whatever its history n ive spent heaps on it n bits for it, hope i can get a reg for it tho, at the end of the day i'm trying to do whats right by the old golf

Back to the top
Best pop into the Police Station and get advice to see if the car is legally yours. It would be a waste of time and money if you get the car back on the road and get a pull off the Police for driving a stolen car. The Police would then seize the car and you could end up serving a Jail sentence.

Back to the top
are you trying to tell me its definately stolen ?

Back to the top
I don't know :dontknow:

but if it is you could end up in jail, lose the car, the job, the house, the wife, friends the lot all for a 500 pound car.

Back to the top
the wife the house n the car all went the last time i was in jail

Back to the top

peeriehutchie said

the wife the house n the car all went the last time i was in jail

:? oops

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

golf1 said

I don't know :dontknow:

but if it is you could end up in jail, lose the car, the job, the house, the wife, friends the lot all for a 500 pound car.

I think your`e going over the top a bit.He`s already said that he`s confident its ok on the legal side.

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Ditto. There is no way you will even get the sniff of a cell. Even if the car is a ringer or a cut'n'shut all you stand to lose is your investment.

Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. They can't pin nothing on you mate so dont listen to none of the scaremongering.

Mind you i reckon i could do a bit of time to get rid of the wife :lol:

Back to the top
not really oops at all mate, just heavy sarcasm, like theres plenty room in jails for that , wish i could address the original question

Back to the top
The only way that you can find out how many S1 GTi's are on the road is to enquire to the DVLA as they will be the only ones who will keep an up to date record but they will only be able to provide you with a number for the UK. There were many S1 sold/exported overseas.
The owners club cant really help as the register is inaccurate as many people seem to not know what there car is and the put all kinds of crap for instance one member has put

A****** EW Mars Red 164082 S1 Hatchback GTI Campaign Standard

Now there is no way that that's a S1 Areg Campaign cos they dont exsist.

Even if the register was accurate you still could not ensure that the said car is on the road/in a useable condition. Also i doubt that any of the members could give you an exact number unless they work for the DVLA

The only other thing to do is start a new post asking for anyone who owns a S1 GTi to step forward but again it wont be accurate as some people who own them wont even know about this site or will choose to use another ie, club GTi ect.

Back to the top
am quite confident now theres quite a lot more as 26, and yes fakes, i bought one in total ignorance off ebay, but that one is being recycled now. It was about 80% series 1 in a series 2 shell, if only i could get ahead wi registering this genuine series1 shell i will put the series1 bits on it n hey presto , a saved series1 , not stolen , not cut n shut , not any other derogatory accusation, your def right , start a new thread i think , and thanks for the positive input

Back to the top
Pleasure :wink:

Back to the top
thers this lady at vw insisting the short vin numbers stopped in 75 and i should have a 17 carachter vin , where do you go from there ?, given her what i know, that 17A0 is the first didits n its a 1980 golf , asked her about last 6 numbers n the info/questions seem to be going into thin air

Back to the top
I?ve asked about this issue in our office this morning.

The general consensus of opinion is that in the circumstances stated i.e., keeper 1 takes the car to the garage for say spray work, can?t pay for it and the garage keeps it FOR A REASONABLE amount of time, then they are entitled to sell it to realise their cash.

For a theft to occur, the garage would have had to DISHONESTLY APPROPRIATED the property BELONGING TO ANOTHER with a view to PERMANENTLY depriving them of it.

The garage HASN?T dishonestly appropriated the property because they took it as payment for work carried out.

At that point the car would still belong to the 1st keeper and once the car had been sold they would be permanently deprived of it.

If ALL the parts of the Theft Act aren?t made out then a theft hasn?t occurred and the criminal courts would touch it. ? Nor would the police (in our opinion)

What the 1st keeper could do is go to the civil courts and make a claim via that method. The civil court work on the balance of probabilities NOT beyond all reasonable doubt that the criminal courts do so the 1st keeper may stand a chance of getting the car back.

The crux of the matter is what the garage has done that can be seen as REASONABLE in the set of circumstances.

There is a link to a VIN checker here, I don?t know if it would work for your VIN number though.

http://www.cybertects.co.uk/scirocco/vincheck.php

Dan

Back to the top

peeriehutchie said

thers this lady at vw insisting the short vin numbers stopped in 75 and i should have a 17 carachter vin , where do you go from there ?, given her what i know, that 17A0 is the first didits n its a 1980 golf , asked her about last 6 numbers n the info/questions seem to be going into thin air

Where does she work? Head office? Dealership? Etc

It sounds like you've reached a dead end. In theory, your car is pukka (eg due to Dano's interpretation above) but in practice without a V5, or the registration number, barriers have been met.

I honestly can't see the DVLA issuing 2 registration numbers against the same chassis number.

Maybe you can visit the local DVLA office and see someone in person, see what they can do?

Back to the top
considering the car was almost 2 years in storage awaiting payment (racking up a bigger bill) i think thats more as reasonable, and the garage i bought it off and the first keeper apparently have no issues , so it annoys me where this "theft" thing was invented from in the first place. Am delighted wi the link , all links, input is much appreciated. The "brick wall" ive met is at VW type conformation , which is a bit of a paradox, many thanks for gettin this thread back on track

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.