Skip navigation

Project Dreamboat

Back to the top

Project Dreamboat

Crackin' work so far mate - Don't see many taking on the interior work as well - Good work that man!

Back to the top
thanks mate…

I am looking for some advice on what material to use to cover some stuff Im working on in the boot/back ( maybe front if I do good enough job ).  I need to cover my new homemade bootcards, my spare wheel cover (I'm planning a wee something something with some MDF) and a new parcel shelf.  Any advice on what to use and where to get it is greatly appreciated, cheers.

This week started with a cycle from my flat in Port Glasgow, to my folks house in wemyss bay.  15 miles on google maps, so I was pretty knackered by the time I got there, seen as I haven't exercised since July.

Nevertheless, I got some stuff done.

finished the bootcards. Genius method of knocking the light hole out, I think I was born for car resto.

Thank you 80 grit, you halved my workload in an instant.  

I couldn't wait any longer to see my grille back on, i forgot what the dreamboat was meant to look like.

this is one I bought on ebay, and the final touch of red at the front.

thoughts?

I refrained from putting the new lights in, but only just, I can't wait til this comes back from paint and I get to spend a day putting bits on.

With my bootcards done (for now, still need covered) I started to strip my old tailgate, and one I bought on ebay.

tried it on the dreamboat without the crap plastic bit, which I think is pretty ugly, and plan to go without.

anyone else removed the plastic bit from their tailgate? is there any reason I shouldn't?

loving the no bumper look.  but seen as I'm driving to Italy, reckon I'll leave them on till I've saved for those wee sexy chrome ones.

these are the parcel shelf side bits I removed, incase anyone has no idea what I'm on about, pretty tatty.

For the tailgate I will need some new badges, and am undecided which to keep, as there both pretty imperfect.  There is one perfect lock seal between the two though, hoorah! :)

Anyway, once I've got my tailgate sorted, it's on to probably the last big job before respray.

Fitting these!

exciting, they look the business, even in old worn skin.
Basically they come with their own sliding mechanism, and just need screwed into something.  I will have to build a frame I think, and attach it to the golf floor.

How in the hell can I do this and know it's not going to fly out the window in an accident?  ANyone any ideas, or know who I should get in touch with?

Anyway, not loads done today, but come on, 15 miles!

Here's a desktop pic for you dreamboat fans!!!

See you Tuesday.

Many thanks,

Tony

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top

Sup peeps.

Sorry it's been so long, I've been working 8 days straight, 13+ hour shifts.  Had Monday and Tuesday off, but as you can imagine spent Monday in my bed.

Infact, that's not entirely true, I was down at dreamboat HQ at 6pm to let Mario and Willy from Greenock VW in (legends) as I had a leaking brake pipe and had honestly had enough of it.  They dropped the rear axle to get better access and fixed it up, so my brakes now work proper good.  If I had to smell brake fluid again I would have gone bush.  PLus, after reading and watching what was involved, I really don't think I could have dropped my rear axle myself.  Anyway, with that done, I don't have to.

Today I started building the car back up.  As far as I can tell, it's mechanically sound, and ready for paint and a drive to Como.

Following Mario's advice though, I'm gonna get it MOTd before I spend all my money on a respray…..just incase something ain't right that needs attention quickly.

An added advantage to the MOt, will be that I can drive it to wherever it get's painted, and remove the cost of towing.

disadvantage though, I'll need to get a windscreen put in now, and there's no chance I'll be removing it for a respray, as I cracked the old one.

Sorry this update's so rubbish.  I've got it pretty much built back.  Need to stick a golf seat in it for the meantime, (don't worry, the tombstones will be going in)
and order some glass.

What do you all think of my MOT then paint plan??  Who's cheapest for a new windscreen?

What do you think of the dreamboat!!?!

Cheers

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top
Here it is. A Tuesday update…no excuses.

Firstly, can I just ask, what the F|/CK is going on with the weather???!?!?!?  It is absolutely freezing out there!!

I won't mind provided the weather is absolutely stunning when the cab's ready for action, but I can't feel my toes!!

Anyway…

Here she is, sitting in her newly tidied garage.

This is all car stuff…  Quite a difference from the original car stuff space, some 6 months ago.

And my..ahem..small collection of doors for my 2 door cab, not to mention there's 2 on it :)

But the dreamboat is happy on her wee rug

Anyway, as I forgot to bring down my ipod, I started today by wiring in my head unit, and labelling speaker wire for the ICE install that will inevitably be gracing these pages some point in the future.

So with the greatest hits of hendrix keeping me company from the 2 26 year old rear speakers, I cleaned my horn, ready for refit.

I think i'll respray it when the car goes off to the painters, but for MOT purposes, it's on and working

Here's a better pic of the new wing, and fyi the bonnet is on right, just not shut properly here, as I was in and out it…

I then put the original driver and passenger seats back in (again, fear not, just for MOT) and tried in vain to get the rear lights working without success…

I gave up, and decided to rewire the horn button on the steering wheel…I accidentally pulled off the wire using wire strippers :) (perhaps too aggressively) so then removed the steering wheel, for no particular reason….you won't believe this.

My lights work!

Well…..my sidelights, brake and indicators.

Still no joy on reverse lights or hazards.

As it was about -100 degrees and I literally couldn't feel my feet.  I called it a day.

I've got a autoglass man coming next week to fit my windscreen, and I should be down earlier, as I won't be up all MOnday night painting MDF.

But I can tick off Day 1, we're on target!!!

(unfortunately, I think rooflining replacement is a no go, as you can't change just the lining, and I don't have a spare £650)

But I've got a windscreen coming on Tuesday, and my MOT a fortnight later.  It's all happening!!

Cheers for all the comments.  Please pray it's a nice sunny day next week…today was horrible.

Oh, and comment!!

Peace.

Back to the top
I started my 6 hour stint in the garage today by putting the dash back in…

This photo kinda hides it, but my speedo/clocks are all scratched down the bottom, so I ordered a new one…

saved a few quid by not getting GTI clocks…and just took the two apart…

making one good unit, out of two with problems.

Not ideal that my car has just got 20000 miles newer, but All works as it should, and there's no scratches…not like i just did it for profit purposes.

A man turned up and fitted a new windscreen :)

first time i've had a crack free, clean window, since the car's been mine.

it seems very little, but everything is back together, including my steering wheel, with comedy horn button.

Next week I've got all day (Jules is away) to get her ready for her first MOT in over a year.

I've got the seats in and dash and dials back in, but I've still got plenty to do to make sure she's got a chance of passing, namely, fix loads of lights!

Anyway, will definitely get some better pics next week once i've got her all back together and cleaned, ready for her big test.

Cheers.

P.S. Third post no comments?  Motivate me, or I sell a cab in bits on ebay!!

pEACE.

Back to the top
some good work goin here bud keep goin soon be finished…it be worth taking screen out for repaint tho…old one broke easy due to the cracks…..laughed my self when i seen that on the rear bearings,some boff in tech department bin smoking crack  lol.not too keen on your painting under bonnet tho,another day or 2 would have been enough to r+r engine then you could have give it a right good scrubbing,no specail tools req i just done mine,check my project out.   p.s good luck with the mot    ;-)

2000 R1   TOY ;-)
2003 CIVIC TYPE R reliable daily
1989 cabby 1.8 gti  ongoing project (my 1st vw)
husqvarna te 410 supermoto
just aquired a series 1 tintop:D

Back to the top
thanks mate, you're right about the engine bay, and I know it's not perfect under there…

To be honest I just wanted to clean it up a bit for now, and get the rest of the car mint.  

Once I M happy with the whole car, paint, interior etc. I'll look to either do a full engine restoration, including bay paint - or engine conversion, including bay paint.

For now though, I am already way surpassing my tech knowledge and loving it.

It looks like you're making great progress on your project, look forward to seeing it done.

Cheers again, I miss comments.

Back to the top
Yeah thanks just stuck now waiting for parts to turn up.
A little tip for you.
I find that sealer bags and permanent maker is the best way for stripping down parts and storing them.it also makes the refit near on stress free ;-)
There is note worse than spending  hours looking for that special screw/bolt.

2000 R1   TOY ;-)

Back to the top
Cheers mate, but I'm way ahead of you on that one, think my freezer bag and storage means are on page 2 or 3.

Thanks for commenting though, hate thinking nobody's watching…here's a mini update:

I fitted my newest ebay arrival…here's the before….

and here's after…

as you can see I was so keen to get it fitted I didn't properly remove the sticker, but fear not, that's since been done and it's looking ace.

Here's the OCD bit…

Before……and after….

lovely new fuse arrangement that no one but you dear reader will ever see  :)

and seen as it was sunny yesterday and has been p*ssing it down the last two Tuesdays, I seized an opportunity to give the dreamboat a nice wee clean ready for her first roadtrip in over a year.

Just need to fix loads of other stuff quickly!!

See you's Tuesday.

Back to the top
looks good mate bet u can just see the light now :)

Back to the top
lol, there's a light? Hopefully see it soon….but I'm fast running out of cash!

Right folks, for a wee change this is going to be a mostly written post as I was too busy working on the dreamboat today to stop for pics.

You've got my word there'll be nice pics when she's ready/going for MOT.

Anyway, following my 8 day plan, day 3 was simply prepare for MOT.

I called in the help of Dazza, as introduced in page 1 or 2…I love school holidays!

Here's a list of what we done (roughly in order):

Wipers back on.
Washer bottle back in and connected.
Horn back on (properly!)
Front bumper straightened.
Front indicators in.
Front inner arches in
Coilovers raised an inch (there's a scratch on my sump and it's never been out the drive :))
Front arches on (included drilling holes in new front wing).
Side indicators on (included drilling hole in new front wing very amateurishly) and bulbs replaced.
Rear reg plate lights rewired and refitted.
Both reg plates refitted (ones that came with car, not my German pressed metal jalopies)

I think that's it…
I've got wiring problems with the lights…I don't have hazards and I don't have reverse lights, checked the switch and can see that that's not the problem, nor is bulbs.  Think I'll refit orig. lights for MOT in the hope they'll work fine.

Still need to:

Get lights sorted.
Replace 1 bulb for rear reg and 1 bulb for side indicators
Fit side sills (body kit) and rear arches.
Fit side mirrors.
Fuel up.
Get to MOT centre.

Will hopefully be back in the garage before next week, as there's a lot to get done.

But I'm off to bed knackered for now.

Peace.

Back to the top
It's the night before the big test…

I randomly, spontaneously decided to restore my car one day, about 8 months ago.  Since then I've spent over a grand, and on most things you'll never even see/notice.  The plan has changed so many times, the timescale always grows, and the only thing that has remained consistent is my love for the dreamboat, apart from when i absolutely feckin hate it.  

While at one point it was the last thing on the agenda, the finale, I reckon my MOT tomorrow is more like halfway.

After a very short drive today (wanted to go get petrol but chickened out) I discovered the dreamboat is far from completion.  There are rattles, and whines and a very unsettled front suspension, my hazards still don't work, like my reverse lights and there is an inconsistent idle as well as a sort of tremble when I brake while stationary.

Regardless of all this, I am driving to an MOt test centre tomorrow (hopefully) in the hope that between tomorrow at 1pm and 10 days time (free retest?) I can get the dreamboat road legal.  From there I can sort all the little whines and rattles, sort my suspension, my seats, my wheels etc. before finally getting her painted and then lovingly put her back together for the last time…in a long while.

I have a hazard warning light coming from eurocarparts, and I've paid for express delivery, so if it's not here I'll be well miffed.  I also have a part to collect from VW (accelerator rubber bush) and am of the belief that reverse lights are not required for an MOT (well, my smart aint got 'em? and was often MOTd)  So there's a chance that although I just look forward to the adventure of it all, and the chance to cruise, I may pass tomorrow.  If not I'll know what I have to do to get her through.

So here's my last update, before the dreamboat's first MOT in 2 years, after 8 months of amateur (read: complete newbie) tinkering….

I rolled her out the garage today to give the roof a wee clean.  Been dying to try out my autoglym fabric hood cleaner and protector.

before

after

particularly happy with the corners that were previously…..greeny white.

She then ran out of petrol, and died.  I "borrowed" my mum's lawnmower petrol, and after a couple of attempts got her started again.  Back in the garage with a nice clean roof, and I went to work…

There is no explanation for what comes next…

After work I went into the garage, starting to get excited about my wee drive tomorrow.  I clayed my bonnet!!!

HAHAHA There are dents everywhere, the car is about 7 different colours, and the drivers side wing has hadrians stickers on….and there's me, reading the directions on my quik detail spray as I open my first ever clay bar and play…

before

after

I know it's unlikely she'll pass, unless I can sort the light issue, if the switch arrives - and there's me, claying and detailing the very dented bonnet.

I guess it's just this project all over….there is no pattern, there is no plan (the 8 day plan will not surpass day 4) and all the while, just one demented weetony, having the best time ever.

Wish us luck, and I'll see you's tomorrow.

Peace.

Back to the top
looks good

your reverse lights are an easy fix

you need power to the switch from the battery, then the other wire goes straight back to the lights

hth

Banner

Back to the top
keep going mate u can see the light then nice drives out in the beast

good luck

Back to the top

:D

Don't think that smiliest of smilies is a typo.

Yes, I failed my MOT, infact, by quite some distance…

and yes, I spent 3 hours looking at this…

But….

I got to cruise about for 30 miles in this……

I completely forgot how amazing this car is!! She's a beast!

Ok, so with my amateur fitment of coilovers my front offside tyre was chewed all the way to the test centre.  I asked the guy at kwik fit to check my camber as I thought this was the cause.  :lol:

Turns out I need some spacers!  and for the meanwhile, my coilovers are wound as high as they go.  

Must admit though, while it's obv. too high, the ride home was amazing! with 0 smells of smoked rubber :)

I failed on 20 points, but it's not all bad.

hazard switch accounts for 2.  wipers account for 2.  The suspension issue accounts for 3 and has since been resolved.

Tyres account for about 4…with for some reason, one tyre facing the wrong way??

The three things that I was looking for, (i.e. anything major that I want to sort for peace of mind of road safetiness (sp) are steering rack gaitor on front near side, exhaust leak at front? (how can i see/fix this?) and ball joint at front.)

So this is what I'll concentrate on as well as the wee fixes before her retest (probably not going to be within 10 days  :lol: ) and probably not at kwik fit. (£40 labour charge to wind my front coilovers up!!!! )

I'll possibly just sort wheels and spacing with 4 new tyres of decent spec before I get retest….just have to do some saving.

This is my new "wall of inspiration"

where everything will be done one step at a time…in order of importance :

8)

In other news…..euro car parts express delivery? pash.  but the rain let me test my hood protector, well chuffed.

Thanks all for the comments, really appreciate the support, and makes it all so much easier.  Looking forward to meeting you sometime soon….ish :)

Peace.

Back to the top
car looks really good and everything is fixeable

but you broke the first rule of motoring never take your car to kwik fit for anything

:)

Banner

Back to the top
kwik fit is where all washed up good for nothing apprentership dicks end up  ;-)
ur list is nothing really,,like list of importance tho first thing you buy smelly tree, spose it cheered you up abit……;-)
what exactly was wrong with the coilies ?tyre  rubbing on spring?
still waitng on parts fo mine,my mot gettin further n further away.just wana get it done…..

2000 R1   TOY ;-)

Back to the top

jaybo said

what exactly was wrong with the coilies ?tyre  rubbing on spring?

yeah, raised the coilies till i can get spacers…can u recommend any?

good luck sorting yours, will have a look for your resto thread.

I know what you guys are saying bout kwik fit, but i wanted a throrough test and reckon kwik fit would properly look for stuff they would hvae to charge to fix??

so when it passes ( not kwik fit) I know it'll be very well built? (as it's a kwik fit mot passer)

Anyway, see you's Tuesday for my 2nd MOT prep work.

Peace.

Back to the top
I'm sorry in advance but today's update is pash…

An update nevertheless: And despite it being a very small step, one in the right direction >>> summer cruisin' (who knows which summer  :lmao: )

So i got down to my folks early doors, and decided seen as I had all day (My parents are away so me and Jules are just staying here tonight) I would start by cleaning my new daily!!

Long story as to how I acquired this wee baby (Jules stole the jeep!)  but I love it! MPG is amazing, and it cleaned up well with my new mini rims.  Which confirms they will not be going on the Dreamboat.

This is why I put mini rims on a honda!

But I have already started cleaning up the original wheels, which is going to be a long process of sanding and spraying…

anyway, that's for another forum.

With the daily looking shiny, I cleaned my maw's mito…

I figured it's the least I could do seen as I'm living in her house, eating all her food etc. etc.

then, fear not dear reader, I turned my attention to this wee darlin':

Made myself a wee brew and got stuck in

:)

Didn't take any photos, because you've seen it all loads before, but I:

Changed both front wiper blades, fixing two MOT issues.

Swapped the two rear wheels over, changing another two issues  :lol:  (should reallyhave checked the tyres for direction of rotation arrows)

Fitted my new hazard switch from Eurocarparts, and although it didn't solve my no hazards problem, it now fits securely, as it has two fixing clips on either side, and i can confirm that's not casuing the problem. So that's another MOT issue ticked off.

With the rear wheels off I regreased both rear bearings heavily and secured them both again as per haynes shoogly test.  I think I have then solved two more MOT issues (feels rough when rotated? - feels just dandy now!)

I wired the fog lamp earth wire into the rear RHS cluster earth ticking another MOT fail off.

I then tried to locate a brake pipe leak (it says where pipe meets flexi)  by fitting a bleeding kit upto my spare tyre to pressure fluid through the system…surely then if there'sa leak it will be visible when I do this?  and no leaks whatsoever??

The suspension has already been wound as high as it goes till I get spacers (anyone recommend best place for them?) so that's another 3 issues sorted (tyre fouling etc.)

so by the end of my day, my MOT refusal looks like this…

I have bought some exhaust repair gum and a wrapround kit thing to solve the "major leak", I think I spotted the leak just infront of the first exhaust box.

I've also found a new steering rack gaiter on ebay for £6 so next week I'll work on the front of the car and hopefully tick off another few issues.

Gonna book another MOt for the 18th or 25th May, and get this ready for Megameet!!  It'll look like a dog, but I'll be in it smiling like a weirdo.

Cheers for reading, sorry again it's so rubbish.

peace.

Back to the top
Great going there Tone - slowly slowly catchy monkey, get those badboys ticked off and you will be legit in no time!

Do those mini tyres you've fit on the civic also fit direct on the golf??

Keep up the good work bro and roll on the sunshine  :D

Sam

86 Cabby 1.6 auto - Super cool daily retro various
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.