Skip navigation

Lhasa Restro Project

Back to the top

Lhasa Restro Project

So started making headway into taking out the engine

before

Rad, battery, k-jet system removed

also figured out why the rev counter was jumping about,nice big groove out of the side of it

TCI unit and wiring out

Also managed to undo one of the driveshaft nuts, takes a bit of grunt as only had a 50cm breaker bar and noting else to extend it

Back to the top
Couple of more bits done, but bit too cold to do as much as I'd like.

Dash

All out and started looking at the wiring, not sure if i will remember how it alls goes back together,

The alarm system is going to be fun to remove.

Couple of more bits removed from the engine bay

Spending more time working out what the electrics/cables do and labelling them up than removing stuff, but it will be worth it when it gets put back together.

Back to the top
You have the same concerns as me!! How it all goe's back together O_o  :lol:

Good start mate. :cool:

Andy.

Back to the top
Looks like a real project you've got there, hope it goes well! Rollover frames are marvellous, means no crawling underneath and no sparks down your neck! My car isn't as bad as yours rot wise, but motivation can be a problem, seems to take ages

Back to the top
Looks like a real project you've got there, hope it goes well! Rollover frames are marvellous, means no crawling underneath and no sparks down your neck! My car isn't as bad as yours rot wise, but motivation can be a problem, seems to take ages to complete anything, but once you finish something it feels great! Best of luck. Matt.

Back to the top
What a great read this is! I stupidly cut the rear seat mounts out of mine when I was breaking it,didn't do it neatly either,I'm now taking the car on as a project and was wondering how I would tackle this bit,where did you get your tub from if you don't mind me asking? Keep up the good work matey :thumbs:

Back to the top
Coming along well. Good luck with the project dude.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Good luck with your project :thumbs:, I took plenty of photos when removing the wiring off mine, only to lose my iphone having not backed them up :'(. Gonna be fun trying to figure it all out again :P

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

You have the same concerns as me!! How it all goe's back together O_o  :lol:
Good start mate. :cool:
Andy.

Jimievo said

Good luck with your project :thumbs:, I took plenty of photos when removing the wiring off mine, only to lose my iphone having not backed them up :'(. Gonna be fun trying to figure it all out again :P

Cheers guys, I've also taken lots of photos which should help me when it comes to it. Let me know if there's any areas you'd want pics of, but there are loads of knowledgeable people on here which I expect would help when I get stuck.

pazwaa said

Looks like a real project you've got there, hope it goes well! Rollover frames are marvellous, means no crawling underneath and no sparks down your neck! My car isn't as bad as yours rot wise, but motivation can be a problem, seems to take ages to complete anything, but once you finish something it feels great! Best of luck. Matt.

Cheers Matt, it's taken a while as the motivation does come and go, and still have lots to get done, it's just finding the time to do it.

smudger1980 said

Coming along well. Good luck with the project dude.  :thumbs:

Cheers smudger, like your 20v project, going for a twin webber set up on mine so not as fancy, well not yet :-)

sphmk1 said

What a great read this is! I stupidly cut the rear seat mounts out of mine when I was breaking it,didn't do it neatly either,I'm now taking the car on as a project and was wondering how I would tackle this bit,where did you get your tub from if you don't mind me asking? Keep up the good work matey :thumbs:

I looked at just patching up the rear tub, but it had got a bit too rusty right at the top and can't get in there with the grinder to cut it out so decided to replace the whole tub which I got from VW heritage, £70 odd for it, not sure if they are still doing it though, wrek34 do one but its 230 euros

http://www.typ-17.de/product_info.php/info/p15269_Rear-arch-tube--right-side-Golf-MK1.html

Good luck with yours

Andy

Back to the top

rubix_02 said

hi rubix looks like you have your work cut out there, but progressing nicely.

could you measure the thickness of the axel mount plate with the 2 studs in if possible please? I am pretty sure that I have a repair to make in that area and need to get stock in to make the repair

Back to the top

mattgti said

hi rubix looks like you have your work cut out there, but progressing nicely.

could you measure the thickness of the axel mount plate with the 2 studs in if possible please? I am pretty sure that I have a repair to make in that area and need to get stock in to make the repair

Hi Matt, as far as I could measure I would say it was 3 to 4mm thick, wasn't the flatest piece.

Back to the top
Have discovered that the rear brace of my garage door is a bit low for the rollover jig, so set about making some brackets for it so I can chop the middle out  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice one dude  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Some new toys from my birthday, I like getting presents :thumbs:

So I have here
Pedal box, but will be taking off the clutch master cylinder.
Braided fuel hose
Pacet fuel pump
King Filter
Speedo cable
Exhaust wrap
Gear linkage kit
And a chrome filler cap  :cool:

Back to the top
Nice! Happy Birthday!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Happy Birthday. You're a lucky fella getting all that :)

Back to the top
Bank Holiday Update,

So I have manged to get quite a bit done, with a big thanks going to my wife for helping and getting stick in.

Managed to remove all the electrics from the bay, remove the engine, the door and bonnet, and get the car on the roll over jig. Here are a couple of pics

my helper

Well earned break

on the Jig

And back into the garage

Can believe how easy it was to move the car and rotate it when its on the Jig.

But one bad thing was I managed to break the sun roof!!! :P  :P  :P  its a push up after market one I think, had dismantled it and just left it resting in the top, rotated the car over and it dropped onto the floor and smashed! So on the look out for a replacement one, if anyone knows of one let me know, only logo I could see was "Panarania Deluxe".

Back to the top
Nice work mate, she's coming along nicely now. Your Mrs looks delighted to be getting her hands dirty helping you :lol:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Nice work mate, she's coming along nicely now. Your Mrs looks delighted to be getting her hands dirty helping you :lol:

I'm sure she enjoys it. Sometimes she doesnt like helping, like when it was minus 2 and snowing when I was stripping my old Bora. But she is always willing to help, and most of all she is willing to put up with me and the mk1 :)  

Back to the top
You're onto a winner there mate. Most birds can't stand car maintenance. :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.