Skip navigation

I'm shocked, look what Drew swapped his lovely MK1 for!!!!!

Back to the top

I'm shocked, look what Drew swapped his lovely MK1 for!!!!!

I'd buy an MX-5, Meant to be a really good car!  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
methinks he's had enough of golfs and who can blame him (old age creeping in and one headache gone). I bet though that the golf will outlast the mx5?

Back to the top

522AYD said

LISTEN GUYS, IM THE SAME AGE AS DREW AND HE'S MADE A BIG MISTAKE BUYING THAT MAZDA (MID LIFE CRISIS GET A SPORTS CAR) HE'S GONE BACKWARDS……..BY A COUNTY MILE.

I'VE JUST SOLD MY TVR GRIFFITH (0-60 4 SECS) AND BOUGHT A 1950 GREY FERGY TRACTOR, AND I STILL THINK IVE MADE A FAR BETTER CHOICE THAN DREW…………..COME ON MATE WHAT EVER POSSESED YOU.

Andy please explain why on god green earth have you bought a tractor have you got a mid life farm crisis coming on  :lol:

i know where you live and it aint a farm where are you keeping it?

must have a butchers

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

A5OPY said

522AYD said

LISTEN GUYS, IM THE SAME AGE AS DREW AND HE'S MADE A BIG MISTAKE BUYING THAT MAZDA (MID LIFE CRISIS GET A SPORTS CAR) HE'S GONE BACKWARDS……..BY A COUNTY MILE.

I'VE JUST SOLD MY TVR GRIFFITH (0-60 4 SECS) AND BOUGHT A 1950 GREY FERGY TRACTOR, AND I STILL THINK IVE MADE A FAR BETTER CHOICE THAN DREW…………..COME ON MATE WHAT EVER POSSESED YOU.

Andy please explain why on god green earth have you bought a tractor have you got a mid life farm crisis coming on  :lol:

i know where you live and it aint a farm where are you keeping it?

must have a butchers

YOU SHOULD BE IN BED AT THIS TIME OLD TIMER………DREAMING ABOUT THAT LOVELY CAMPY YOU JUST BOUGHT

TELL YOU WHAT YOU HAVE THE TRACTOR FOR A DAY ILL TAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN

Back to the top
A5OPY………………..

Keepin grey fergy at home, the golfs going to live with the xr3 in my lock up

Back to the top
Not keen on the styling but runs rings round any cabby.

Banner

Back to the top
Pictures of tractor please  8)

Personally i would not buy an MX5 but they are a popular car and always hear good things about them.

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Really cant belive it Drew did that :banghead:

Well guess thats what he prefers. :|

I wouldnt mind a a old tractor with a Perkins engine in it to be honest.
Love the ol perkins engines :wink:

Though I wouldnt swap my MK1 for it. :lol:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Well, I'd have been disappointed if people weren't shocked!  :lol:

Do I need to justify it? Not really, but for the curious…

I loved my Mk1, I loved the club, I loved the scene and I loved the endless debates (just for the record: standard cars are best, 8v's are better than 16v's and Mk3s are still pants…  8) )

However, I'd driven the ol' mk1 less than 150 miles in a year for the two previous years. Two boys growing up (now 6 and 9) meant virtually no time could be devoted to the car and it was going to suffer as a result.

Without TLC the car wouldn't stay in the condition it was in, stuff would rust and decay. I did indeed think long and hard about it, and decided the car deserved better. It is one of the best mk1s in the country, and it's as famous as they come.

I made sure I advertised it appropriately, I priced it to attract the sort of buyer I thought would cherish it, and I'm very happy it went to an owner who appreciates it for what it is and will look after it in a way that I no longer can.

As for the japanese hair dressers car, well…

My job changed and the old Audi was surplus to requirements, so that got the chop too. I only need a car for the occasional blast and a trip to the station.

I wanted something rear wheel drive, coupe or convertible, not too expensive to run, in green, with leather and aircon, with a smidge of practicality. It had to handle well and have the grin factor.

When you work it out, the Mazda is virtually the only car that ticks these boxes. It's 150bhp, about as quick as the Golf, handles to die for, oversteers in the wet. It's got a limited slip diff and ABS, but no other driving aids - so it's still seat of the pants. (I've already spun it once). The MX-5 is much more popular with the lady-folk than the Mk1. 8)

And I had a Cabrio once and didn't really get on with it.

I had a lot of fun with A419TYE; we met Jez Clarkson together, we beat a Mk4 GTI and an XR3, we wheeled and dealed :lol:

Am I mad? Perhaps :wink:. In my defense I'd say it's the 'driving' I love most, and perhaps life is too short not to enjoy a variety of cars, even if one of the best is and always will be the Mk1 Golf GTI.

All the best with the club - I'll be checking in every so often.

They'll always be another 'Cheers, Drew'. :D

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
nice of you to pop by, and good luck with your motoring in whatever car you decide to drive!

Back to the top
Once again Drew you seem almost to convince me to get rid of my Mk1s for a Jap and a flat cap :D  but i wont not just yet.

Nice to see you here and as you know you will always be welcome what ever you drive  :wink:

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
Good to hear from you Drew, Wish you could pop in the club post a bit more.

No matter what you drive its your choice and you really don't need to justify it as long as you are enjoying it coz end of the day its your decision.

You are foundation of the club and at least i will appreciate all what you have done, will be good to see you here more often.

Take care Drew & all the best in whatever you are doing.

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Drew

Your old car is doing great and brings a smile to my face every time i'm in it.

It's in safe hands.

Will email you a couple of snaps as promised.

All the best

Stretch

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
Looking forward to the pics!  8)

Cheers,

Drew.

Back to the top

stretch said

I think all of us are going to need to see them  :wink:

Banner

Back to the top
At least we know she is in safe hands.  :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

dubboy said

stretch said

I think all of us are going to need to see them  :wink:

Ok

Think these are posted elsewhere on here but for those who are interested. It's just hit 121k and not missing a beat. Fuel lines need replacing for next MOT. Purchased from crazy quiff's so that my next job.

Sorry not the greatest pics.

One taken at a local vag meet.

managed to get the lighting all wrong in these!

Stretch

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
Looks pretty good. Cheeres Buddy :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Lookin' good!  8)  :D

Cheers,

Drew.

Back to the top
quality car both the mk1 and the mx5

i should know i have both  :lol:

mazda is one fun car. rwd is the way forward. or in my case sideways 8)  8) mines an early one use it for commuting and drifting and it never fails to put a smile on my face like the mk1(s)

no i am not a hairdresser,
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.