Skip navigation

Where can i get a lightened flywheel for Mk1 Golf Cabriolet?

Back to the top

Where can i get a lightened flywheel for Mk1 Golf Cabriolet?

fthaimike said

I just started worrying what others would think when you mentioned my pictures, what work was done & the wording "dangerous" in the same paragraph as people may have thought you meant mine…
sorry for any confusion either way.

No need to be sorry. I would consider myself as being irresponsible if I didn't at least note that there are bad sides to something. The mis-understanding has lead to some good and maybe helpful information being passed along so no harm done.

Back to the top

lightened flywheels

GrimyFingers said

fthaimike said

I just started worrying what others would think when you mentioned my pictures, what work was done & the wording "dangerous" in the same paragraph as people may have thought you meant mine…
sorry for any confusion either way.

No need to be sorry. I would consider myself as being irresponsible if I didn't at least note that there are bad sides to something. The mis-understanding has lead to some good and maybe helpful information being passed along so no harm done.

Hi guys, helped me no end, i now have all the info and picturs i could have dreamt of when i posted. Now then, any pics or info on crankshafts and connecting rod lightening and balancing???? :dontknow:

It's ten years since i went out of my my mind - I'd never go back.

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Audi TT Roadster 225 Quatro

Back to the top
Well you have to decide how far you going with it all, how high it will be revving & if it is needed?

My 2.1 8v will be set again to a limit of 6300 which was plenty for it & will have the lightened/balanced hotgolf flywheel fitted but no other internals heavily worked on as it did fine hitting the limiter in every gear every use for 124,000 miles without a hiccup, only when it overfuelled was any damage done though not related (cracked a piston with heat) so it was fully rebuilt but was a testament to how strong she was.

Back to the top

Re: lightened flywheels

Melly said

… Now then, any pics or info on crankshafts and connecting rod lightening and balancing????

You are venturing into a different area then just installing a lightened flywheel. You first have to ask yourself if you need or want to spend the cash to do it? The cost is not all that bad, but if you don't plan to spin the engine all that high then why waste the money. Yeah, it would be a smoother engine, but VW does a fair job of factory balancing anyway (better then many other companies). Then there is your question, crankshaft and connecting rods? That would be a waste as the entire rotating and resipricating mass has to be ballanced to be worth doing. That means shipping or sending the entire ball of wax, Crankshaft, rods, pistons, pins, clutch assembly, even the rings really. And I have seen two versions of balancing done; a) weigh everything, match the weight to the smallest, crankshaft in a kind of "V" block to spin it and see where is settles and adjust the weight according (cheap method) b) all pistons/rods/pins/rings matched then a bob weight attached to the cranshaft with clutch assembly installed and spun, the computer on the machine tells exactly how and where to adjust the weight (more expensive but the best).

Back to the top

flywheel lightening

Thanks for you reply guys, for a bit of back ground info. The engine is the original from my 1993 cabby clipper 1.8 8v carb 106,000 miles owned for 9 years, the whole car is currently stripped out and under going renovation, when back toegether my aim is to use it for hill climbing and sprinting in the unmodified road going classes and low mileage gentle road use :wink: . This class allows the use of any engine that was fitted to any mk1 production golf, now i realise that my best option is to fit the gti engine, but in the true spirit of the class i want to use the engine originally fitted. My aim is to build an engine that extracts the most power to use on events but also one that is drivable on the road by me and the wife :o . I thought that a fully lightened/ balanced bored engine, gass flowed head(Full engine blue printing is allowed) with cam and twin 40's was a good starting point. Any thoughts or opinions?? What sort of HP can i expect for a sensible outlay??
Cheers Simon.

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
problem is power vs money….

most will just stick a 16v in & there you go but they didn't come with one so that would break your competing rules.

all i can say is that my 2.1 8v was about 165bhp 154 torque but it cost a lot of money as i had to pay for the work to be done.

It had a larger pack C head, gas flowed & ported, diesel crank, larger pistons, audi80 throttle body with ground out inlet manifold, 1.6 metering head (more fuel), baffled sump, kstar II engine management etc……

Back to the top
I will be running in the Series Road Production Cars over 1400cc up to 1800cc, so i cant go far with the boring to remain within class rules, so i am guessing its all head/carb/exhaust and rolling road tuning, is it possible to get 150hp from the 1.8 8v with carbs? All work apart from the actual boring machining and balancing work will be done by me so only the cost of the goodies, looking at a budget of ?1000, but could go a bit more for the right bits, any thoughts?

Cheers Simon

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
Was that 165Bhp at the wheels or the flywheel?

Cheers Simon.

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
flywheel mate, it would have to be on itb's & more to ever get that at the wheels & i wanted to drive it on the road so went one cam lower than a full on racing one.

16 would do it easier mind

maybe on a crazy cammed revving itb motor it could be a lot higher but again cost.

a standard engine was 112bhp iirc so not a bad jump & the torque was lush.

I have a 4+E box with a quaife atb diff that suited the power curve well.

Back to the top
Nice one, what make and model of cam was it? and what is a 4E gearbox? ive just won a brand new boxed unused quaife ATB diff today off fleabay for ?420 :D , did you find the diff made a difference?, all i seem to do is ask questions :banghead: All help much appreciated

Cheers Simon.

PS what are itb's are they something to do with throttle bodies and what do they do?

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
itb's yes full throttle boddies but usualy on an 8v they are at the rear as the mk1 engines are not a crossflow engine like the later 16v so need boxing & ducting as heat from manifold underneath them..

The quaife was the biggest & best mod i ever had, you set it into the corner & plant it. Though it is either on or off so backing off mid corner can make the car tail happy.

You could alway dream of having an engine like this in your mk1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8i5G4l6Kkw

8)

Back to the top
Jesus, i need that engine that rev counter was awesome :D  :D , i wonder how much that cost, a guy in our village hill climbs a westfield with a duratech engine in ?18,000 :evil:  just for the engine , its quicker up to 130mph than an F1 car. Is that an 8v engine?? and again please what is the 4E gearbox?, mines an 020 stripped fro inspection on my bench into individual bits at the moment about to clean and rebuild once ive got the casing cleaned bead blasted and clear lacqured

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
Jesus, i need that engine so bad, that rev counter was awesome :D  :D , i wonder how much that cost, a guy in our village hill climbs a westfield with a duratech engine in ?18,000 :evil:  just for the engine , its quicker up to 130mph than an F1 car. Is that an 8v engine?? and again please what is the 4E gearbox?, mines an 020 stripped for inspection on my bench into individual bits at the moment about to clean and rebuild with the Quaife once ive got the casing cleaned bead blasted and clear lacqured

Cheers Simon.

Mk1 1993 Cabriolet

Audi A4 SE Avant

Back to the top
Don't even bother looking into the BergCup engine like i posted above as they are the F1 equivalant of VW hillclimbers so mega mega bucks, just posted it to show you the fastest NA stuff out there

4+E box would be no good for you, it was just available at the time and was better suited to my torquey engine.

Longer gears (4th goes to about 115+) & the 5th gear (the E gear) is just an economy gear for motorway driving so it drops the revs right down, maybe a diesel gearing?

A lower ratio box would be faster.

Mine when it was used on track just to show you it revving etc & to compare the speedo even on a small circuit:
http://video.google.co…ei=ahdmSsyTC8zN-Aaoi81c&q

Get some good top end & heavy braking with the big front brakes (check out how quick the speedo drops sometimes).

has the odd mistake on the same corner were i concentrate to much on the car infront & loose my line.

http://video.google.co…5155880962033013290&hl=en

Back to the top
whats the weight difference between the 020 and 02a flywheels then?

Back to the top
no idea myself sorry

Back to the top

fthaimike said

no idea myself sorry

sacked

at a guess i think its alot  :mrgreen: you elt the weight of one of those 02a puppys

lucky for me i run a 020 with my 20vt which means i run a lighter flywheel lol

Back to the top
Just couldn't be asked to trawl through threads on another forum about flywheels  :lol: , loads of stuff on CGTI if you pop over there.

Back to the top
I ve had my fly wheel lightened but i cant remember there being any balancing marks as on these ones. Those who have a lightened flywheel does you car judder when de accelerating (coming off the gas)?

Many thanks

Shepp
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.