Skip navigation

Instrument Cluster

Back to the top

Instrument Cluster

Hi guys I have recently purchased a new instrument cluster for my Mk1 C tin top, as the orignal did not have a rev counter or trip, bascially things which i found useful so therefore decided to buy a new one. I recived it yesterday however it has one extra socket behind it and not sure what it is for, its a small plug on the right hand side of it and has four wires comming out if i remember correctly. Also heres an image, its not the exact one but bascially the same

But the diffrence between this one and the one i got is that in the top right hand side mine has a sort of swtich which you can turn left or right which has a number 1 and 2 above to correspond with the switching, what would this be for?

Also am i correct in thinking that this cluster has come from a cabriloet? if so what year would that be??

Thanks in advance guys!!!!  :D  8)

Back to the top
the extra plug is for all the mfa bits, and the knob is to change the mfa between modes. 1 = current trip, 2 = average of all trips since last reset.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
It sounds as though you have got a GTI instrument panel there. The 1 & 2 switch is for the MFA on older cars.. For example my 1984 cabby has that set up rather than the later type with the switch on the right hand stalk.

You may have a problem fitting it.

Dan

Back to the top
Ohh okay, thanks for the reply to start with much appreciated :D you guys think that i will have a problem fitting it? becuase i know that there is mpg and obviosuly that will not work with my current setup, but the rest is all elctrical. What years were these available? Am i right in thinking that this is for a cabby gti?

Thanks for the replys guys :D  I will try and get up an image later on if that helps :D  8)

Thanks,

Jeevs :D  8)

Back to the top
I'm in desperate need of a GTI instrument cluster, if it doesn't go in your car then I would but it off you!

Back to the top
I have a fully working GTI cluster for sale if you need one mate? its out of a 1982 1.6 GTI

Back to the top
it'll fit right in and everything except the mfa & mpg gauge will work. the display will work as a digital clock though!

if you want the mfa bits to work you'll need to get the stalk plus all the wiring, fit sensors to the engine and run the wiring thru the bulkhead etc.

Back to the top
oh i seee, nah thats fine as i have vdo gauges that do that anyway :D thats kool thanks for the help guys, but sorry to be a pain in the behind so what model has this come from? cabrio gti? or tin top gti?? lol sorry guysss

Just want to know where its come from

Cheers once again :D

Back to the top
I think it can be fitted to either cabrio or tintop injection models, but earlier pre 83 I beileve.  My 1982/3 carbio GL has these clocks fitted, I know its factory as it had all the correct wiring there for the big MPG gauge and mfa.

Back to the top
Ohh okay i seee, so its factory for both cabrio/tintop from around the 82/83 era?? do you know if this was an extra option or just came with specific models??

Cheers once again :D

Back to the top
i think it was std on all gtis and the high spec injection cabs by then?

Back to the top
Oh okay i see, thats kool thanks for the info i will be installing it tommorow ill let you know how i get on cheers  :D

Thanks for all the help once again :D  8)

Back to the top
is there a diff between 1.6 and 1.8 clocks?

Back to the top

Dom123 said

is there a diff between 1.6 and 1.8 clocks?

There's different 1.6 clocks and different 1.8 clocks! Most 1.8s have MFA, there's at least 3 different variations of clock for these, however I guess there's a few 1.8 GTIs without MFA. If so then the clocks will be the same as the series 2 1.6 GTI.

Back to the top
Think MFAs coincided with the introduction of the 1.8 engine.

Don't think any 1.6s will be MFA as standard and all 1.8 injected engines in UK spec will have MFA. Cabrios may vary slightly but would think they'd be the same?

Imports and mucked about ones may be confusing matters

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Hi guys, i fitted in the instrument cluster on the weekend and got eveything working excpet the clock, when i first fitted it in as a test it displayed but the digits where half there and half not :? then when i took it back out and refitted it, there was nothing :?  could this be due to a lack of current reaching the clock??

Back to the top
pull the fuse for 30 seconds, then put it back in :)

Back to the top
Cheers for the quick response but which fuse would that be??

Cheers once again John!!!! :D  8)

Back to the top
erm it depends which fusebox you have, what year is it and does it have blade or ceramic fuses?

Back to the top
Its an 83 and has blade fuses rather than the ceramic fuses :)  8)

Cheers John
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.