Skip navigation

Anyone Running Stretch For a Few Years?

Would you go for the m3

Yes
No
You do not have permission to vote

Back to the top

Anyone Running Stretch For a Few Years?

Back in 2006 on this forum several threads were about stretched tyres, nothing too silly just Bridgestone 165/50R15 on 6.5 or 7 inch rims.  While it provides a nice tyre profile (from the side IMO) i was curious, are any die hards still running that look?

Its one thing to like the look but another to live with on a day to day basis.

Is it a case of tried it and found it too harsh for normal use?

Back to the top
Interesting question this. I would suspect most people with a decent stretch don't run their car as a daily anyway. I certainly couldn't live with it on a daily basis. I think It's a scene and show thing really although we'll see.

T :dontknow:

Back to the top
I run 165/50/15 on a 6j on my daily

mate runs same tyre on a 7j and he had to pop the tyres on with lighter fluid

Run a 195/40/16 for ages on a 7.5j no issues

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
I used to have 8x13's on 175/50's for a year, no problems there…

Back to the top
Its interesting to read you still do it. I have heard that it makes it a very harsh ride, but its subjective i suppose and depends if you are used to hard rides.  But if you guys are still running 165/50 etc years later it can't be too crashy over the bumps.

The debate about performance is also worth thinking about i suppose, but the tyres in 1977-1984 must be on a poor quality even 185's compared to modern compounds of 165 etc.

Back to the top
I'm right down on coilovers so comfort it not really a option! Lol

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
On a 'stretched' tyre the sidewall isn't vertical, but sloping. This will stiffen them up and make the effective profile lower too. Tyres should be changed every 5-10 years or whatever the manufacturer recommends, due to rubber naturally degrading.

Back to the top

funk-star said

I'm right down on coilovers so comfort it not really a option! Lol

Do you find thats the only way to balance the profile of the tyre and the gap to the arch?  Or is it just a personal choice, just wondering if thats another compromise required to match the tyre to the gap.

paul_c said

On a 'stretched' tyre the sidewall isn't vertical, but sloping. This will stiffen them up and make the effective profile lower too. Tyres should be changed every 5-10 years or whatever the manufacturer recommends, due to rubber naturally degrading.

Sorry i meant that when the 185 was considered right for Golf GTI in 77-84 it was when the tyre compounds were, well from the 70's.  Now increased grip is obtained by improvements to tyre compounds and with the car weighing less than 960kg i just wondered if the 165 is perfectly acceptable? or way short of grip?

Back to the top

Tian said

Interesting question this. I would suspect most people with a decent stretch don't run their car as a daily anyway. I certainly couldn't live with it on a daily basis. I think It's a scene and show thing really although we'll see.

my mk1 20v  has stretched tyres on it  and i run it daily  never had any problems on any of my cars over the last 6 years?

why could you live with it on a daily basis?  there are no differences

Back to the top

scriv said

Tian said

my mk1 20v  has stretched tyres on it  and i run it daily  never had any problems on any of my cars over the last 6 years?

Do you mean why couldn't you live with it on a daily basis?

I think Tian is refering to the harder than standard ride, possibly making it unpleasant.  (i think thats what he means)

Back to the top
I will be putting 164 40 16s on a 7 j in a few weeks

Back to the top

emm said

scriv said

Tian said

Do you mean why couldn't you live with it on a daily basis?

I think Tian is refering to the harder than standard ride, possibly making it unpleasant.  (i think thats what he means)

sorry for my spelling mistake  its been a long day  

god these forums are so touchy

Back to the top
I wasn't trying to correct you, i was trying to understand your point.  

My grammar and spelling is shocking, so i would be the last to pick holes, just check what you meant…

Back to the top
I've seen a few stretch tyres pop off and split to make me think twice

But on my daily I've picked a very low profile and a tiny stretch instead of small width, bigger profile..

I've got 195/40/16 on a 6j Rim up front and 215/40/16 on an 8j rim, the 215 gives a little stretch, but just a little..

My daily is also dropped on coilovers and has covered about 5k miles since dropping, (3 months ago) the current tyre combo has only now seen about 800 miles, but is better than my old, 215/40/17's

I've more issues with ground clearance than anything else..  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
im currently running a 165 50 Bridgestone on some 7j rims- as funkstar said, i had to pop them on with the old lighter fluid trick!
I could NOT live with this on a daily driver as it is way to harsh- my car only comes out when the sun shines!! :mrgreen:
The other thing is that it makes a massive difference on handling- they do not grip in a corner anywhere near as well as a standard fit tyre does so of your going to be giving it some beans in bends i would be reconsidering this tyre size….especially on a daily- either that or be proper hardcore! :wink:

Back to the top

nickl said

im currently running a 165 50 Bridgestone on some 7j rims- as funkstar said, i had to pop them on with the old lighter fluid trick!
I could NOT live with this on a daily driver as it is way to harsh- my car only comes out when the sun shines!! :mrgreen:
The other thing is that it makes a massive difference on handling- they do not grip in a corner anywhere near as well as a standard fit tyre does so of your going to be giving it some beans in bends i would be reconsidering this tyre size….especially on a daily- either that or be proper hardcore! :wink:

On a similar note, what was the effect on your car insurance when you informed them of the tyre size change?

Back to the top
What tyre size change?!!!!lol :mrgreen:

Back to the top

nickl said

What tyre size change?!!!!lol :mrgreen:

The tyre size that the insurance inspector reads off the tyre when the car's upside down in a field of brussel sprouts, just after his boss phones him up and hassles him for not "reaching his targets" for that month on declined payouts due to undeclared mods….

Back to the top
once upon a time fred got to flat tyres on the back of his car and at this point in his life was very poor and only had 2 spare 165/60/15 tyres to put on his 7 inch wide rims little did he know he would create what some call a stretch giving them unlimited scene points

but sadly this was not the case he called it the im to skint for proper tyres look  :mrgreen:

so if you can afford the correct size tyres then buy them  :lol:

Back to the top
and this is safe because…

i can live with mine being just 1 size down as it doesntnotice, but thats silly…
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.