Skip navigation

how many mk1s have gone for scrap?

Back to the top

how many mk1s have gone for scrap?

something else to remember is that all of the tin top owners i've ever met are a member of this club, they have a passion for these cars.

out of all of the cabbies owners i've seen only one is an actual fan of the mk1, the rest just like it because the roof comes down.i'd say 90% of tintop owners would take there car to a vwshow,

and maybe only 50% cabby owners.

i really think someone has just made up the numbers and passed them onto paul.

Back to the top

Dano said

I was surprised to view those figures.

Why didn't you question the validity of the figues at the time? Or anyone else, for that matter. Why wait a year or more, then say you don't believe the historical facts? Why did crazyquiff (whose business, and therefore livelihood) not question the info, since it would effectively be his market and be vital info to base the scale of business/trade on? Or anyone else for that matter?

The DVLA official data suggests approx 50% of each; this is supported in the club register and the attendance at regional meets and club stands at national shows.

As for whatalotafun - all I can say is, you're insight has been shown to be poor in the past on Mk1 Golf related things, and other matters. So I think your own personal opinions on numbers of cars and where the data came from (made up vs accurately obtained by DVLA outsourcer, Experian) can be sidelined as an opinion without any factual basis.

I personally didn't know, so I did the research in the proper way. I didn't guess. I didn't count cars from standing at the roadside, or by keeping a tally as I drove around my local area then multiplied it up to cover the whole country.

Back to the top

paul_c said

As for whatalotafun - all I can say is, you're insight has been shown to be poor in the past on Mk1 Golf related things, and other matters. So I think your own personal opinions on numbers of cars and where the data came from (made up vs accurately obtained by DVLA outsourcer, Experian) can be sidelined as an opinion without any factual basis.

you are probably right paul :mrgreen:

By "poor" i presume you mean "not the same as yours" :lol:

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

paul_c said

you are probably right paul :mrgreen:

By "poor" i presume you mean "not the same as yours" :lol:

Why are you trying to personalise everything? Why question the DVLA figures in such an insulting way (suggesting they're simply made up)?

Back to the top
Children! play nice or not at all!!!! you will both go to bed with no tea!

now back to the task in hand…..any one know of any that gave gone to be a cube?

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
Background info: DVLA don't actually supply the information. They have outsourced data providers, who provide a commercial information provision service. Put simply, they extract depersonalised, statistical information from the DVLA database for sale, and use by, interested companies in the motor trade. So my initial enquiry with the DVLA forwarded me to Experian, one of these companies.

They spend a little time clarifying the requirements (the DVLA database is not structured that well and needed a bit of effort to extract the right info we wanted), and proposed to supply me with the information, on a region-by-region basis, at a cost of ?250 + VAT. The club was unable to afford that, so they supplied national info free of charge (bear in mind this is a commercial data provision company) as a favour.

By suggesting they simply made up the numbers, might possibly close the door on us being able to freely obtain this kind of information again.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Why didn't you question the validity of the figues at the time? Or anyone else, for that matter. Why wait a year or more, then say you don't believe the historical facts? Why did crazyquiff (whose business, and therefore livelihood) not question the info, since it would effectively be his market and be vital info to base the scale of business/trade on? Or anyone else for that matter?

Because I didn't see your post, maybe others didn't either.

All I said was that I was surprised at the figures.

Back to the top
So…moving on….what's everyone's best guess at the numbers still on the road (or SORN) now?

Back to the top
i just agreed with you paul, not insulting anyone.

sorry :dontknow:

Back to the top
the numbers must be in decline not sure how much tho

you always see adverts about cars being broken

i know that people who break car are in turn saving others but for every one car that is broken how many will it save????  :dontknow:

Banner

Back to the top
i should imagine there are more mondeos and corsas scrapped per week than the golfs.

Back to the top
Regarding the DVLA figures - what about cars which were scrapped before SORN came into effect but were never ever reported as being scrapped? Do these cars still exsist in the eyes of the DVLA. They can't just automatically write them off - can they?

I suppose if they only count taxed and SORN then "barn finds" would increase the numbers but the cars I mention above don't come into the sums.

If these cars are part of the figures then really you are only talking about V5's in "existance".

Anyway counting back, I have scrapped 4 over the years if that helps :lol:

Oh and they were wrecked before I got them if you think I was just a rubbish driver :mrgreen:

Back to the top
i would like to think the majority of mk1 tintop owners are enthusiasts whom cherish their mk1's or are being done up, someone who is not an enthusiast and uses their mk1 as a hack i would imagine dont want to spend 10k to buy a new car with or without 2k discount.lol, i have broken a few over the years but save the ones which are repairable, broke 3 up in the  last couple o years 2  were bent and 1 was rotten beyond repair, but they helped keep CNC77Y and EKJ512Y alive and also my recently finished white car and i sold the bits i didnt need to fund my white one. 1 question i have is if someone traded their mk1 in for the scrappage scheme could a mechanic in the franchise buy it or would goverment law state that it has to be crushed??cheers

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

something else to remember is that all of the tin top owners i've ever met are a member of this club, they have a passion for these cars.

out of all of the cabbies owners i've seen only one is an actual fan of the mk1, the rest just like it because the roof comes down.i'd say 90% of tintop owners would take there car to a vwshow,

I think your wrong about cabby owners…these guys are just as passionate about the MK1 as the tin top owners, they have just made a lifestyle choice to own a drop top!

Back to the top

dubhighland said

1 question i have is if someone traded their mk1 in for the scrappage scheme could a mechanic in the franchise buy it or would goverment law state that it has to be crushed??cheers

Good question! I reckon the government would take them as prrof of the dealer taking it in part ex. Also the government want to get rid of as many old cars as they can to try and increase sales of new.

They are under a mith that new cars are greener! :dontknow:

Back to the top
When I was in VW the other day the guy who took great pleasure in charging me ?5 for 2 bolts was telling me about a mint mint mk3 Cab that had been taken in for the scrappage scheme.

He also told me that the lads at the garage wanted it but they cannot do anything about it.

At the end of the day, the govermant are trying to get these cars off the roads. Theyre not going to let people buy them andput themback on the roads are they?

The only way to do it would be to confront the customer before the paperwork was signed for.

Back to the top
ataripower Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:  

whatalotafun wrote:

I think your wrong about cabby owners…these guys are just as passionate about the MK1 as the tin top owners, they have just made a lifestyle choice to own a drop top!

Good point, I was just goint to write this…
I have had "Tin Tops" and lots of cabbys, just own a cabby at
the moment as I have 4 other cars that are tin tops.
For the record I will be buying another tin top soon!
and I dont think any cabby owner is less passionat about their
car than any tin top owner, why would they buy one otherwise????? :roll:
There are plenty of other convertibles around.

Dib.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top

ataripower said

whatalotafun said

i'm not saying that you guys are not as passionate about your cars as anyone else.

if you bothered to sign up her you clearly are passionate about them.

i'm talking about the majoraty of guy/gals that just buy the cabby cos it is convertable. afterall it was the reason i braught mine (that and it was vw)

so basicly if you went out and brought a tintop, it's cos you wanted a tin top.

but people buy cabbies cos they are a fan or because they want a convertable

hope that clears it up

Back to the top
Why would i buy an older out dated cabby, with all the agro of owning a car that needs constant ?s spent on it, if i did not love the marque.

I would have just spent my money on an MX7  :wink:

By the way how many of each were produced ?

I expect   RCA295V  has been scrapped many moons ago   :(

Back to the top
when the cars scrapped the dealer has to have it cubed straight away… they cant then let parts go from it, or it to be saved…. once its ear marked for scrap that's it!

I asked the dealers a good question today though…. does the car have to run to be scrapped?! as I know it has to have a MOT and tax and intheory be able to go on the road…but I don't think it actually has be on the road at the time..

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.