Skip navigation

scrappage! fiat 500

Back to the top

scrappage! fiat 500

well me and the mrs were looking into chopping in the corsa for a shiny new fiat 500,

but it would only be in our benifit to do this under the new scrappage scheme.

so we went down to fiat and they told us that thy would give us ?700 for the car as is

AND

it wasn't included in the scrappage scheme because it was not ten years  old,

now is that the goverment that have set the 10 yr old limit? or is it fiats limit?
cos ford and nissan will take the car under the scrappage scheme!

Back to the top
it is a 10 year limit by the goverment.

what reg is it???

Banner

Back to the top
Thought it was the government's limit, that it has to be 10 years old and you have to have owned it for a year  :dontknow:

Back to the top
it's a v plate,
the dealer was telling me that some missed out because there car was 9 day too young.

but how are ford doing it then?

Back to the top
Goverment done it. I know cos i was gonna use my veccy but its 9 years old :banghead: (but i might pop into Ford now and get a new mondeo. Mmmmm sexy)

Car must be 10 years old and in your name for a year.

Take it to ford and get a fiesta trust me. Ive had two Fiats and they are very very unreliable and badly built. Plus (hypothecticly) what happens if you and your wife decide to expand your family?? do you think that a 500 will meet you needs in the long run??

Back to the top

Raffles said

what happens if you and your wife decide to expand your family?? do you think that a 500 will meet you needs in the long run??

we sure do. it will be my wifes car, she's fallen in love with it.

i on the otherhand will have the family car, a five door golf! :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Women have no taste in cars :mrgreen:

As far as i know Nissan have lowered the criteria not sure about Ford but it looks like the Fiat will be a pipe dream for now unless you can afford to stump up the excess cash.

Try Honda as my sisters got the new Civic and its lush. Looks like a three door as the rear handles are barely visable and its got a LCD dash.

Back to the top

Raffles said

Ive had two Fiats and they are very very unreliable and badly built.

Agree with that - my dad recently sold his 52-plate Punto as it was more rotten than most cars I've seen on here  8O

Back to the top

Raffles said

cough cough

Back to the top

loubylou71 said

Raffles said

cough cough

Although there are certain beautiful stylish ladys with great taste who like to go topless when the suns out :mrgreen:

Back to the top
your bad  :twisted:

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

it's a v plate,
the dealer was telling me that some missed out because there car was 9 day too young.

but how are ford doing it then?

youd be a bit daft to miss out by 9 days, just delay signing the paperwork.

ford are probably just adding a bit extra to the scheme themselves to appear to give them a competative edge. Bet its in the price somewhere.

you also have to have a valid mot, although 14day grace period available.

see below from telegraph article

The golden rule is that these ageing vehicles must have been first registered in Britain on or before August 31, 1999, which was almost ? but not quite ? 10 years ago. (Just to confuse things, the controversial and much-criticised Department for Business and Enterprise insists that the key date is July 31, 1999. But rest assured, August 31, 1999 is accurate.)

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Not sure about the scrappage scheme but don't be put off by a Fiat. We have a new 500 (as a third car) and it's superb. I was very sceptical about Fiat build quality and reliability but I have changed my opinion since we bought it.

Back to the top
ive poked holes in floors on a 53 plate punto,and the brake pipes are coated in salt when they put them on  8O  rot boxes
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

Cynic said

We have a new 500.

Key word is new :lol:  give it a couple of years or so and you will see you hard earned money flaking away in lumps of dead metal.

Back to the top

Raffles said

Cynic said

We have a new 500.

Key word is new :lol:  give it a couple of years or so and you will see you hard earned money flaking away in lumps of dead metal.

All cars loose money mate. Trust me there's a demand for small funky cars and they don't get any better than the Fiat 500, way better than the blobby Mini. The Fiat represents a sound new buy.

T

Back to the top
Im not talking about depreciation im talking about inferior parts and thin unprotected panels.

I would rather buy a BMW German built Mini that will last and keep its value as many Minis still bring close to the price as new after a years ownership because of the high demand. When they first come out people were known to pay more than the list for a preowned one.

Fiats dont last and i learnt that to my cost with a blown engine in a totr Tipo and a rust bucket of a Coupe. Ever since ive brought for build quality and not asthectics.

Tian have you ever owned a Fiat or are you just going by the way they look??

Back to the top
the Fiat 500 is a cracking car, and will hold its money like the BMW mini! its  wise choice as there will always be demand for it

also I dnt like the build quality of most italian things BUT lets get 1 thing clear here, the 500 is a KA! so its joint designed and built with fords new baby - heres a hint go look at a 500 dash and then a new ka dash, the only change is that ford put a KN badge on the dash to remind you where you are.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top

M7R said

the Fiat 500 is a cracking car, and will hold its money like the BMW mini! its  wise choice as there will always be demand for it

also I dnt like the build quality of most italian things BUT lets get 1 thing clear here, the 500 is a KA! so its joint designed and built with fords new baby - heres a hint go look at a 500 dash and then a new ka dash, the only change is that ford put a KN badge on the dash to remind you where you are.

Exactly mate. I can't believe people still can't ditch the old image of the 70's Alfa Sud rust bucket. I have an Alfa 147 and it's built to an amazing spec and standard. Going for the German option purely on build is missing the bigger picture mate.

T

Back to the top

M7R said

And let's hope the new Kak doesn't rust as badly as the old one…

Having had 2 fiats in the family I'll take some convincing on the reliability and build quality aspects. Punto went through 3 head gaskets in two years, ECU, Power steering pump, and the Bravo we had had wasn't much better.

It's a shame as the punto was a nice car to drive. I'm not saying all Italian cars are rot boxes, but most of the Fiat's I've experienced have been unreliable and expensive.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.